TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
What are some good places to ride in the provo/salt lake area? Once the snow melts of course.

The whole of the Wasatch Plateau is a killer area, with hundreds of ATV and jeep roads with spectacular views. If you have a Garmin GPS, PM me with email addy and I'll send you some tracks and pics. (I guess it doesn't have to be a Garmin, they are *gpx files)

For starters:

http://www.utah.com/art/maps/offroad/skylinemap.pdf

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello B-dub, Others
I have ridden the White Rim on a KLR650 but it was rushed. My riding partners were more interested in just checking if off as having done it rather than really enjoying the views.
I am planning to do it again at my pace again in April. I have the large tank on it so no real fuel range issues.
In addition to the TW I also acquired a DR350se recently.
Do you think the TW had adequate power and grip to ride the WRT? I know you did it but would you do it again? I am about 225# and will have additional 30# in water/food/etc.
Or maybe the DR might be better? I thought the KLR650 was good but a bit heavy on certain hill climbs and sand.
Thanks
Simba

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I wouldn't hesitate to do it again on the TW, in fact my ride this last summer just renewed my respect for the TW. What a great little bike, so versatile. The only place it doesn't shine is above 55 mph, although there are some on the forum who would debate that with me.

With a Maxxis Ceros on the back I was geared a little higher than stock. I can only remember once that I came close to powering out, and I didn't have any traction problems. I am approximately your weight, I had full camping gear on the TW when I rode the WRT, and the TW handled it just fine.

I think the only real advantage to the DR is more power, and in my opinion more power isn't needed for taking it slow and enjoying the sights. OK, it probably has a better suspension too, but again not much of a deal if you're sightseeing.

In retrospect, in my report I probably made the WRT (and Lockhart Basin) sound more difficult than it was. It was kind of challenging, but being loaded, alone, and hotter than the blazes changes your perspective a bit. If I had set up a base camp so I didn't have to haul my gear, went during the spring or fall, and recruited a friend to go with me I'm sure it would have been easier and more enjoyable.

In conclusion, the short seat height, relative light weight, tractable engine, low 1st gear, big back tire, and just all around fun factor made the TW an ideal mount for the WRT and other trails I did last summer. I have no complaints at all with the TW, any limitations were mine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks B-dub,
I can't wait to get back to Moab with the TW and Dr350se. For the last 2 years I have taken the KLR650. It will be like doing all the trails with a new sense of adventure.
Anybody wanna have a TW reunion in Moab during Spring Break March 30-April 3rd?
Thanks
Simba

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again on the TW, in fact my ride this last summer just renewed my respect for the TW. What a great little bike, so versatile. The only place it doesn't shine is above 55 mph, although there are some on the forum who would debate that with me.

With a Maxxis Ceros on the back I was geared a little higher than stock. I can only remember once that I came close to powering out, and I didn't have any traction problems. I am approximately your weight, I had full camping gear on the TW when I rode the WRT, and the TW handled it just fine.

I think the only real advantage to the DR is more power, and in my opinion more power isn't needed for taking it slow and enjoying the sights. OK, it probably has a better suspension too, but again not much of a deal if you're sightseeing.

In retrospect, in my report I probably made the WRT (and Lockhart Basin) sound more difficult than it was. It was kind of challenging, but being loaded, alone, and hotter than the blazes changes your perspective a bit. If I had set up a base camp so I didn't have to haul my gear, went during the spring or fall, and recruited a friend to go with me I'm sure it would have been easier and more enjoyable.

In conclusion, the short seat height, relative light weight, tractable engine, low 1st gear, big back tire, and just all around fun factor made the TW an ideal mount for the WRT and other trails I did last summer. I have no complaints at all with the TW, any limitations were mine.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Are you the Simbaboy that did the hysterically funny ride report about the WRT over on ADVrider? :cool: Man, that was a good one!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes Sir. I rode with 3 other Dudes from the South.
Initially, I thought they took me along for my cute ass. But later I found out they were more interested in the KLR650 Super Tanker fuel tank. What a relief that was.
Simba

Are you the Simbaboy that did the hysterically funny ride report about the WRT over on ADVrider? :cool: Man, that was a good one!

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
Beautifull photos of beautifull country, thanks for sharing. I am curious if you could ride a full lap of White RimTrail from Moab to Green River's Mineral Bottom to confluence of Colorado River and back to Moab on one tank of gas. It is about 100 miles long, perhaps too far for a safe solo ride. I can recommend Torroweep destination, great free camp sites at end of road at Colorado River overlooking Lava Falls make a great base camp for day rides. Many interesting rock art sites in region, including one obscure site with strange unique paintings in australian aboriginal style. Wish I could find it, is kept secret to avoid vandalism.
You live in a great part of world for TW exploring.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Beautifull photos of beautifull country, thanks for sharing. I am curious if you could ride a full lap of White RimTrail from Moab to Green River's Mineral Bottom to confluence of Colorado River and back to Moab on one tank of gas. It is about 100 miles long, perhaps too far for a safe solo ride. I can recommend Torroweep destination, great free camp sites at end of road at Colorado River overlooking Lava Falls make a great base camp for day rides. Many interesting rock art sites in region, including one obscure site with strange unique paintings in australian aboriginal style. Wish I could find it, is kept secret to avoid vandalism.
You live in a great part of world for TW exploring.
You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it.

I think making the 100 mile trip with a stock tank and no extra gas would be pushing your luck. Lizrdbrth's advice was to hope for 65 mpg, or whatever you normally get, but plan on 50 mpg. That way you won't get caught short. I had a 3 gallon XT350 tank, so didn't have any problems.

Yes, Toroweap is a great ride, and place to camp. I've been to the petroglyphs at Nampaweap, well worth the short hike. I also would like to find some of the other rock art sites in the area.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The get together for Spring break in Moab sounds like a great adventure.
Happy Trails All
Ron in Boise

Thanks B-dub,
I can't wait to get back to Moab with the TW and Dr350se. For the last 2 years I have taken the KLR650. It will be like doing all the trails with a new sense of adventure.
Anybody wanna have a TW reunion in Moab during Spring Break March 30-April 3rd?
Thanks
Simba

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks guys. I'm not sure of the dates for the Easter Jeep Safari, but Moab is likely to be pretty crowded around Easter time. I would like to join you, but changing job requirements means I'm probably going to be pretty busy this year. We'll have to see how it goes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The week of March 30th you will miss Jeep Safari but I know that week is Spring break for many Utah schools so the area will be crowded. Jeep Safari is the week of April 13th and you want to avoid Moab during that time. The Swell area is also a great area to explore. The crew looking for an area to ride along the Wasatch need to explore the Diamond Fork and Strawberry area it is full of single track trails my buddy and I ride it every summer and Hunt it almost every Fall. If a group is planning on a SW Utah ride please count me in.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Simba you will like the white rim trail. The prettiest trail we went on was Onion creek. It was beautiful oh and top of the world was by far the coolest overlook we seen on the whole trip. The 5+ miles to get up there was fun and technical but not to tuff. Maybe I will meet you again in the middle of the desert somewhere.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I remember meeting you at Fred's Arrowhead. I was on my KLR650 Tengai getting the Doohickey done.
I got my TW from a Bud of yours in a trade.
Its a Small's World!
Simba/Imu
Lansing, MI area.

Simba you will like the white rim trail. The prettiest trail we went on was Onion creek. It was beautiful oh and top of the world was by far the coolest overlook we seen on the whole trip. The 5+ miles to get up there was fun and technical but not to tuff. Maybe I will meet you again in the middle of the desert somewhere.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'd love to go and meet you guys, don't know if I could keep up, but love to try. I live about 2 1/2 hours away.

B-dub, love your ride reports awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Absolutely you will be able to keep up. Please join. I am the slowest off road rider in any group---but I carry the snacks so people have to wait for me if they don't want to starve.
Simba

21 - 40 of 85 Posts