TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Guys,

I am having in the recent two days some problems with my 1993 TW
Basically when I am in third with a steady throttle (I even use a lock mecanism to make sure my wrist is not into play) the TW start to do a bit of back and forth like if I am super slighty pulling and releasing the throttle, it's suddle but it's there and no other gears do that, but I am constantly accelerating and not mantaining a steady speed the "problem goes away"

Also I am noticing in 5th gear that when I am at kinda low speed (I use a 45tooth sprokect) and when I am around 50-60 if I turn the throttle to the minimum possible to trigger the trottle the bike will start to slow down as I am out of fuel (impossible because I made a refule just 30 minutes ago)
this happen basically everytime

Also sometime looks like the bike has some "spikes" when I accelerate or have a constant speed, like I am giving a bit too much throttle but actually I am not

the bike has 50.000 km and I changed the oil 1 month ago, together with oil filter only in the last two days is doing this problem

what could be the culprit?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes brother, I had precisely the same problem and after searching for months to find the problem I traced it to a faulty cdi unit, if you have one of the newer bikes it will cost you around US$100 but if you have one of the older models like me it will unfortunately cost you around US$260 for a new one.

It is because of the fact that it is an electronic device that it is so expensive, but I promise you it is worth the money, you will not regret it

Edit: I see you have a 1993 model, so its going to be the more expensive one that you're going to have to buy

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Possibly the carb needs to be cleaned. First try opening the idle mixture screw 1/4 turn. If no good try another 1/4 turn. Maybe even a 3rd or 4th time. If no good it is back to cleaning.

Try the cheap / free things first.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes brother, I had precisely the same problem and after searching for months to find the problem I traced it to a faulty cdi unit, if you have one of the newer bikes it will cost you around US$100 but if you have one of the older models like me it will unfortunately cost you around US$260 for a new one.

It is because of the fact that it is an electronic device that it is so expensive, but I promise you it is worth the money, you will not regret it

Edit: I see you have a 1993 model, so its going to be the more expensive one that you're going to have to buy
can You show me a photo of this CDI? I am italoan so IDK what that mean

·
Registered
635 Posts
The cdi is the black box on the right hand side of the motorbike, the purpose of the cdi is to send the spark to the spark plug at the right moment, but first clean the carburettor properly and then see if the fuel tank is clean and fuel flow is good and then if you still have the same problem you have to maybe replace cdi

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

What is the difference between old and new ones? Do they have different connection method or similar?
How should looke like the one I have to buy for the 1993 one?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
My first TW was a 93 also. It was also the most trouble free one I have owned. But, it did not have an acceleration gland.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The old ones and the new ones are NOT the same at all, the wires are completely different

You must go to the Yamaha Dealer and you must ask for a C. D. I. unit for 1993 TW200

The part number for the unit is 2YG-85540-M0-00

·
Registered
779 Posts
I would start with a carb clean and check for air leaks on the intake boots. WD40 around the carb boots while running should slightly alter the idle if there is a leak. 93 boots could be brittle and leaking. Next would be a six sigma or similar jet kit. Make sure you have the main, needle and mixture correct. Still a problem? Plug and wire replacement, then maybe CDI? If nothing else, the bike will be in optimum tune if and when you have to replace the CDI.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
May I ask You guys a guide or something on how to remove/clean the carb and where to find the Fuel Mixture Screw?

Also there would be a way to adjust the fuel mixture screw without removing the carburetor? To remove it I guess I will need a bit more time which during these days I will not have

·
Registered
635 Posts
I recommend that you take your bike to a motorbike workshop so that a mechanic can have a look at your bike and find solution to the problem.

The carburettor needs to be removed and dismantled and cleaned properly, you do not have a choice, it is the only way to fix the bike

If that does not work then get new cdi

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I recommend that you take your bike to a motorbike workshop so that a mechanic can have a look at your bike and find solution to the problem.

The carburettor needs to be removed and dismantled and cleaned properly, you do not have a choice, it is the only way to fix the bike

If that does not work then get new cdi
I'd prefer do that my own, by myself I changed sprocket, chain, tire, mounted a disc brake (with everything related to it except the removal of air bubbles from the braking system), changed suspension with a new one (always tw200), changed oil and filter, cleaned air filter too
Dismounted almost completely another TW200 except still for the engine, carburetor part which IDK where to place my hands, but the bike was pretty much completely ripped apart and rebuilt
I'd like to learn at this point of to deal with a carburetor like I learned to other stuffs, it's always handy to be able to do things by Yourself

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys another simple question
What ia the CDI gets completely broken? The bike could still run even if really bad or it will simple cease to work until replaced?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts