TW200 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
20,485 Posts
Any details Smitty, or a helpful web site I should investigate for the owner? Alabama and/or Arkansas DMV?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Vermont still works

I just got my Vermont plates last month. Obtained my Washington State Title in the mail yesterday. Still works great!!

Like others, I have read about Vermont NOT requiring titles for vehicles older than 15 years or less than 300cc engine size. I wanted to share my positive experience. I purchased a 1990 TW 200 that had been used offroad only - no title. I called my local FL sheriff's office with the VIN before buying to confirm that it was not stolen. I also called the DMV with the VIN and they confirmed that it had never been titled. DMV did have original sale information reported to them on record from 1990 which matched what the seller told me (he was the second owner, told me who he had bought it from, which matched what DMV had for the original purchaser.) I obtained a signed bill of sale when buying the TW listing year, color, VIN, mileage, sales price, seller and buyer's address and contact info. I called my local DMV office to ask how to title it. the person was very honest, saying that it was a difficult and expensive process. I asked if he was aware of the Vermont registration route and he (laughing) said he was aware that some states have different rules than FL, but if I brought in a valid registration from a state that did not require a title and requested to title in FL, that they would issue me a FL title. He did add that if FL charges a higher sales tax than the other state, I would need to pay the added sales tax (my local rate is 1% higher than VT so I will need to pay them $5 when I title it.) Also, I would need to get my VIN verified.

Being doubtful, I called the Vermont DMV. The VERY helpful person said that yes, they register vehicles from any state, I don't have to live in VT or have a VT address, they do not require titles for vehicles over 15 years old or motorcycles with engine sizes under 300cc and they would happily take my sales tax payment and registration fees and issue me a registration (after checking VIN to see if reported as stolen.) She did say that when I bring the MC to VT, I would need to have a safety inspected. being honest, I said that I had no intention of moving to VT and would be using this to get a FL title. she laughed and said that she had just done one for a MC in Hawaii. she said that they look up the value in NADA and the sales tax is calculated on the higher of the price on the Bill of Sale or NADA trade in. I asked about the inspection and she said that I couldn't legally drive it on VT roads until I got it inspected, but that was only enforced during traffic stops for other reasons and of course, only in VT.

So I sent in my application and check for 6% sales tax and $44 registration fee. got my VT license and registration yesterday. Once I complete my frame up restoration, I will take the registration to my FL DMV and get my FL title. since it is an out of state registration, I need to either bring to the DMV office or have a law enforcement officer verify the VIN.

This obviously wouldn't work for a stolen MC. although I checked with the DMV on the original sale, that was for my peace of mind; you can't be too careful. if you go this route, I suggest you contact your local DMV before you buy a bike without a title. your results may vary!

here is the link to the page where you can get a PDF of the instructions.

New Registration | Department of Motor Vehicles

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I have a Vermont tag on my 88. I just run it.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I think I may have posted about this previous (don't get old) but after 6-7 trips to the NY DMV last month I finally did get a real title and reg for a CT. motorcycle that came without it.

Without going into the process here in the Empire State which apparently is tougher vetting than most, one of the clerks told me that they are going to start busting chops on VT. paperwork if it is not actually tied to a real VT. address. So that revenue-making machine up there might be coming to and end, at least for us New Yawker's if you don't have a friend, buddy or relative who has a VT. address.

So locally for us it might well be worth it to just keep it registered in VT. rather than use it as a paper-laundering instrument.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I think I may have posted about this previous (don't get old) but after 6-7 trips to the NY DMV last month I finally did get a real title and reg for a CT. motorcycle that came without it.

Without going into the process here in the Empire State which apparently is tougher vetting than most, one of the clerks told me that they are going to start busting chops on VT. paperwork if it is not actually tied to a real VT. address. So that revenue-making machine up there might be coming to and end, at least for us New Yawker's if you don't have a friend, buddy or relative who has a VT. address.

So locally for us it might well be worth it to just keep it registered in VT. rather than use it as a paper-laundering instrument.
I would agree with this. Once your bike is registered in VT there really is no reason to transfer it to NY as long as you keep the bike. Just renew it in VT which is cheaper than NY anyway and most cops would not keep track of how long the bike has been here in NY. I just say I use the bike in VT at our family or friends lake house and bring it here for a month or two in the summer or fall. If you sell the bike then the new owner certainly can get it registered and titled here in NY or keep it with his own VT plates and registration.

I have two kayaks I bought used and added electric motors on them. Kayaks don't come with titles to begin with because they normally are not motorized vehicles. I never got the COO for either of them, (Certificate of Origin) so NY says I must register them when I add the electric motor but there is no way to register them without the COO. Both are registered in VT and for half the price NY charges if I could register them here. NY is just being ignorant, nothing new about that, but there is a way around it.

GaryL

Reactions: Miaugi

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
It’s fun running a Vermont tag. The last motorcycle event I attended in Gettysburg I had a guy congratulate me on riding so far.

Reactions: CS1983 and Fred

·
Registered
20,485 Posts
Registering a kayak after adding electric power can be frustrating. I was successful but the DMV trainee who did not have a mastery of english language made transposition errors in my paperwork. Later this resulted in the local DMV stalling me until a Highway Patrol Watch Commander could apprehend me for possession of a 42 ft fishing boat stolen out of San Diego. He strong armed me out of the DMV into the parking lot and demanded to see the 42 footer. As we were standing in shade cast by my kayak on my truck's lumber rack I simply pointed up. A quick check of the hull's serial number resulted in a few chuckles, a per functionary apology and I was on my way.

Reactions: Mel

·
Registered
637 Posts
It’s fun running a Vermont tag. The last motorcycle event I attended in Gettysburg I had a guy congratulate me on riding so far.
Did you reply, "And it only took 2.5 gallons of gas!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Three weeks after he got it registered in VT the state police had an arrest warrant for him.for receiving stolen goods. Good thing he had the proper paperwork from the insurance company or he would have been hauled off in cuffs and the bike confiscated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So that revenue-making machine up there might be coming to and end, at least for us New Yawker's if you don't have a friend, buddy or relative who has a VT. address.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Go back to some of my posts in this thread and you will see where I clearly state that VT is in NO WAY a push over scam operation where you can "Launder" hot or stolen bikes. I drove to the VT DMV to get 2 of my bikes registered for our friends who came from Australia and rode those bikes across this entire country. While standing at the VT DMV counter I watched the clerk run the VIN numbers through the stolen bike data base while we waited. It would not be a good idea to even attempt such a scam while in VT. Trying it from afar in another state but going through VT would have similar results as VT would certainly notify the local authorities in your state and you would get that proverbial knock on your door by the men in blue. Face a few facts about Titles. Not all people are real good with record keeping. Once you are absolutely certain the bike with a lost or missing title is clean and not stolen you are sure to have a real issue here in NY trying to get it registered. Our DMV is damn near impossible to work with in this regard. I have even gone to the DMV with the original owner who misplaced the title and filed all the paperwork to get a duplicate title and they still make it near impossible. It took well over 2 months waiting for him to get the duplicate title so he could then legally sell the bike to me. Then the state of course wants the full value tax paid by both him and again by me plus all the other BS fees. Every time a motor vehicle changes ownership there are taxes and fees to be paid based on the value of said vehicle. VT is no different and a registration issued from VT is good to go in all 50 states with no VT residency required. Motorcycles under 300 CCs or older than 15 years are very often the subjects of lost or misplaced titles and likewise for small utility trailers and older fishing boats. NY will advise you on a utility trailer to down right lie and say it was home made when in fact it was a manufactured trailer. We can't fix stupid but VT will and does.

GaryL

Reactions: OldMan

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
If it's stolen, it's stolen and as stupid and inconvenient as most states DMV are, at least most try to prevent this.

What I got from my own NY DMV visit is that unless you can prove you have an actual address in Vermont (like a tax bill, a phone bill, a water bill, a home insurance bill) that you can tie to the bike registration & plates in your name, then NY will no longer view it as a valid reg, or title. Like a second or Summer home/ski home. You'd have to go through the whole process of non-titled vehicle which I can assure you is not fun and not always successful. So that is coming here basically "calling" VT. as a title-laundering state. I think it used top be Georgia a long time ago.

Doesn't mean you couldn't just use and leave the VT. plates on the bike indefinitely. But will affect sale later on, at least in my state. Forgetting about the VT. title for a minute... I have seen some incredibly beautiful bikes for sale but without a title sadly they are worthless to me/not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
If it's stolen, it's stolen and as stupid and inconvenient as most states DMV are, at least most try to prevent this.

What I got from my own NY DMV visit is that unless you can prove you have an actual address in Vermont (like a tax bill, a phone bill, a water bill, a home insurance bill) that you can tie to the bike registration & plates in your name, then NY will no longer view it as a valid reg, or title. Like a second or Summer home/ski home. You'd have to go through the whole process of non-titled vehicle which I can assure you is not fun and not always successful. So that is coming here basically "calling" VT. as a title-laundering state. I think it used top be Georgia a long time ago.

Doesn't mean you couldn't just use and leave the VT. plates on the bike indefinitely. But will affect sale later on, at least in my state. Forgetting about the VT. title for a minute... I have seen some incredibly beautiful bikes for sale but without a title sadly they are worthless to me/not worth the hassle.
This may be a new deal with NY but I can tell you for 100% sure that I have sold 3 TWs all registered in VT to NY residents and all three bikes were re titled here in NY without issue. VT gives you what NY used to give before we went to Titles, a Transferable Registration.

GaryL

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would agree with this. Once your bike is registered in VT there really is no reason to transfer it to NY as long as you keep the bike. Just renew it in VT which is cheaper than NY anyway and most cops would not keep track of how long the bike has been here in NY. I just say I use the bike in VT at our family or friends lake house and bring it here for a month or two in the summer or fall. If you sell the bike then the new owner certainly can get it registered and titled here in NY or keep it with his own VT plates and registration.

I have two kayaks I bought used and added electric motors on them. Kayaks don't come with titles to begin with because they normally are not motorized vehicles. I never got the COO for either of them, (Certificate of Origin) so NY says I must register them when I add the electric motor but there is no way to register them without the COO. Both are registered in VT and for half the price NY charges if I could register them here. NY is just being ignorant, nothing new about that, but there is a way around it.

GaryL
I knew several people that just ran VT tags in NY, rather than then transferring to NY. Only once there was a bit of trouble, buddy got pulled over for something dumb (supposedly the loud muffler prompted the stop), and of course the cop immediately had questions about why the bike had VT registration, but the rider had a NY driver license and address (and had for years, so obviously hadn't recently moved). He told the cop that he had a hunting cabin in Vermont and usually left the bike there, why it was registered out of state but his other bike was down so he was using this one. Apparently the cop didn't like this explanation- I thought it sounded pretty plausible - and detained him for like an hour on the side of the road while he sat in the car and made a bunch of calls. Ultimately the cop didn't do anything aside from remind him there was a 60 day time limit on using out of state registrations, and totally forgot about the loud exhaust.

I've heard the rumors/speculation that some states are "cracking down" on accepting VT registrations without supporting evidence you are/were a resident there, but I've yet to see any first-hand accounts of someone being denied a transfer due to this.

Even if that does happen, it'd still be fairly easy to circumvent, albeit with an extra step. Just call a post office in vermont and rent a PO box for whatever the minimum time is(probably 3 or 6 months, but it's only a few dollars a month). Immediately set up mail forwarding from the PO box to your actual address. When you do the VT reg application as normal, put your address as the PO box, so that's what will be shown on the reg card. They'll mail it to the PO box and then it'll get forwarded to you. That way if/when you want to use the VT registration to obtain a home state, it has a VT address on it so they can't give you any flak for not being a VT resident.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I knew several people that just ran VT tags in NY, rather than then transferring to NY. Only once there was a bit of trouble, buddy got pulled over for something dumb (supposedly the loud muffler prompted the stop), and of course the cop immediately had questions about why the bike had VT registration, but the rider had a NY driver license and address (and had for years, so obviously hadn't recently moved). He told the cop that he had a hunting cabin in Vermont and usually left the bike there, why it was registered out of state but his other bike was down so he was using this one. Apparently the cop didn't like this explanation- I thought it sounded pretty plausible - and detained him for like an hour on the side of the road while he sat in the car and made a bunch of calls. Ultimately the cop didn't do anything aside from remind him there was a 60 day time limit on using out of state registrations, and totally forgot about the loud exhaust.
I would have told the cop I bought the bike from a guy while in VT and all it had was a transferable registration but no title. Me and the owner went to the VT DMV because I didn't trust the No Title deal. VT let me transfer it right then and there all legal. Back here in NY when I went to register it at the NY DMV they told me NO Title and No Good so I just keep it registered in VT. Cops are very well aware of the ignorance and all the BS we get at the NY DMV. I sold 2 TWs that were plated in VT to NY residents. One had no problems at all and got it registered and a new Title and the other was told he can't register it here. That guy went to a different NY DMV and got it done again with no problems. In case some here in NY haven't realized, not all of the clerks at our DMV offices have a brain and know the rules.

GaryL

·
Registered
4 Posts
In mid-Feb, I bought an abused 2012 TW that had been sitting uncovered in a guy's side yard for several years. It had been stripped of all the components that made it street legal (mirrors, turn signals, brake lights, horn, and passenger pegs) and had been used exclusively as a dirt/trail bike. When I approached the guy about selling it, he said he would, but that he didn't have a title and would only provide a bill of sale. He said he had titled it in NY, but when he moved to Florida, had lost track of the the paper title and didn't want to deal with the hassle/expense of getting a replacement for a bike that was basically a dirt bike. I got the VIN off the bike and had the DMV look it up; it was clean and the few datapoints they would disclose (state of title, date of most recent registration, reported stolen or salvaged) supported his story, so I went back and bought the bike for $800. With a bit of help from eBay and a TON of help from this forum, I got the bike running and back to street legal. After reading this thread and a bunch of other threads on other ADV bike forums about the Vermont registration (not a "title" because it's less than 300 c.c.) I decided it was the best route for me. Although lots of people do it themselves, I'm just not a paperwork kinda guy so I paid Moto Recycle to handle it for me...their fee was $200 but it was quick and easy and I didn't have to suffer multiple rejections from Vermont's DMV for inaccurate paperwork, which was a common occurence on the forums. Anyhow, all's well that ends well and I'm loving this little bike. TW .jpg

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Congrats! How long did Moto Recycle take to get registration? That’s an awesome deal if all you had to do was street legal stuff.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats! How long did Moto Recycle take to get registration? That’s an awesome deal if all you had to do was street legal stuff.

And welcome to the forum.
Thanks, Badger! Yup, spent a little over $300 bringing it back to life and getting "street legal" plus another $200 for Moto Recycle's services. I paid their fee plus Vermont's DMV fees/taxes via PayPal on Feb 27th and was bolting on the new plate on March 17th.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts