TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Guys,

If I would like to go to a oil seal shop or something similar, which size I have to look for inc ase I want these gaskets?

Intake Valve Cover Gasket
Exhaust Valve Cover Gasket
Oil Filter Big Gasket
Oil Filter Small Gasket

Please no OEM parts or similar, I think I have to go there and give them a measure in millimeters and probably something relative to an heat resistance ratio (I guess the valve covers gets super hot)

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Good plan, you should be able to find matches, especially if you take the cleaned up covers and old gaskets with you the the store.
My local industrial hydraulic repair shops and parts jobbers have oil resistant o-rings in numerous metric sizes. They just used a micrometer on my cover and then pulled new o-rings from their inventory. Perhaps buy a few spares too?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good plan, you should be able to find matches, especially if you take the cleaned up covers and old gaskets with you the the store.
My local industrial hydraulic repair shops and parts jobbers have oil resistant o-rings in numerous metric sizes. They just used a micrometer on my cover and then pulled new o-rings from their inventory. Perhaps buy a few spares too?
Point is that I should go with my bike since I don't use car XD sooooo it will be sketchy to remove the covers for valves and oil filter there, I was hopeing if someone of you had a measure of inner diameter and width of the orings

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
For the valve cover o-rings try size: 2-140 N-70

I paid 21 cents each and that was probably high but a hell of a lot better than the 9 dollars each Yamaha wanted.

Oil filter big gasket try: 2-227 N70
It is a teeny bit to big but it works OK.

Oil filter small gasket try: 2-108 N70
It is a teeny bit to small but it works OK. I am using both without any problems.

Tighten bolts just tight enough to compress the new o-rings. The bolts don't have to be any tighter than that.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I paid 21 cents each and that was probably high but a hell of a lot better than the 9 dollars each Yamaha wanted.

It is a teeny bit to small but it works OK. I am using both without any problems.

Tighten bolts just tight enough to compress the new o-rings. The bolts don't have to be any tighter than that.
This 2-140 is like a code? I don't know if here in italy we use this kind of measure etc

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Elime listed identification using American standard nomenclature based on fractional inches. Your Italian suppliers likely have appropriate cross reference sources like the following to convert to the various european standards.
International O-Ring Standard Cross Reference.
While this source does not directly identify elime’s O-rings it, and related articles, explain logic behind US nomenclature and have links to other cross reference sources. Italian professionals should be able to help you by interpreting the US codes and supply you with equivalently sized and oil resistant O-rings.
Buona fortuna.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
I guess fathers can be useful after all. Congratulations to the both of you. Like elime I too was curious if the local shop could successfully make a cross reference from the US designations. I would have assumed so.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess fathers can be useful after all. Congratulations to the both of you. Like elime I too was curious if the local shop could successfully make a cross reference from the US designations. I would have assumed so.
Well I assume they can do that since I even found a spec table with conversion for the US code, 2-140 mean like width 2.60mm and 58mm diameter, things like that, so it would have worked anyway :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Point is that I should go with my bike since I don't use car XD sooooo it will be sketchy to remove the covers for valves and oil filter there, I was hopeing if someone of you had a measure of inner diameter and width of the orings

hi slime, where did you buy those 2-140 N70 o rings for the valve covers? I cannot find them anywhere. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
hi slime, where did you buy those 2-140 N70 o rings for the valve covers? I cannot find them anywhere. Thank you.
The place I used to buy them now has a minimal amount you have to buy, something like $25 because some people I told about the place went in there and bought one o-ring at a time. Not worth their effort for such a small sale.

Try Grainger.com

·
Registered
172 Posts
The place I used to buy them now has a minimal amount you have to buy, something like $25 because some people I told about the place went in there and bought one o-ring at a time. Not worth their effort for such a small sale.

Try Grainger.com
Thank you elime

1 - 16 of 16 Posts