TW200 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well i talked to VT they didn't have an issue with anything except said I need a bill of sale from the original owner and a copy of they last registration. That, at this point is an impossible feat. I don't K ow what to do now. Rotten luck I guess.
honestly. just make a bill of sale. you could write your grandma's name on it and they will never check or have a problem with it.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
When I sold both of my TWs, 88 & 91 I drove the buyer to VT. And went in the DMV with him. I had the titles to both bikes and already gave him a bill of sale. They never asked anything of me, never asked to see the titles and once he paid the sales tax and reg. fees he was good to go.

I would caution any one in one area. Make absolutely certain the bike was never reported as stolen in any state. VT does run the numbers and if the bike comes back as hot then you will be in serious trouble. VT is rather lax with small MC registrations but anything but a push over. One story I heard from a guy who bought a bike that was a theft recovery from an insurance company. Three weeks after he got it registered in VT the state police had an arrest warrant for him.for receiving stolen goods. Good thing he had the proper paperwork from the insurance company or he would have been hauled off in cuffs and the bike confiscated.

GaryL

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Very nice SuperTrooper, helpful info for sure!! Thank you!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Vermont is one of a few states that realizes many of these older bikes, cars, boats and trailers have lost paper trails. I will caution any member here to be very certain the vehicle you are attempting to register in Vermont is not of questionable ownership. They are not just saps making a loop hole and they do check vin numbers against the known stolen vehicle lists. Do not play any games with the relaxed attitude in Vermont because it can and will come back to bite your arse. They do make it easy but if they find some issue making your vehicle illegal down the line you could easily get a knock on your door from the law with papers to confiscate your ride and arrest your slick arse.

GaryL

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks to GaryL and his knowledge on this matter, I have my 2010 TW registered in my name now, in Vermont. Being that it is good for the year, I will wait till it is about to run out, then register it in N.Y.
Vermont is one of a few states that realizes many of these older bikes, cars, boats and trailers have lost paper trails. I will caution any member here to be very certain the vehicle you are attempting to register in Vermont is not of questionable ownership. They are not just saps making a loop hole and they do check vin numbers against the known stolen vehicle lists. Do not play any games with the relaxed attitude in Vermont because it can and will come back to bite your arse. They do make it easy but if they find some issue making your vehicle illegal down the line you could easily get a knock on your door from the law with papers to confiscate your ride and arrest your slick arse.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Thanks to GaryL and his knowledge on this matter, I have my 2010 TW registered in my name now, in Vermont. Being that it is good for the year, I will wait till it is about to run out, then register it in N.Y.
Why even bother transferring the reg. to NY? Vt will send you a renewal form for way cheaper than this communist state and a legal plate is a legal plate no matter what state you drive in. If you do decide to go to NY or any title state after the year they will charge you a Title fee and in around 8 weeks you will get a new title in the mail. I will highly recommend to any one to register all your small bikes, trailers and boats right in VT. By doing so all you need when you sell it is to sign the back of the registration just like NY used to have before they raped us with this BS title deal. If you make a simple mistake when you sign the back of a NY title it voids the entire title and gets painfully costly and a long wait applying for a duplicate title and waiting for 2 months for it to arrive. Vermont is just so simple and you never have to go to the DMV and be mistreated by those idiots, they do it all through the mail.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Gary,
You have to be careful with out of state registration in some of these money hungry states. In Calif. if you have gainful employment, or do not have a permanent address in the out of state registry of the vehicle, the fines are rather heavy here, plus you still have to transfer to Calif. If you come in from out of state to work with another state plates on a vehicle, you have 10 days to transfer to Calif without penalty. I know, but that is the way it is.
Mel

·
Registered
33 Posts
In the great state of Nevada you have 30 days for an out of state registration to register it here. After 30 days, if you're pulled over it's a hefty fine. It is also illegal to sell a vehicle with an out of state plate in this state.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Both are interesting rules you quote. Now see if you can answer this question. You buy a vehicle that was last registered in Vermont and Vt. does not issue titles on vehicles like TWs. You get just a transferable registration. Are you saying a California or Nevada resident is not allowed to buy a vehicle from VT. ?

As far as the plates go I follow that. Here in NY we get lots of winter snow birds who go to Florida, register and insure their cars there and then come home for the summers. Police for the most part overlook this because they know it is a big money grab and a royal PITA to have to re register your car every winter in Fl. and then every spring here in NY.

Back to the registration thing. If you pay the sales tax in VT. then you do not have to pay sales tax in another state. Possibly some states could say Vt. is 6% and this state is 8 or 10% so you pay the difference but the fact you paid sales tax and have a receipt should be proof enough.

I don't profess to know or understand all the laws and rules in all the states but I am sure anyone should be able to buy a vehicle from any state and get it registered in their own state. I did get stopped with the Vt. plate on my 1991 and the cop asked my why it was registered there. I just told him my wife's family has a summer home there and that is where I bought the bike and usually leave it. Easy for me since Vt. is just under 2 hours from me.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
In the great state of Nevada you have 30 days for an out of state registration to register it here. After 30 days, if you're pulled over it's a hefty fine. It is also illegal to sell a vehicle with an out of state plate in this state.
I think it is or should be illegal to sell any vehicle in any state and leave your old plate on it! Sign over the certificate of ownership, registration or title and remove your plate before it leaves your possession.

GaryL

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think it is or should be illegal to sell any vehicle in any state and leave your old plate on it! Sign over the certificate of ownership, registration or title and remove your plate before it leaves your possession.

I agree 100% , that can lead to big problems. What I should have typed was, you can't have a " for sale " sign on a vehicle with out of state plates. Strange but true

·
Registered
8,371 Posts

I agree 100% , that can lead to big problems. What I should have typed was, you can't have a " for sale " sign on a vehicle with out of state plates. Strange but true
Here in NY it is illegal to even sell a titled vehicle if you don't have the title as proof of ownership! The bill of sale for such untitled vehicles must clearly state, "Sold for parts only". The police don't get involved unless the vehicle comes up on a Hot/stolen list but unless you pulls some fast tricks you will never get it re titled here in NY.

Good to hear SeeBee!:D

GaryL

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Their are two TW200 on Craigslist now with no title's. Price is too high for parts bikes. May be that will take another route.
Just approach lost or no titled bikes from a stand point of substantially reduced values. Believe me, the owners absolutely know what an issue this is but may not be aware of the alternatives we know.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Has anyone taken a VT registration to a Florida DMV to exchange for a FL title? Did it work? thnx
I can't speak for Florida but I did sell my XT 225 that had only a Vt. registration to a NY resident. He took the Vt. reg and the bill of sale to the NY DMV and they issued him a new title that took about a month to get through the mail. He got a temporary registration while he waited for the title to arrive. No issues what so ever.

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
Wonder if the Vermont ease of title/registration also works for autos?
Someone who shall not be identified has a fire breathing Shelby Cobra replica that was originally registered with a salvage title from Tennessee purporting vehicle to be an original 1964 AC Ace (as if current vehicle was built on an original 1964 frame; actually has a fresh tube frame). Annual registration worked until state declared these replicas were modern vehicles and did not meet a myriad of current smog and safety regulations and thus essentially were in-capable of being registered for street use.
I looked at the nice Barnfindtitles.com site but their web page seems to address bikes and campers only. ac-cobra-replica-351-cu-in-09.jpg

The thing is basically a big loud motor with 4 tires and wheels on a less than modern suspension. And yes those side pipes will melt any socks, nylons and ankle flesh that gets in close contact.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 108 Posts