TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tw200 vibrates horribly both in the handle bars and the pegs. It gets worse when you go faster then 45 mph on the road. It is a very bad vibration and after a 20 minute ride my hand fells numb. Are there any solutions that help?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
If you're mostly riding paved, and any off-road is only moderate hills.....the biggest improvement you can do for 45mph & over is sprocket change. You could do a front only change, or a rear only change, or a combo front & rear change.

Examples:

OEM gearing is 14/50

• 15t front only - is approximately like -3 teeth on the rear (Example: 47t rear).
  • 47t rear only
  • Depending on elevation & you're type of riding, you & gear weight, and terrain, you might could even go to a 44 or 45t rear only....or 15t front / 47 rear combo. These will make a very nice improvement in lower revs, but you will lose some low end torque, and top end power related to the gearing changes.

I have the ROX Anti-vibe 2" handlebar risers, and they helped a little, but not sure enough for the $100 +/- they cost.

Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and I am probably sensitive to the vibration thing.

My Yamaha Royal Star is very smooth at highway speeds but I get the tingle numbness thing after 1 or 2 hours.

With the TW or VanVan, the problem shows up at 45 minutes at 45 mph. At 55-65 mph I can go an hour or more easy. We'll, easy except for that "seat" on the TW.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that vibration, frequency and harmonics all come into play on bikes and sometimes other vehicles. My spirit I have to have it purring, not thumping or it agravates me. When I was getting my CDL the difference in road frequency agravated my wrists big time. I have since become more used to it. A good pair of vibration absorbing gloves could help. I need a pair also so if anyone has good information on a pair please let us know.

·
Registered
2012 TW200, 1988 DT50, 2002 ZRX1200
124 Posts
My tw200 vibrates horribly both in the handle bars and the pegs. It gets worse when you go faster then 45 mph on the road. It is a very bad vibration and after a 20 minute ride my hand fells numb. Are there any solutions that help?
Mine has a little buzz but not bad at all. I’ve never had it cause my hands to go numb. It’s possible vibration can be from out-of-round or unbalanced tires, not necessarily just from the engine. If you think it is from the engine, it wouldn’t hurt to make sure your engine mounting fasteners are all there & torqued.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Check your all your engine mounts, nice and tight. Try to shake motor in the frame and see if you can detect movement. If the motor is moving in the frame, even a tiny amount the bike will vibrate something shocking.

·
Registered
74 Posts
First, have a knowledgeable Yamaha person check out your MC. Parts Unlimited sells foam grips for $5.00 to $10.00. Use old-type hair spray without alcohol to install over the stock grips. Let dry overnight. Allow a few hours to a day to get used to the larger grips which are definitely better for Carpal Tunnel. If after a day you don't like them they can be easily removed. Be sure to install a Sound Off Recreational Vista Cruise Throttle Clamp first, from Amazon for $28.49, you may need to drill a hole in it for a tie wire, to hold it from rotating depending on your throttle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts