TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VPN’s – A Warning ….

With the advent of increased VPN usage, we (the board) have had to come up with some sort of “rules” which both allow for their use, whilst still letting the Mods carry out the day to day tasks

To this end, and this should only affect new members, if you are using a VPN for your first few posts, expect to be contacted by the mods (or even better, contact the mods yourself), and explain yourself. Because if you don’t, you will be banned

The deal is simple – we on this board need to feel comfortable with just who’s on here, and if you’re using a VPN with the IP jumping about all over the place from country to country, as a newcomer, you are presenting a “target” for the Mods

The other issue, is that when we check your IP for spam activity, VPN IP’s are notorious for it. Let’s face it, if you are intent on nefarious activity, you would use a VPN – “the need to hide”

So all we (the Mods) ask for is this: When you join up, if you have a genuine need to constantly use a VPN, contact either Littletommy or myself and simply tell us the reason. We have better things to do than instigate a “shoot on sight” policy, so simply explain yourself

Once you have a dozen or so posts, no-one cares if you use a VPN or not – the trust is established - It’s just the start of your membership that counts, because that’s when we sort out the good guys from the bad

So please tell us what’s going on, or we’re going to assume the worst …….

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not sure if I’m on your radar or not.... nothing to hide here... I work off shore all over the world... and I see the flag changed several times to match roughly my location... couple month ago I was in Brazil, then Norway, now Spain.... hope for Canada soon. :) disregard if you were not talking about me. Kevin

·
Super Moderator
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VPN’s are a difficult subject. On one hand, if you are in a country that restricts access to certain sites, they can break that restriction – they also have their uses if you spend a lot of your time using public networks, as much of your personal information will remain hidden

But they also make you “unaccountable” for your internet activity, and it’s that last thing that is the concern

The Mods can only do so much to keep this place clean, and if a new member is posting “suspicious” stuff, we will look at their IP – if we can trace that IP to a static address, we can make a clean and fair decision – if all we get is a VPN that bounces all over the place, the “little red dot” comes out

That’s where communication comes in

So far, instances are rare, but nonetheless we have to have a policy to deal with these

“Talk now or get shot”

As said earlier, once we know you after a number of posts, relax and pull up a chair regardless

Pain in the butt, but we have to move with the times …..

·
Registered
12 Posts
VPN’s – A Warning ….

With the advent of increased VPN usage, we (the board) have had to come up with some sort of “rules” which both allow for their use, whilst still letting the Mods carry out the day to day tasks

To this end, and this should only affect new members, if you are using a VPN for your first few posts, expect to be contacted by the mods (or even better, contact the mods yourself), and explain yourself. Because if you don’t, you will be banned

The deal is simple – we on this board need to feel comfortable with just who’s on here, and if you’re using a VPN with the IP jumping about all over the place from country to country, as a newcomer, you are presenting a “target” for the Mods

The other issue, is that when we check your IP for spam activity, VPN IP’s are notorious for it. Let’s face it, if you are intent on nefarious activity, you would use a VPN – “the need to hide”

So all we (the Mods) ask for is this: When you join up, if you have a genuine need to constantly use a VPN, contact either Littletommy or myself and simply tell us the reason. We have better things to do than instigate a “shoot on sight” policy, so simply explain yourself

Once you have a dozen or so posts, no-one cares if you use a VPN or not – the trust is established - It’s just the start of your membership that counts, because that’s when we sort out the good guys from the bad

So please tell us what’s going on, or we’re going to assume the worst …….

Pilot here, so.... Location subject to change without warning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts