TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an Australian Yamaha AG 200 which has the TW200 motor, I use it as a farm bike and I would say it has done well over 50,000 kays, anyway the tapping sounds it has been making for sometime are now louder than the exhaust, so I pulled the motor down to investigate and found a few problems....

the cam has a lil play in it and is also worn down about 1mm on the lobes (lumpy bits?)

the timing chain is past adjustment

but the biggest concern I have is that I have some play in the crankshaft, I can wobble it up and down slightly...

has anyone replaced these bearings? or had this issue?

looking for some tips as I plan on taking it on myself...

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Lumpy bits.Hehehahaha. (o; Now that's funny.. I would say at 50K it needs major refreshing.. I've never had more than a spark plug out of mine, but I'm sure the wrench heads here can help... Good luck.. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------lumpy bits.. Thanks for making me smile this morning. OMM.

·
Registered
566 Posts
He's from Down Under. It's a different English.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Oh come on........... Are you just funnin' me ??????????? What's the crank called, Turny bits !!!!!! OMM.
Nope. The crank has angley bits. BTW, you made me smile with your "funnin' me" colloquialism - nice work.

Seriously, with 50k on the engine, you will want to do a complete engine re-do; top (valves and cam with its worn lumpy bits, piston & rings, cylinder,) and bottom (crank, etc. I would replace the oil pump, all bearings. If you've done an engine before this is a piece of cake - as long as you have the tools, time, patience, experience, and some skills. There are lots of guides on doing it and the parts are certainly available, some on eBay, some other places.

Here's a couple of examples:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-TRAILWAY-200-TW200-CYLINDER-PISTON-GASKET-TOP-END-KIT-2001-2011-/221082319739?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3379887b7b&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-YAMAHA-TW200E-TW200-TW-200-E-200E-TRAILWAY-BOTTOM-END-ENGINE-CRANK-CASES-/350564576016?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519f46eb10&vxp=mtr

You might want to consider simply replacing the engine with a low mileage unit, if you can find one at a good price - a great opportunity to put in a 225 and get a bit more pep. Here's one, for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-03-04-05-YAMAHA-XT225-XT-ttr-225-SEROW-ENGINE-COMPLETE-RUNS-PERFECT-/261075935535?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc956a12f&vxp=mtr

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Could it be piston slap?

My TW makes a loud ticking noise when I accelerate but it goes away with I decelerate. At a constant speed it is just barely there. Is that piston slap?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Could it be piston slap?

My TW makes a loud ticking noise when I accelerate but it goes away with I decelerate. At a constant speed it is just barely there. Is that piston slap?

More likely valve tappet noise. Piston slap may give a "ticking noise" but can also be described as a knocking. It is usually detected only at start-up, when the engine is cold and only lasts a few seconds and then goes away. It is a piston to sleeve clearance issue, most often found in cars with aluminum pistons and steel cylinders thus dissimilar response to temperature changes. It is unusual in a mc engine because the jug is mostly aluminum with a steel sleeve and the piston is aluminum too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it actually has the noise at any revs and during deceleration and acceleration but it does get louder with revs.

I have had a good look at the motor and to my surprise the piston and cylinder are in perfect condition? the valves are seating perfectly, it has correct valve lash, con rod has no play and the rockers have no play.

its just the cam and the crank bearings.

the cam is a bugger due to the bearing surface being part of the head and the crank is a decent job also as splitting the case is not something I have done before

I might take your advice Flingwing and look at buying a second hand motor and just pop it in.

mine is a 6 volt set up, is the tw the same?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
TW's are 12v.

Your AG's engine is more directly related to XT and TTR 200's, 225's and 230's than it is to a TW. The TW has`a longer output shaft and is wider on the left than your engine.

Most of the internal parts will swap, but I'd look for a donor engine out of one of those rather than a TW.

·
Registered
374 Posts
[quote

I might take your advice Flingwing and look at buying a second hand motor and just pop it in.

mine is a 6 volt set up, is the tw the same?

[/quote]

No, it's 12v. Should be no problem using your parts on a TW engine to make it right for you. An option would be to convert your bike to 12V if you can locate a good one. Your wires are larger gauge than on a 12v bike so the only thing you need are new bulbs and a 12v battery.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Flingwing,

The AG motor is basically the XT version of the motor. It has a short shaft, 6 speed transmission. Everything on the left side is about an inch and half narrower than a TW's left case. Our transmissions are 5 speeds and have a longer output shaft to clear the fat rear tire, with an oil-fed bearing in the left case. The chain won't line up.

The transmission, side cover and charging system from the AG will fit TW cases in 6 volt confuration.

To covert to 12v you'd need XT parts. The short output shaft side cover, rotor, stator, pulse coil and regulator, minimum.

A complete XT motor will bolt right in without splitting cases or swapping trannies, and all his AG stuff will bolt right onto it if he wants to keep it 6 volt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it might be easier to get a motor locally, could take a while for one to come up thou.

btw the AG 200 is a 6 volt kick start 5 speed and the AG 200E is a 12v electric start. (not sure on the gearbox)

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Th e early ones were based on the early XT200, which were 6v, 5-speeds as well. No matter because the TW trans is longer than yours, so all the above still applies.

I'd kill for one. We never got them here.

I'd put a 12v XT225 motor in it and run the wheels off it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also on the AG200 its all gears up, so when you need to get off quick for hunting etc you just tap tap tap on the lever and you have neutral with no mucking about...

problem is when I ride my other bikes I keep stalling them thinking neutral is at the bottom!!!!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Well at least you got two kickstands and a real seat to fall off of..

I'll swap you a TW shift drum for that nasty old AG unit....

Farm bikes were just freakin' smart.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol, Had 2 kick stands, I only have one left.

the left one snapped off while chasing down a big pig!!!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Yep. Looks as if most of them get rode hard and put away wet. Understandable for their intended market.

But they already have all the crap that we all pay extra for when trying to make a workhorse out of a workhorse thinly disquised as a "boy racer" for marketing purposes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well 4 years on and I rebuilt that motor, no funny sounds and a fair bit more power, anyway within a few days the CDI packed it in, so I dissolved the resin and found it had a faulty SCR, got one off ebay and removed all the old solder for new and filled it up with silicon.

So while its going good I sold the thing.

Anyway picked up a 2 year old AG200e and within a few days the thing has developed a ticking at idle, I have set the valve lash at several different gaps and cant get rid of it, the bikes only done 10 000 kays

any ideas where to look for this ticking?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts