Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,367 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is nice that they do that now. There was no "welcome home" and "atta boys" back when I came home from the war.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I know LT, and it was shameful. I cringe when I hear some moonfaced person, with no real clue, say to some veteran "thanks for your service" and I see not a hint of genuine thankfulness. That phrase actually came about among Vietnam Veterans. It was used, one Vietnam Veteran to another. In essence it was to say "nobody else thanked you brother, but I will", and so it actually ticks me off to hear someone just throw that out without any heartfelt meaning at all. It was their phrase, their code, their acknowledgement. It shouldn't be bandied about by every twit seeking public approbation for how politically correct and patriotic they are.

Wow, that was pretty close to a rant.:D I don't generally do rants.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
The offers are nice, but me being me, I never take advantage of these "promotions"....I urge other guys to, but I prefer to stay out of any limelight from the war or military, except for the groups I am associated with....nothing wrong with what they are doing, and nothing wrong with those taking the offer....but my experience when I returned to a small town in Ohio, was not all that bad....and the days I flew on commercial airlines, while dressed in my Winter Blues or Summer Tans....I never got one back handed remark or smirk hurled at me...at least none I heard. When I returned from Vietnam in the Summer of 1970...I few in my Tans from Hippyville in San Fran to Chicago to Dayton....nary a dirty look...I guess I was a lucky one, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Happy Veterans Day to All who served past and present:

Photo...my mom{still alive and kicking at 90 years young} and me, as we prepared to Head for Dayton on June 29, 1969.....I would be in Vietnam within 48 hours:cool: No Regrets!

VietnamthedayIleft.jpg

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I like that Joe, I like it a lot.

I think I will prattle on for a few moments on this subject before I get called back to work.

It seems common these days for people, even our own citizens, to make disparaging remarks about the United States. I think they are uninformed, ungrateful, jerks.

If I have to deal with them, I do it like this.

"Ok, buddy, here's the deal. You show me another country that has shed so much of its own blood and spent so much of it's own money liberating oppressed people. Who then helped them form governments and gave them the aid they needed to survive and feed their people. Who then went farther, and gave them their Country back. And if you doubt me, reflect on history and imagine the empire the United States would control if we kept all the lands we liberated and conquered. Vast, is it not?" You do that my friend, and do it successfully, and I will re-evaluate my position. But until then...'Merica!

Every Citizen should stand tall and proud in light of our accomplishments in this world. You need apologize to no one.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
This sheds a little light on the magnitude of D DAY. vet 1.jpg vet beach 2.jpg vet beach 3.jpg vet beach 4.jpg vet beach 5.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Mr. Blackstone sir, I appreciate that.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was nice Hoot. Thank you. I got tears in my eyes on that one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts