TW200 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't own a TW (one day perhaps)but i had to register here to share my VT registration experience. I printed the registration form from their website, filled it out as best as i could. I took 3 pictures of the bike i own (2003 Yamaha Zuma). 1 of the VIN sticker/plate that is attached to the outside of the bike and because my VIN-on-frame was next to it under a plastic cap. This may differ for other bikes, im sure, so you will have to have seperate pictures of each VIN unless you got a bike like mine where it all fits in one frame. The other two pics i took were full profile pics of the bike itself. Side view, angled to show signal lights, front and back. I determined from the NADA that my bike is valued around $400. Purchased for $700. Paid $42 (6% of 700) for tax, $30 for reg fee in the form of a money order. Bundled all that off with the bill-of-sale in a double stamped envelope to the VT DMV. For 2 weeks i was pacing and nervous as hell because i wasn't sure if i filled out everything required. But to my surprise (and checking the money order status to see if it was cashed) i recieved the reg and plate.

I attached the registration (redacted) i filled out which they returned along with the plate. The process is super easy. Not sure if i have to take all that to an inspection station and then to their DMV. Hopefully NJ won't give me static when going to transfer it. We shall see.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Very Cool.
Isn't a Yamaha Zuma already legal to license and register in NJ or was there some other paperwork issue missing?

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Please follow up on the NJ transfer part.

I don't own a TW (one day perhaps)but i had to register here to share my VT registration experience. I printed the registration form from their website, filled it out as best as i could. I took 3 pictures of the bike i own (2003 Yamaha Zuma). 1 of the VIN sticker/plate that is attached to the outside of the bike and because my VIN-on-frame was next to it under a plastic cap. This may differ for other bikes, im sure, so you will have to have seperate pictures of each VIN unless you got a bike like mine where it all fits in one frame. The other two pics i took were full profile pics of the bike itself. Side view, angled to show signal lights, front and back. I determined from the NADA that my bike is valued around $400. Purchased for $700. Paid $42 (6% of 700) for tax, $30 for reg fee in the form of a money order. Bundled all that off with the bill-of-sale in a double stamped envelope to the VT DMV. For 2 weeks i was pacing and nervous as hell because i wasn't sure if i filled out everything required. But to my surprise (and checking the money order status to see if it was cashed) i recieved the reg and plate.

I attached the registration (redacted) i filled out which they returned along with the plate. The process is super easy. Not sure if i have to take all that to an inspection station and then to their DMV. Hopefully NJ won't give me static when going to transfer it. We shall see.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
CE, Just be sure you keep all of your paperwork showing that you paid sales taxes on the purchase to VT. Your registration is transferable in any state but if NJ is like NY if you decide you want to re register it in NJ for your self and to get NJ plates and title they will want you to pay sales tax to NJ at the NJ rate. You paid 6% and NJ might be 8 or 8.5% so you will owe 2 or 2.5% as long as you prove you paid tax to VT.
I have sold 3 TWs now that I registered in VT. 2 of them were from NJ and they had good NJ titles but the seller signed it in the wrong place and NY rejected me telling me to have the seller get a duplicate title and sign it in the correct place. I simply sent just to bills of sales to VT like you did and got the bikes legal in about 10 days. Both of them got registered and new titles in NY when the buyers registered with the VT reg. The third bike was from PA and unbeknownst to me the title must be signed in front of a notary and I drove 300 miles to pick it up on Friday evening when no notary could be found.

GaryL

·
Registered
45 Posts
In case some here in NY haven't realized, not all of the clerks at our DMV offices have a brain and know the rules.

GaryL
In North Carolina, the state hires out contractors, in some areas to issue plates and send paperwork into the state for titles. It seems to be a good old boys network. I bought a truck a few years ago, which by the rules should have been titled immediately after the sale to the former owner, but wasn't ( I didn't know this before I went in to get my plates, but found out when the guy in the next line was getting a ration of **** from one of the workers about that same exact thing on a trailer he was trying to get plates for ). I get up to the window and the woman looks at my paperwork and says "oh, I know the guy who used to own your truck " - the guy who sold the truck to the guy I bought it from, and I and my paperwork were gold. No problems - no ration of grief - got my plates that day and clear title in a couple weeks from the state.

Has anyone ever tried the VT registration in North or South Carolina ?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
In North Carolina, the state hires out contractors, in some areas to issue plates and send paperwork into the state for titles. It seems to be a good old boys network. I bought a truck a few years ago, which by the rules should have been titled immediately after the sale to the former owner, but wasn't ( I didn't know this before I went in to get my plates, but found out when the guy in the next line was getting a ration of **** from one of the workers about that same exact thing on a trailer he was trying to get plates for ). I get up to the window and the woman looks at my paperwork and says "oh, I know the guy who used to own your truck " - the guy who sold the truck to the guy I bought it from, and I and my paperwork were gold. No problems - no ration of grief - got my plates that day and clear title in a couple weeks from the state.

Has anyone ever tried the VT registration in North or South Carolina ?
VT registration and plates are good in all states but most states have a limit on how long you can keep it VT registered before you must transfer it to that state. Here in NY and with any vehicle the law is 60 days but I never heard of a cop even bothering with this given all the snow birds we have here who live permanently in Florida and spend the summer 5-6 months here. My wife's family has a camp in VT and I register my boats, trailers and kayaks there with no issues and you don't have to have a VT address.

GaryL

·
Registered
378 Posts
VT registration and plates are good in all states but most states have a limit on how long you can keep it VT registered before you must transfer it to that state. Here in NY and with any vehicle the law is 60 days but I never heard of a cop even bothering with this given all the snow birds we have here who live permanently in Florida and spend the summer 5-6 months here. My wife's family has a camp in VT and I register my boats, trailers and kayaks there with no issues and you don't have to have a VT address.

GaryL
Unless it has a motor on it I don't believe you need to register a kayak in NY.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Unless it has a motor on it I don't believe you need to register a kayak in NY.
Correct you are but therein lies the problem. Both of my kayaks have been motorized with electric motors that now require registration. Kayaks do not come with titles and just have manufacturers certificates of origin. I bought them used with no papers, who needs papers on a freaking kayak, Right? I had the bills of sale but my communist state of NY said no MCO and no deal to register them, just use them without the motor is what they said. Vt. said just show us the bill of sale and I had to put a HIN number on one of them while the other already had a number on the hull. We can buy used row boats all over the place up here with all the reservoirs and big lakes surrounding this area but don't bother slapping an electric motor on it if you don't get the origin certificate with it that no one ever has.

GaryL

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_0812 (1).JPG

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry some are having local challenges with registrations!
Being a VT resident, please don't burden our DMV with your issues;
It just adds cost and taxes for real Vermonters.
Thanks !

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Thanks !
Well martianone I must disagree with your assessment. Every vehicle and boat I have registered in the state of Vermont required me to pay the full sales tax on the full purchase price of the vehicle or boat and also charged me a registration fee. Each time I re register my MC or boats I pay a rather hefty registration fee again to your state yet I rarely ever use any of my boats or MC in your state. IMO your state is getting sales taxes plus fees for vehicles and boats that might never see Vt. and have never even been there. My personal opinion is Vt. is very well aware of the surrounding states restrictive rules on small vehicles, boats and trailers that are often legally transferred but lacking the titles and other paper trails. This is very common with trail bikes, boats and trailers. Your states rules on older and small MCs and small boats and trailers are a windfall and your state promotes this. Every one of us who have used your states less restrictive rules to get our units legally registered have PAID TO PLAY. In all reality it is our own states that are losing in these transactions because they do not get the revenue from the sales taxes paid to Vt. and certainly not their own ridiculous registration and title fees that Vt. gladly accepts. I am pretty sure if the state of Vt. felt they were overburdened, as you suggest, with these transactions it would be the state telling us to go pound salt and Not you.

Thank you for your input but I am not buying what you are selling!

GaryL

Reactions: nathanwind

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very Cool.
Isn't a Yamaha Zuma already legal to license and register in NJ or was there some other paperwork issue missing?
seller didn't have the title. NJ has a stupid packet you have to fill out and jump through hoops of fire while you wait months to hear anything back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks !
real vermonters? Its like saying someone who legally moved to the US isn't considered a real american. There is no burden. Vermont is strapped for cash as it is so anything they can get will help the state. And if it were such a burden, the state wouldn't allow it. A few clicks of a keyboard to run a VIN check and a printer to print regsitrations and inmates stamping a plate is hardly a burden.

·
Registered
126 Posts
real vermonters? Its like saying someone who legally moved to the US isn't considered a real american. There is no burden. Vermont is strapped for cash as it is so anything they can get will help the state. And if it were such a burden, the state wouldn't allow it. A few clicks of a keyboard to run a VIN check and a printer to print regsitrations and inmates stamping a plate is hardly a burden.
I know people pay to do this vs. working with their legislators and local officials to be able to do so locally.
That is a key philosophical issue with this.
Agree with above that someone who legally moved to US may not be considered a real American.
Real Americans have been fighting for homeland security since 1492.

I am a Vermonta,
I do what I Wanta.

This topic is more than 5 years old, perhaps the moderators can sunset it and associated posts?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
This has been a helpful thread for many members, we'll leave it up and running for now.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I know people pay to do this vs. working with their legislators and local officials to be able to do so locally.
That is a key philosophical issue with this.
Agree with above that someone who legally moved to US may not be considered a real American.
Real Americans have been fighting for homeland security since 1492.

I am a Vermonta,
I do what I Wanta.

This topic is more than 5 years old, perhaps the moderators can sunset it and associated posts?
Just hold on there a second Vermonta! This topic is 5 years old because it has been relevant to this forum for 5 years. Now you want the moderators to simply "Sunset this entire thread and all associated posts". You must be kidding!

GaryL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please follow up on the NJ transfer part.

Decided to keep the bike registered in VT. $30 a year vs $65. It's a no-brainer considering cops never bother the scooter riders unless you are breaking the law which is pretty hard to do so long as you don't speed and use your turn signals. Unless they start giving me sh*t about it but until then, i don't see the point in wasting more money for what is already road legal.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
rumor has it that if you move to KS and don't update your DL in a certain amount of time, they suspend your DL. I think tags work the same here, so I wouldn't chance confiscation to save a couple bucks on my tag. I would not hesitate to use Vermont to title my bike if I needed it. And I have passed on some good deals because of not having title.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Wish me luck. Went out registered mail today with all the frigging paperwork:

IMG_2349.JPG

For additional Luck I'm munching on these today:

IMG_2350.jpg

Why not?
IMG_2289.JPG

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Good Luck! Vt. probably will allow it to get registered but will NY or NJ allow it to pass a required inspection is the $64,000 question. Thinking you will need a brake and plate light, blinkers and a working horn and hope the inspection station never checks the tires for DOT approval. Check with Aaron at fattireconversionns.com in NH and he might be able to get you hooked up with all the necessary gear.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Registered 2 day delivery mail on Monday, 6/17.
They received on Wednesday, 6/19.
On Friday, 6/21 my check was cashed (I was checking every day) and they mailed back to me on their dime (.95 cents), regular mail.
Tuesday, 6/25 this (below) came in the mail... that's incredible turn-a-round time for being efficient via snail-mail from any DMV that I have ever, ever dealt with.
Kudo's to VT. DMV:

IMG_4568.JPG

There really is no place to hang a plate because it never really came with a holder. And I really didn't want to put any holes into the fender figuring this thing has survived 33 years without someone drilling something into it.
GOPR8965.JPG

I used that that butch-type of velcro that they use for EZ-Pass's/Toll Pass window transponders on the top of the plate and simple paper folder clips on the bottom. Was perfectly fine for the 30-40 minute ride I took around town. Plus I can take the plate on and off. I might get one of the OEM looking racks that coincidently Cycleracks sell for "BW's" and can hang the plate and frame from that.
IMG_2467.jpg

This is probably the longest period of time this bike has been ridden many years. The guy I bought it from back in March had a small dirt track in his backyard. But because he couldn't ride it on the roads from trail-to-trail like a true dual-sport he rarely used or even started it up. I had a long trail of smoke following me whenever I gave it a lot of throttle but the engine has tons of torque and power and not a blip of hesitation. No leaks whatsoever. Rings gotta be stuck and if they need to be changed... rings and a new piston cost somewhere around $100.00. It's the OEM body and frame parts that get expensive when you buy one of these as a project.
Taking a curve or turn too sharp obviously will get you in trouble with those huge tires but I don't have to tell you about that. This is not for pavement riding except to the local candy store. Towards the end of my ride the smoking effect had settled. Even though I had changed the oil & filter a couple months ago when I got it I never swapped out the old fuel and it did smell funky so I drained that after my ride. Filled it with a tank-full of ethanol-free and I'll add some of that Chevron Fuel cleaner and change the oil again after I blow thru that tank.

I have a few motorcycles like the TW & Ural that always get "looks" and a bunch of "what's that" questions. Believe me, riding a BW on the actual road/street the questions are on steroids. I gotta add some mirrors, turn signals and a horn just for safety's sake (my own) if I'm going to ride this even just locally and around town.
I mean, if I was in a Police car I would pull me over even though I was using hand-signals. Having those items further legitimizes it I'd hope.

Main thing was getting it plated so I could play with it in the Jersey Pine Barrens and a few other state parks that require a true registration and license plate in order for you to freely use the dirt roads and land. Step #1 in that direction has sorta been accomplished.

I have no need to ever transfer it to NY or NJ for plates but for a future owner ... having a plated BW is somewhat of a real rarity around these parts.

Have to say this particular thread was a huge help in getting things sorted as well as 2 of my friends who did this before with a dirt bike (no papers) and a car (no papers).

Proud Papa:
GOPR8964.JPG

81 - 100 of 108 Posts