TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Tw has approx 1000 miles on it. I finally got around to doing the 1st valve adjustment/check on it yesterday.

I was surprised to find that ex and in were both perfectly within spec. ( 3 on the in and 5 on the ex. )

Has anyone else found this to be the case? Is it normal or common to require no adjustment?

Just curious.....

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Hopefully many will chime in to get a good consensus. I suspect the answers will vary.

Here's my experience: On my 2005 TW, I only had to adjust 1 valve one time and that was it over the 13,000 + miles I had on it. Because of a mechanical issue not related to the valves, I put in a replacement engine and didn't have to adjust the valves in it at all. Checked often on both with just the one adjustment.

On my new 2015 TW, I checked the valves last week. Had to adjust both. So, the jury is out if this will be common on this engine or not. However, I would say in my case with my previous TW engine(s), it was not common.

·
Registered
19,197 Posts
My valve lash stayed within specifications until a very minor adjustment was made ~5,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I did mine at about 800 miles and although they were almost within spec, I put them back in the middle of the range. Did them again at about 4,000 and 10,000, just to get them back in the middle.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Neither of my 2015s required any adjustment at 600 miles. One was at the max (loose) on both valves but still in spec.

Admiral, on your 2015 were the valves loose or tight?

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Neither of my 2015s required any adjustment at 600 miles. One was at the max (loose) on both valves but still in spec.

Admiral, on your 2015 were the valves loose or tight?
Both were tight.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
In theory, the clearances will get tighter as the valve face and valve seat wear in, reducing clearances, but the valve tip and rocker arm will also wear in, increasing clearances. The two rarely wear at the same rate, which is why some engines show less valve clearance and some show more as time goes by. Other factors will affect this, so even if your valve clearance in a specific engine may get tighter over time does not mean that it always will.

Which is why all manuals specify a periodic check! :D I've seen it go both ways.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What happens when it gets too tight? When i adjusted my used tw that i bought. The intake valve (i think) was a little tight. Still a very small gap but it was getting close to dangerous id say.. Any thing i should watch? I've barely ridden it since then.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
What happens when it gets too tight? ......
If either one gets to zero clearance they will hold the valve slightly open and the valve head will burn up. Intake is not as easy to burn up from too tight clearance as the exhaust. One could probably get to less than .002 on the intake with nothing bad happening, so don't worry.

What happens with too loose clearances is that the adjusting screw hammers against the valve tip with too much force, leading to early demise of both. It also affects the valve timing. Bottom line: Valve clearance checks are important and should not be ignored. Every 4,000 is reasonable after the first check around a thousand miles. And of course ANY used bike should have its clearances checked!:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts