TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adam-in-Nevada had a stripped exhaust valve cover bolt and we lamented the labor entailed in removing head or engine to re-tap threads or install heli-coil. After a little brainstorming the following solution was tried successfully:
Adam simply epoxied (JB Weld?) a stud in stripped out head, waited overnight then secured cover over stud with a lightly torqued nut. So far a successfull repair. Adam so far has been either too bashfull to boast of this clever fix here or is too busy riding the wheels off his TW torture testing this simple repair.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Very interesting and resorceful solution. I too have an exhausted valve bolt hanging in there by just a thread or two. Next valve adjustment would probably be the last time the bolt would hold. I hope Adam can keep us informed if this is still working throughout the year. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Repair actually looks very clean and correct, like something Yamaha could have done. A nut is as good as a bolt in my book if it does the job, and the stud actually helps index cover in correct position for reassembly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm in the same boat... One of the three bolts looked like it'd been epoxied in the past when I checked my exhaust valves a couple weeks ago. I was and still am contemplating putting in a heli-coil as I'd used in the past with great success on a crankshaft where the flywheel bolts to it. This coming winter will be the planned tear down of my TW to freshen everything up and will probably be the time that I put a "coil" in there, till then; epoxy it'll be (unless it starts leaking real bad). Who tries to put 50ft/lbs of torque on these small bolt anyway?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Stripped two of mine, myself.
Cut a longer bolt into a stud and then Loc-Tite'd it into position. A friend suggested that I should have used a socket-type set screw instead...might try that "next time".
Have used the cut-bolt setup for the past three years and no issues.

Go easy on those tiny bolts!

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice to hear your fix is holding up over time. I was unsure about epoxy's long term durability in hot oil and vibration

1 - 7 of 7 Posts