TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like others, I have read about Vermont NOT requiring titles for vehicles older than 15 years or less than 300cc engine size. I wanted to share my positive experience. I purchased a 1990 TW 200 that had been used offroad only - no title. I called my local FL sheriff's office with the VIN before buying to confirm that it was not stolen. I also called the DMV with the VIN and they confirmed that it had never been titled. DMV did have original sale information reported to them on record from 1990 which matched what the seller told me (he was the second owner, told me who he had bought it from, which matched what DMV had for the original purchaser.) I obtained a signed bill of sale when buying the TW listing year, color, VIN, mileage, sales price, seller and buyer's address and contact info. I called my local DMV office to ask how to title it. the person was very honest, saying that it was a difficult and expensive process. I asked if he was aware of the Vermont registration route and he (laughing) said he was aware that some states have different rules than FL, but if I brought in a valid registration from a state that did not require a title and requested to title in FL, that they would issue me a FL title. He did add that if FL charges a higher sales tax than the other state, I would need to pay the added sales tax (my local rate is 1% higher than VT so I will need to pay them $5 when I title it.) Also, I would need to get my VIN verified.

Being doubtful, I called the Vermont DMV. The VERY helpful person said that yes, they register vehicles from any state, I don't have to live in VT or have a VT address, they do not require titles for vehicles over 15 years old or motorcycles with engine sizes under 300cc and they would happily take my sales tax payment and registration fees and issue me a registration (after checking VIN to see if reported as stolen.) She did say that when I bring the MC to VT, I would need to have a safety inspected. being honest, I said that I had no intention of moving to VT and would be using this to get a FL title. she laughed and said that she had just done one for a MC in Hawaii. she said that they look up the value in NADA and the sales tax is calculated on the higher of the price on the Bill of Sale or NADA trade in. I asked about the inspection and she said that I couldn't legally drive it on VT roads until I got it inspected, but that was only enforced during traffic stops for other reasons and of course, only in VT.

So I sent in my application and check for 6% sales tax and $44 registration fee. got my VT license and registration yesterday. Once I complete my frame up restoration, I will take the registration to my FL DMV and get my FL title. since it is an out of state registration, I need to either bring to the DMV office or have a law enforcement officer verify the VIN.

This obviously wouldn't work for a stolen MC. although I checked with the DMV on the original sale, that was for my peace of mind; you can't be too careful. if you go this route, I suggest you contact your local DMV before you buy a bike without a title. your results may vary!

here is the link to the page where you can get a PDF of the instructions.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations/drivers/new

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought my TW while living in VT, then a month later moved to MA. So I went through a similar experience getting a title in MA. Folks at DMV in VT were VERY nice...folks in MA not so much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Living in VT and having just registered 3 vehicles, I can say that the people are very helpful and nice. The only slight complication was that you MUST know who the previous owner of the vehicle was, so you can put that on the form. Made registering the car I've had for 3 years tough... I'd forgotten from whom I bought it and had to do some research.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's how I got mine titled. As I've posted on here before, it works in Alabama but they give you hell. My local DMV was nothing but helpful, it's the state office that pitched a fit. Rejected my application twice, sent me a title, and rejected it again. They apparently had no clue clerk #1 sent me a title so clerk #2 rejected it again for no reason....

Too late I had my title so nothing they could do!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'd start a new post on that, we seem to have a decent amount of PA riders here. One of them might know and be able to help, but you are to far north for my expertise on the law.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a 76 kz900 that i bought for $90. the guy i got it from used to have a bike shop and lost the title, i have no idea who the last owner before him was, it hasnt been registered in over 15 years, will they issue me a regi?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I lived in Vermont for 40 years and I agree, the folks at the DMV are probably the nicest I have met anywhere in my travels.

But after 40 years of suffering through dark cold dreary winters, hot humid summers, paying EXHORBITANT property taxes, outrageous income taxes, and now having the distinction of having the highest HEROIN ADDICTION IN THE USA along with the crime rate that goes along with it. .....

I am very happy to call the US VIRGIN ISLANDS HOME SWEET HOME.

Year round weather is 84 degrees during the day and 78 at night with slight variations during August and September.

A"rainy day". Is a blessing (as we collect rain water for our home use) is rare and happens maybe once a month.

Island speed limit is 25 mph. Perfect for the TW200.

I have been here 4 years and ride. A bike EVERY SINGLE DAY YEAR ROUND !

Maybe 100 bikes on the island and at least 50%. Are TW200 !

I still have Vermont registation using my Carribean address.

Vermont will ALWAYS TAKE YOUR $$$$

:)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I just spoke to a woman at the dmv and she claims I need to have it inspected by a Vermont licensed shop to assure it's street legal. Shoot I'm in a pickle
If you're trying to register a TW you should have no problems, just send the paperwork in and make sure you send the correct amount of $$. The TW always has been street legal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm the new guy here, but not new to small bikes and the joy of registering them in Vermont.

Couldn't be easier, and after 6-7 small bikes...Passports, Trail 90s, Elite scooters, CB's....I've never been turned down, never had any issues at all.

The best time occurred around this time of year. I mailed my forms, left for Florida for a vacation, came home a week later to find a package with paperwork, and cool green plates.

Vermont is the state to go for small bikes. I've heard that Maine is the state to register a trailer...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I should have updated my experience. Aftre I talked to that woman I called back and was sent to a different guy. Who was actually a guy in prison. Which I thought was awesome. Smart how they utilize their prisoners. He told me differently and explained if it was over 15 yrs and under 300cc it was ok. I mailed it out last week so I'm anxiously awaiting.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts