TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mentioned on another thread that I was getting a V Star shock for my short girlfriend :)

The V Star shock came in early. I picked the best looking shock off ebay but now I wonder. The rear is VERY bouncy now, as if there were only a spring with no shock :( . Before putting it on I looked at the preload setting. The V Star is a very much heavier bike, the girl is about 115 (I think, Im not allowed to ask), so I set it at the lowest....1. Im 180, I got a pretty good jump on my property, it bottoms out when hitting the ramp.

Question. Will increasing the preload get rid of the bouncy? I hope so but dont think it will.

Lastly, dont know why I didnt think of it but the kick stand is useless now. Those that have used this shock what did you do about your kick stand?

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I used the V-Star for awhile and was very happy. I did not want to lower anything as I am about 6'. I was looking for comfort/soft. No one wants/needs bouncy. My shock worked great and I was very happy. Of course, I had to make a bracket extension to duplicate the height of the stock shock so I would likely not create other problems (k. stand).

What leaves me puzzled is your comment about a jump, and the shock bottoming. Remember, with the shorter shock, your tire is closer to the fender. You should not bounce with a good body. If your body is shorter, your shock is shorter and your tire is more likely to hit if you jump. Correct me if I am wrong, but, with the mod you needed to do, you can't have it both ways; full stock travel, lower seat height. My V-Star next to stock. Gerry

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TWilight, yes I did try to compress it on the floor before install. My exact words were "shit that aint happening" :)

I know the TW aint a jumper but it was an easy way to test to see if it would bottom out. It bottoms out when hitting the ramp, not when landing. And its not huge...........hold on........Ill go take a pic.

Heres the shock I got.
2002 Yamaha V Star XVS1100 XVS 1100 Rear Shock Suspension | eBay

Looking at the auction pic, I had to remove the monkey motion off that shock. Looking on partzilla, thats the bottom of the shock. When I put it in I oriented the same as the TW shock, body down, piston rod up. Meaning I think I installed it upside down.............if thats the case................boy do I feel stupid. Could an upsidedown shock cause it to be bouncy?

As far as the kickstand......its useless. Its straight up and down, I could blow on it and it would fall over (the bike).

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I found my answer (I love talking to myself :) ) From Monroes website

Can shock absorbers be mounted upside down (rod end down) and still function properly?
Most modern shock absorbers utilize a twin (dual) tube construction; in order to work properly the inner of the two tubes (working chamber) should stay completely filled with oil. The outer (reserve) tube contains an oil reserve along with air or a pressurized gas. If the unit is mounted inverted (rod side down), the air or gas in the outer chamber can enter the inner working chamber, resulting in poor damping performance. Therefore, twin tube shock absorbers should not be mounted upside down (or on their side), with the exception of specially designed units that incorporate a gas cell, or cellular gas material, designed to keep the gas retained in the outer reserve tube.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugggg.............I hate doing things twice. Off to go do it again :(

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That did it! :) No more bouncy. I set the preload to midway now the only way the tire will rub is flying off that jump the opposite way, rubs on landing. BUT, Im 180 pounds, girlfriend is 120 and WOULD NEVER do anything like flying off a jump :) so no worries there. I think were good to go. Thanks for the offer Gerry, dont think Ill need it though.

I will have to shorten or get a shorter kickstand, heres a pic of how she sets. I dont trust it like that so put it on jacks for now.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. Since my shock was not at all bouncy, I am perplexed. I remembered that my shock no long has the spring installed, so I went out in the shop and clamped the shock in a vice I have mounted on the floor. Put a rod through the mounting holes and pulled and pushed the shock. Either way the shock offers significant resistance regardless of which end is up. The shock appears rebuildable, and not likely gas filled. The end the rod comes out of has three evenly spaced cut outs for a spanner of some sort. I am left with the impression that with the right tool, or a brass drift punch, that end can be unscrewed and the shock taken apart. How many years did they make V-Stars. Were they all pretty much the same? Gerry

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our 2 shocks are not exactly the same. The difference I see is your preload adjuster looks like most shocks, at the bottom with ramps and notches you can see. If you look at the ebay ad pic, my shock has the preload adjuster inside the metal band with holes in it, you cant see the ramps and notches.

Now obviously that has no impact on if it can be installed upside down or not..........just that they are different.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok on to the kickstand. At first I was researching a shorter replacement but if I did find one it would be stab in the dark and Im sure Id have to do some mods. So, decided to cut mine down. First time I cut about an inch section out of it. Had some thread all to put in to act as a temporary support. Not even close. Cut another inch and 3/4, perfect! The foot now sits flat on the floor and the bike is properly leaned. Going to take it to my shop where I have grinders to prep the weld areas and of course a welder to weld it back together. Im going to stop at the hardware store to see if I can find something to put inside the tube (kickstand is hollow) to give it more strength so its not completely reliant on my questionable welding skills :)

TWilight, not sure how you got away with not shortening the kickstand. I had to take 2 3/4 inches off mine, probably closer to 3" taking the space my 3 cuts with a hack saw made.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
"If you want my body, pay shipping and send me a surprize (you be the judge)."

was i the only person who giggled when they read this?
am i far too juvenile for this board?

oops.
I'd say you were right on the money badcat. It has always been my thought that a misunderstanding like that with a Harley rider could get you killed. Being the well rounded fellow he must be, TWROG just let it slide. I was however really looking forward to that 'surprize'. ;) Gerry

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok all done. Didnt go to the hardware store, had some 3/4" thread all from a past project laying around. It was real close. So I just tapped the inside of each kickstand tube, put the thread all in one end.

And screwed on the other end. Lined it up and it left a little gap, perfect for welding.

I am NOT going to show my lack of welding skills :) So here it is after grinding and painting.

I used an angle finder app on my phone, it leans 2 degrees less than my 09..........close enough. Dont know if the pics will stay side by side but here is before and after.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That did it! :) No more bouncy. I set the preload to midway now the only way the tire will rub is flying off that jump the opposite way, rubs on landing [...]
Sorry to necro, but I wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH, I would never have thought to try this. My vstar shock was an absolute pogo-stick, terrible. Flipped it around just now (did it without removing swingarm, lots of shoving and swearing, but it works!), and SO much better now!

If any mods/admins see this, do you think this flippy-info could be stickied or somesuch? I'd say it's worth it. Or maybe it's just super obvious to everyone else :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts