TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone use/recommend for a visor treatment as far as something to help water bead. A guy at work recommended something called "Novex" but I can't find anything like it.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Rain-X is the only product I use. Nothing fancy just buy a gallon jug of the windshield washer fluid moisten a washcloth and wipe your visor inside and out for a few minutes. use a dry cloth to wipe down when finished. It works by removing micro particles from the surface of the lens and fills small scratches and nicks. These are the things the water clings too.

Tom

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Another Rain X user...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
And another rain X user

·
Registered
291 Posts
I always thought those Rain-X commercials were BS, but I broke down and tried it :shocked: It is amazing.

Reactions: grewen

·
Registered
46 Posts
From the Rain-X site's FAQ:

Is Rain‑X® Original Glass Treatment safe to use on plastics, motorcycle windshields, and ATVs?
No. This product is intended for automotive glass applications.
Considering it's pretty much denatured alcohol with some other additives, I'd be very cautious about using it on anything that's not glass. It would be a really bad day to get hit by something on your shield and have it shatter because the Rain-X weakened it. YMMV, but I personally wouldn't risk it.

There's at least one report of a paintballer using it on his goggles, and having it weaken them to the point that an impact shattered them, and he lost (the use of) his eye.

Cat Crap may do what you're looking for, but AFAIK it's mostly for anti-fog. Would be something to try though.
This stuff is made specifically for this purpose.

·
Registered
291 Posts

Considering it's pretty much denatured alcohol with some other additives, I'd be very cautious about using it on anything that's not glass. It would be a really bad day to get hit by something on your shield and have it shatter because the Rain-X weakened it. YMMV, but I personally wouldn't risk it.

There's at least one report of a paintballer using it on his goggles, and having it weaken them to the point that an impact shattered them, and he lost (the use of) his eye.

Cat Crap may do what you're looking for, but AFAIK it's mostly for anti-fog. Would be something to try though.
Well, Sheep.:mad: Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
6,451 Posts

That is NOT the same product as the windshield washer fluid. I believe it has been stated on here to use the windshield washer fluid. I have never used the original treatment but have been using the windshield washer fluid for at least a decade "even on my eye glasses with poly lenses" with zero detrimental effects.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,141 Posts

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
So this will remove the scratches on my face shield then? Is it really good?
I won't make an old shield look new but does make it better, but small minor scratches do disappear.

It isn't cheap -- before I buy any more I will be trying out some other things.

·
Super Moderator
18,141 Posts
I won't make an old shield look new but does make it better, but small minor scratches do disappear.

It isn't cheap -- before I buy any more I will be trying out some other things.
Thanks brother Tony, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yup, Plexux on the outside and Scott's Anti-Fog on the inside. Great stuff. Didn't know Plexux came in an came in a big can like that, will check out Amazon for that size, thanks. Have yet to try Liquid Pledge the furniture polish. Cheap and have heard of great results. But Rain-X. I highly advice against it. Don't ask me why. But if it works for you, have at it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a cab on a tractor with that vinyl clear plastic type stuff for windows. In a different forum it has been discussed that you never use window cleaner or paper towels on that stuff.

A fella in the know that also has many plexi glass display cases said that you never use those items on that either.

It sounds absolutely crazy, because in the times that I have used it, it seems to have a waxy or greasy residue, but he said you only clean those items (plastics and plexis) with regular old Pledge furniture polish and soft cloth (old t shirt).

I have tried it. It works very well.

I also researched it a bit and owners and maintainers of small private jets and airplanes also say they use it to clean their windows, tho others have their own opinions. ;)

It fills little scratches and and wipes completely clean.

As far as long term effects concerning shattering, that I did not hear about.

$0.02

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Spit.

No, not the stuff from your mouth. The anti-fog product I use on my SCUBA goggles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts