TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Video - TW200 Dowhill Fall Traps Leg under bike..

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  joeband 
#1 · (Edited)
Video - TW200 Downhill Fall Traps Leg under bike..

..Its that hill again.. I almost made it!.. I don't know if that stick I picked up in the front spokes was the culprit or not..? It seemed kind of small, but that's deep sand and it doesn't take much to lock it up.. + the GoPro doesn't exactly catch the actual angle of that hill, but its steep..
Anyway, watch me get trapped under my bike for a short time..

#3 ·
..................the GoPro doesn't exactly catch the actual angle of that hill, but its steep...........................
I have noticed that on mine and other videos plus it always looks worse when you are up high looking down. (Not so bad from the bottom looking up.) Sand can be challenging. Overall, well done!

#5 · (Edited)
I have resembled your "trapedness" before. While it wasn't as steep, it was still difficult to get out from under the TW. In my case my foot was twisted reward, which added a degree of difficulty. I am glad the TW is as light as it is or we would probably be trapped longer.

#7 ·
It looks very steep when your on the top! good video!

Reactions: Scotts
#9 ·
Ok. I was going to keep my mouth shut now I am starting to feel guilty about not sharing. :( Sunday morning I jumped on the bike to travel to town for my daily "Monster energy drink" and my son was in the front yard playing with his new baseball bat and the new ball he got from the Pirates game last week. Me and him have this "thing" we have been doing for years where i dart after him like I am going to run him over and he playfully throws his hands in the air and runs away screaming bloody murder. Well I ride down off the side of the driveway into our front yard and head towards him about 10 to 15mph and he does his thing hands up running and screaming THEN he changes direction and darts directly in front of me again!!!! Wet grass, a fistful of brake, and gravity all come together and in an honest to God NANO second I am face down on my front lawn!:eek: As I look up I see the most terrified look on my son's face and he is slowly and quietly repeating over and over again "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry". What could I do? I started laughing and explaining to him that he had nothing to be sorry for as he is an 11 year old boy and I am a 43 year old man. He settles down after a minute or two of my joking and telling him everything is fine, looks me square in the eye's and say's "REALLY YOU SHOULD BE OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER!" I just picked the bike up "it had a freshly bent brake lever now" and rode it back up the driveway to the garage for a quick inspection. I bent the brake lever back in line and the bracket that holds the front cowl and Jimbo shield too. No other damage other than a bruise on the top of my foot I have no idea how I got that and was wearing work boots.

Tom

#10 ·
"out of the mouth of babes" ....

Reactions: Fred
#11 · (Edited)
The videos do make the slopes seem tame. These ones looked reasonably doable from the bottom, seems darn steep once upon them hunting traction, then look wimpy on the videos back home. Must be the wide angle lens, not my overinflated ego

Adam and I both run IRC GP-1 Trials front tires which allow greater controlled braking on the downhills than stock tire would ever permit in this type of terrain and loose soil conditions. Note how Adam skillfully loads front wheel for optimum braking with body english and weight shifting on the downhill. Ignore his foot paddling on the uphill, he is showing me how "not to do it".
I seem to have a bit of a death grip on the ol' front brake lever for a bit while sliding backwards until I remember to ease up a bit to swing bike crosswise to slope initiating a safe turn-around. Don't think I touched rear brake on way down, second gear compression braking supplemented massive front brake use. Rear brake is harder to modulate for me and I get nervous when a locked up rear tire tries to pass me.
Should Scotts upgrade his tires he may be very pleased with the results. I had many a washout with the stock front tire.

#14 ·
Adam and I both run IRC GP-1 Trials front tires.. Sould Scotts upgrade his tires he may be very pleased with the results. I had many a washout with the stock front tire.
..Yea I definitely got my mind on some new tread..
What do you (guys) think I should get for the terrain I ride..? (mostly a firm dirt-sand mixture with the occasional deep patch of soul shifting terror*, I mean sand)..+ rocks, gravel, mud, snow, tree climbing, basically every terrain I guess..
I want the best of the best since I'm usually out solo..
Unless anyone can change my mind, I was probably going to go with that wild looking Duro tire, (model ?), on the back.. + I'll have to give those IRC GP-1's a look see, because honestly, i haven't even looked for good 'front' tires yet..

#15 · (Edited)
I think the Shinko is cheaper than the GP-1 and everyone seems to love the Golden Boy. I got the GP-1 only because I could not find equivalent Shinko on the day I decided to upgrade, not because I thought it superior. The Duro Power Grip does deal with soul shifting terror, snow,mud and sand better. Plus it leaves really cool looking tracks behind you.:rolleyes:

#17 ·
first ride i took after putting on my cyclerack, i fell on a down hill trail trapping my left foot. twisted my ankle and was looking for higher topped boots that day.

of course that lead to a longer shifter, then a bigger.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.