TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm camping and riding solo as Mrs. Admiral will be a world traveler again.

Open invite: I plan to camp at Succor Creek Campground, OR riding Saturday & Sunday in the general area between Lake Owyhee and U.S. Hwy 95. Be warned, however, as, I may stray or deviate from those routes slightly, not far, maybe!:p If you want to ride the weekend or a day of it let me know before Friday or show up at Succor Creek CG before 10 a.m. I'll be in my pickup truck camper (Silver-Gray/White camper). Bring warm weather riding gear.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I was just checking out the area you will be camping in and that looks interesting. do you enter off of us 95 and how many miles of dirt road to the campground? just trying to plot next years trip and that looks like a maybe

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just checking out the area you will be camping in and that looks interesting. do you enter off of us 95 and how many miles of dirt road to the campground? just trying to plot next years trip and that looks like a maybe
Most of the time I turn onto Succor Creek Rd. from the north off Hwy 201 west of Homedale, ID. 201 also comes down (south) from Ontario, OR through Andrian, OR.

It's about 15-16 miles from the Hwy 201/Succor Creek junction. Typically, this is a well-traveled gravel road and gets washboardy but I drive it with the camper or truck because it takes so much longer to go south on 95 and backtrack back up Succor Creek Rd.

There are two usually good gravel road entrances off 95 from the south. One is more east of Rockville, is unmarked and about 20 miles from 95 to the Campground.

The second entrance is farther south and is at the 95/Succor Creek Rd. junction and is marked with a sign. It's about 25-27 miles from this junction to Succor Creek CG.

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure looks pretty around Succor Creek.
I really should come up for a visit and ride in your amazing part of the world next time.
Some areas can be for sure. One has to like a more arid environment in this area. We do so we ride it a lot. Lots of intersting things to see. When ej, old man, and I rode there isn't enough time to cover it in one day...or several days for that matter.

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The horses dig the pink Tdub.
They didn't get this close on account of my good looks that's for sure. :p I don't know how wild these wild horses were, or even if they were but it sure was a neat experience.

I would love to go but this is my weekend to work, it may even snow out there tomorrow but that is yet to be seen
Not the first time I've had to ride in snow on Veterans Day but I could do without the snow just the same. :D
Danskin OHV 2010

better pack your chains and the spot
We'll just have to see if the Ceros is all that it's been advertised to be. :rolleyes: So, chains no, SPOT yes as usual. I am putting son #2 as the primary contact in SPOT since Mrs. Admiral won't be available to help.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Hopefully somebody will go with you just to make sure you make it back before dark thirty.
Kris, take care, I think your ride has been jinked again. Remember to pack a flat kit.

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kris, take care, I think your ride has been jinked again. Remember to pack a flat kit.

Yes on the flat kit.

Friday ain't lookin good but Friday is a take the wife to the airport and finish loading and travel to camp day. The riding days, Saturday and Sunday look good to me. It will be a little cooler than the forcast as I'll be up in elevation a bit but not much.

Verification by the weather channel

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
are you taking along the XT? be a good comparison on the back tires in the snow
I don't actually expect snow, not much anyway. Yeah, I'm taking both. Gonna finish up reupholstering the XT's seat tonight and they'll be ready to go. Have places I want to try and find. Hopefully, there's no snow to slow me down!

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Isn't it though... I'm tired of it already.
oh you guys living in the tropics are so lucky, we're getting dumped on again today. it' going to be a long winter

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Veterans Weekend 2017 Succor Creek West Side

After waiting out the rain on Friday, I go for a solo weekend camping and riding in the Succor Creek area of Eastern Oregon. Day 1 I ride generally to the west of Succor Creek. Looking for some old ranch buildings, geocaches and even have a situation with gumbo mud.

I was gonna leave Friday but it was raining and there is no way to ride these two-track roads when they are wet. Sometimes when they're not so wet either. So I leave Saturday morning and I'm in no hurry and stop at this little start of a mine.

I had to climb up and I was reminded how much out of shape I'm in.

Set up camp at Succor Creek Campground on the east side of the creek.

I finally start riding at the crack of 1300 hrs. and stop at another mine.

It was dark inside.

Devil's Gate. I get off the main road.

Been eyeballing this site on google earth to see if it was once a ranch. could be but could have also just been a line shack for branding and gathering of the herd.

Cabin at the site

A place to store unruly children at the site. Or maybe the cellar/dugout to keep supplies cool and dry. I vote for unruly kids cell.

I then ride up fisherman's road in search of a cache on Owyhee Ridge

Found the cache

I then had a bright idea to make a loop out of the ride. Yeah, that didn't turn out to be a bright idea.

I found the "Gumbo Mud".

Jammed everything up. Took me 30-60 minutes to clean enough (but not all) the mud to get rolling. I backtracked a mile or two out of the gumbo zone to safety.

Made it back to camp before dark. Mostly.

Enjoyed a fire and some brewski's before hitting the sack for the night.

More to follow

1 - 20 of 43 Posts