TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Victory Motorcycle Important Announcement | Polaris Industries

I worked for many years @ Polaris here in MN - many of these years were as a Victory Motorcycle factory tech, supporting all the dealers, Sturgis / Bike Week, Biketoberfest etc. When they purchased Indian, the writing was on the wall for a Victoy bye-bye.

Good luck to Indian - great group of people at Polaris, I hope not too many jobs are lost.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Right, but just try to get parts! HA!
Fortunately they have committed to making parts for 10 years and there are a lot of individual vendors making parts of all types. There are a lot of 106ci Vics out there - parts should be good for a long time. Plus at 69,000 miles on my 2011 Cross Country, I have not needed any parts - not even a belt yet.

Agreed the resale price will take a hit for the short term......at least. Looks like a Indian in future - but not for a quite a few years.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I have no idea of the models. The one with the big v shaped taillight.
I like it more as art than bike.
Yes I have PC800s and like them.
To each his own, huh? Lol.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Sorry to read this. I never rode one till last March during Daytona Bike Week. Spent an entire day doing demo rides and Victory was one of them. It was so similar to the Indian models that if you closed your eyes (obviously never do this) it was hard to discern similar horsepower models from each other. One thing I didn't like about them was the LCD type of Speedometer. Seemed kinda cheap and was hard to see in the sunlight. Really a stupid styling mistake IMO. But both Indians and Victory's ran super smooth. I liked the Indian a little better and maybe that's what Polaris's marketing department found.
Best looking 2016 Victory was the limited edition "Dark Horse". About $18,000.00+. Google it as it is one great looking bike. Could be a collector piece.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Whoops, The "Dark Horse" is an Indian Chief, not a Victory. Perhaps the sister company made folks forget about Victory in the end. They sold at the same dealers.

2016-indian-chief-dark-horse-makes-appearance-in-carb-papers_2-Resized.jpg

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok - the 10 years parts deal - I worked @ Polaris when they shut down the PWC line (personal water craft). At that time, they also gaurenteed parts / dealers service support for 10 years (If I remember correctly).

GETTING PARTS WAS A MESS for dealers and customers as soon after PWC production ended. Polaris runs a tight ship and does not want to stock parts inventory (like most businesses).

Polaris buyers don't want to buy parts inventory, Polaris suppliers didn't want to make parts if Polaris didn't commit to ordering....back and fourth it goes. Suppliers scrapped / recycled tooling - downhill from there.

Victory parts are damn expensive. Good luck getting and engine gasket kit, fuel tank, fuel pump, ECM / ECU, cam shaft, transmission parts, wiring harness, headlamp assembly, or drive belt from Polaris in 5 years.

Just sayin, the 10 year support commitment from Polaris is....a sales tool??? They can offer parts, but they don't have to be direct fit / same color - it is going to get messy.

I wish the best to the owners - hope the 10 year deal works out.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
After shoveling the driveway..deep in thought:

At least Polaris still makes Indian, that is the soul fighting chance that Polaris will support Victory parts / service for 10 years - so that is good.

Either way - good luck!

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Hate to see this...over the past couple of years I thought they had some good looking street rides at great prices....now with the overpriced Indians...American built Motorcycles will be overpriced for many....although there are some decent priced Harley's ...guess it depends on what you want....

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's definitely official.

I have friends that still work(ed) for Victory Engineering in Wyoming MN - many were laid off yesterday afternoon. Bummer.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
It's definitely official.

I have friends that still work(ed) for Victory Engineering in Wyoming MN - many were laid off yesterday afternoon. Bummer.
That sucks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Truly is sad. Have had a vegas for a few years now. It's hands down one of the best bikes I have owned ed and is definitely the best cruiser I have owned and I venture to say ever ridden.

Superb power plant great fuel economy fun performance that rivles most of it direct competition and extremely low maintenance. I plan to keep riding it for many years to come. But a sad day it is still.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts