TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I bought a 2007 T-dub about 1month ago. First motorcycle ever, and I'm loving it by the way. I have gone thru this bike pretty heavily. I have changed the oil, the air filter, adjusted the valves(3 times). Adjusted the chain. Adjusted the clutch lever, and brakes.
So my issue is.....I'm turning the crank until it's at TDC and the intake valve is just closed in the sequence. I set the exhaust valve to .004, and the intake valve to .002. All of which is done while the bike is at room temp. Which from everything I've seen or read is correct. I don't have the actual maintenance manual because I would have to take out a second mortgage on my house to get one!
After adjusting the bike sounds great and feels great, but after I go for a ride, and it heats up, it has a little bit of a "tick" to it. I am a perfectionist, so this is driving me crazy! Anyone else have the same situation? I'm interested to hear everyone's input. Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi, Stu - welcome aboard! The searchable PDF is the way-to-go for factory info. With that said - my '87 still had a mild tick after adjusting the valves to factory specs. Try going a few thousands in or out on each valve and see if it helps a little. However, even after some tweaking I still hear some ticking after she runs awhile... keep in mind these engines are not quiet!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ok, so I bought a 2007 T-dub about 1month ago. First motorcycle ever, and I'm loving it by the way. I have gone thru this bike pretty heavily. I have changed the oil, the air filter, adjusted the valves(3 times). Adjusted the chain. Adjusted the clutch lever, and brakes.
So my issue is.....I'm turning the crank until it's at TDC and the intake valve is just closed in the sequence. I set the exhaust valve to .004, and the intake valve to .002. All of which is done while the bike is at room temp. Which from everything I've seen or read is correct. I don't have the actual maintenance manual because I would have to take out a second mortgage on my house to get one!
After adjusting the bike sounds great and feels great, but after I go for a ride, and it heats up, it has a little bit of a "tick" to it. I am a perfectionist, so this is driving me crazy! Anyone else have the same situation? I'm interested to hear everyone's input. Thanks!
My 2006 does the same thing, start cold and valves are pretty quiet, at about the ten minute mark idling the intermittent tick starts. Researched and there is a lot of info on it on the web. Saw one Youtube vid of a dealer demonstrating just this behavior on a new bike! I wouldn't worry to much about it. TW's are just noisy as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I'm gonna assume that I'm just being too Anal. I appreciate the help and the reassurance. I guess I just need to focus more on riding the tires off of it and less on every little squeak and creak.

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
Ok, so I'm gonna assume that I'm just being too Anal. I appreciate the help and the reassurance. I guess I just need to focus more on riding the tires off of it and less on every little squeak and creak.
The TW engine is a noisy engine and makes some sounds which make us uncomfortable compared to the quieter running engines...like a quieter running lawnmower engine for example. Hard to explain but the TW engine will let you know when it's not running right so just keep an ear out for something which sounds even more abnormal if that makes sense. I'd rather be anal and listening and asking questions than ignoring a sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts