TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 TW200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a fan of all the white plastics - so I swapped the headlight and cowl for a 7" round, painted the sides flat black, and removed the rear fender... Then I found some vintage YZ125 decals on eBay... printed them out to test (not sure what the final size will be, but this should be close I figure)...

Going to probably swap the blue handguards for black as well...

What do you think? Going for a retro look... Not sure if I want to go with a black front fender or not...

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Plant Automotive lighting
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
looks good, but i take it you don't ride off-road?

no rear fender makes for a muddy, wet mess....

·
Registered
2012 TW200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks good, but i take it you don't ride off-road?

no rear fender makes for a muddy, wet mess....
Eventually - but this is my first bike, so currently I'm not riding much of anywhere... but point taken.

I was considering cutting a stock fender down (removing sides and keeping the center section) - but wanted to try this first.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I like the retro tank decal, but from what I've read on this forum, it's likely to not permanently adhere to to your plastic tank.

·
Registered
2012 TW200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I like the retro tank decal, but from what I've read on this forum, it's likely to not permanently adhere to to your plastic tank.
I think it will work - I used double sided tape and its holding the printouts super well.... but I'm going to prime the surface with ISO-Alcohol as well. If it doesn't, ohh well.. I'll try something else.

Edit to add: It looks like the reason the decals dont hold is outgassing underneath makes them bubble and peel. The decal I bought is printed on a special vinyl that is perforated for this reason.... here is a link:
YZ vintage decal on eBay

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ive tried those perforated decals before on plastic dirt bike tanks. Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. I had a honda xr dirt bike that would never keep decals on the tank. I like the look of those decals though and what you've done with the bike. I've never been a big fan of removing the rear fender but I think if you trimmed the sides short and kept the center section it could look cool. It just looks incomplete with nothing back there but frame imo.

·
Registered
2012 TW200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've never been a big fan of removing the rear fender but I think if you trimmed the sides short and kept the center section it could look cool. It just looks incomplete with nothing back there but frame imo.
I was juuuuust about to do that and paint the remaining section black..... but I figured I didn't want to destroy the original plastic as someone may want it.

I hear you though - and I'm considering buying an aftermarket black rear fender to experiment on.

In a perfect world - I'd fab up an electronics tray and ditch the sides as well as the airbox - but I'm more interested in riding it than doing fab work currently.... I need to put time into practicing for my endorsement test. Maybe over the winter though.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ive always wondered what people do with all the electronics behind the side panels when they strip bikes. Its gotta go somewhere I suppose.

·
Registered
2012 TW200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the decals in on Friday - here's the finished product. Seems to hold pretty well.
Tire Land vehicle Plant Fuel tank Wheel
Tire Plant Fuel tank Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Got the decals in on Friday - here's the finished product. Seems to hold pretty well. View attachment 219105 View attachment 219106
Looks great! I've been holding onto the same decals for a couple months and was wondering how the finished product was going to look. I'm doing a throwback to the old yellow YZs.

I'm assuming (since the speed lock decals on eBay are far and few between) that if they are the same decals that I have, you just trimmed them back a bit? Mine are 18" long and 2.75" tall.

Great job though, looks awesome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts