TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive actually made this hill before..
Again, its hard to tell angles on camera, but the last sections of this hill are insanely steep.. The deep sand doesn't help, but its easier to land on..
+ heres me coming down..

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Back when I had the stock 50 tooth rear sprocket, I use to have quite a few failed hill attempts. Since changing to a 55T rear, my fails have dropped. Yet I still manage to find a hill or two which I can't make it up.

I got cold watching your video, brrrr! I can hear the wind in you audio and this sound makes me feel cold, even if it's not!:D

·
Registered
19,584 Posts
That looks very steep and sandy for a sustained long hill climb. I thought you made it pretty far for stock tires. Nice.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
psi in rear tire?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nice ride! I kept wondering if you would have more traction riding next to the road where your tires could bite on the scrub brush and weeds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice ride! I kept wondering if you would have more traction riding next to the road where your tires could bite on the scrub brush and weeds.
.. actually theres a similar smaller hill on the opposite side of this butte where I used the off road bushes to get further up than the road could take me..
I might try that if I attempt this side again

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back when I had the stock 50 tooth rear sprocket, I use to have quite a few failed hill attempts. Since changing to a 55T rear, my fails have dropped. Yet I still manage to find a hill or two which I can't make it up.:D
Ive been contemplating on ways to make my TW more 'off-road-able', while still maintaining a 'street-able' speed.. (I have to be able to cruise at 50-55mph for at least 10mi at a time.. )

Im thinking of the dual sprocket route, but nothings for sure yet..?

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Ive been contemplating on ways to make my TW more 'off-road-able', while still maintaining a 'street-able' speed.. (I have to be able to cruise at 50-55mph for at least 10mi at a time.. )

Im thinking of the dual sprocket route, but nothings for sure yet..?
What I'm about to mention is a personal preference and others have different perspective's on the subject. Experiment with different sprockets is the advice I'll give you.

I currently have a rear dual sprocket setup. 14 front and 50/55 on the rear. My thought was to use the 50t when doing mostly pavement and light off-road. Of course before I put the 55T on, I did all my off-road with the 50t. Shortcoming with the 50t for me was what you've experienced, some trouble going up steep hills or moderate hills with loose soil and or rocks.

I finally put on a 55t rear sprocket as many on the forum had mentioned, for better off-road capabilities. Sure enough, 55t has been just what I was looking for. Sure I still have some trouble in the steepest hills and soft soil/loose rock conditions, but way better than the 50t.

So, with the dual rear sprocket setup, my needs had been met. ...but, despite the ease of changing the chain back and forth, I found most of my riding was done off-road, thus I left the chain on the 55t. I then starting riding more pavement with the 55t sprocket, because I got tired of changing back and forth. While the RPM's are noticeably higher with the 55t, I've still be satisfied and can maintain easily 55-60 mph. Matter of fact, I can maintain my speed a little better going uphill or into the wind without having to downshift with the 55t. With the 50t I found I had to downshift more going uphill and into a headwind than with the 55t. With the 55t, I've even done some short 10-15 miles of freeway driving at 65mph as long as I'm not riding into a head wind or hills.

Well, the moral of the story for me is: 55t will be my rear sprocket of choice. I'm gonna go back to a single rear sprocket and have decided it will be the 55t instead of the 50t.

Here's a couple video's I did earlier this week driving to work on my TW with the 55t. I was actually testing my new camera, but you'll be able to see I keep up with traffic quite well with the 55t on pavement. On the two lane roads I was going 50-60 depending on traffic, and on the freeway, 65 mph.

This is just an example which may use to help you decide which rear sprocket route to follow. Good luck, have fun, and keep your video's coming. I enjoy watching them!

·
Registered
19,584 Posts
Well, I know how to follow Admiral home now B).
TW does not seem too wound out at freeway speed w/ 14/55 sprockets, seems very acceptable.
The "wiggling" image of windscreen at bottom of screen seems to infer ION's stabilization software is hard at work doing it's job very well; the farground imagery stays stable while near off-center windscreen gets the ropey distortion induced by stabilization hardware/software.
Yesterday while inside a Lumix point-n-shoot camera trying to clean lens assembly I got to inspect the little sliding plate that moves holding the last lens before the CCD. Inertial driven, I think, this plate moves lens up, down, left, right to compensate for camera motions, Very clever and very compact. Amazingly well engineered sophisticated miniaturized multi-functional electro- mechanical device for under $200. Wow.
Wish my Contour +2 camera had Admiral's stability.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Oh, the engine is wound out with the 55t, and some TW owners would never ride them this hard, but I do! Heck, if we can't blow the engine up (with proper lubrication and maintenance), then I might as well give it aall it's got.

As far as the camera goes, the harmonic distortion is most apparent at very high, 60+mph, speed because it's mounted on the handle bars. Picture quality is much better when 55 mph and below. My normal camera preference will be side helmet mounted, but without my windshield on and riding pavement, I use a helmet with a shield and no camera mount. Im thinking there would be very minimal distortion if mounted on the helmet. I use to use a friends Contour camera and really liked it. Very similar to my ION. Both very good picture quality and easy to use in my book. Before I got this one, I had actually been looking for a used Contour on C-List. Like 'em both! Very interesting on how they make camera's with stabilization. They should show that on "How they make it" tv show!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I think that settles it for me.. Since the 55t can handle modest highway speeds, that should be the only sprocket I need.. for now.. (better tires, 225 tank, and some mounting racks are still on the 'to do' list);)

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Admiral, and others;
With the 14/55 setup, do you find yourself starting out in 2nd gear and just use 1st as a granny; or does it tend to still require (an even briefer) 1st gear start?
You know, I'm just so use to starting out in first gear, so I always do. Starting out in first gear and having to shift right away into second doesn't bother me like others. Must be cause it's been years and years since I had a street bike. I'd maybe reconsider my thoughts if I rode a street bike often.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
When you are trying to cross a street where you are having to yield to a lot of cross traffic; having to shift in the first 5 to 10 feet can make it difficult. If with the lower gearing, you can start in 2nd, and if it will accelerate enough and get you across without having to shift (or at least across the first direction of traffic before you have to shift) it could make it safer to do so.
I agree. If I have the rear on the 55 with my front 13, (almost equivalent to 14/60) I usually start in 2nd on pavement, and much of the time in the dirt if on the level. I still use the 13/50 about 95% of the time though, and with that I generally start in first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts