TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been working a lot, and then playing a lot, so I haven't made the time to work on editing video. I got one done, so I thought I'd start this thread to post what I get done to. Below is Day 2 - Chicken Corners via Kane Springs Rd and Hurrah Pass.

I brought Sidekick Chad and his XT225 and Kevin and his WR450F to the Moab meetup in April, so you'll see them a lot here as in most of my videos since they are my most reliable riding buddies. They've never ridden in Moab before, so we did some classics and scenic rides. We all have Sena communicators, so that is the source of the voice audio in the videos. I mostly turn the camera on when I'm expecting cool scenery or terrain or challenges or just to get some of the changing landscape, then I'm just b.s.-ing with the boys. I'm not always proud of what comes out of my mouth, but it's me, it's life, take it or leave it I guess.

Day 1 the GoPro was a no-go, so no no footage of Sovereign ATV trail and Seven Mile Rim trail from that day. Here are a few pics...

WP_20170330_006.jpg WP_20170331_002.jpg WP_20170401_006.jpg WP_20170401_009.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some pics of north camp...

WP_20170402_001.jpg WP_20170402_005.jpg WP_20170402_007.jpg WP_20170402_015.jpg WP_20170404_031.jpg

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay, Day 2...

While all of the crazies went to do the crack and spike and hard trails, I wasn't feeling up for that challenge on day 2 of what was basically day 2 of the riding season, since it had rained for 10 months back up in the Pacific NW. I wanted the boys to see some scenery, so I planned to take them down to town, out Kane Springs Rd. at the McDonalds, over Hurrah Pass and out to Chicken Corners. Somehow, we picked up vanillagorilla, who had planned to ride with the crazies. I guess we looked nuts, because he assumed we were going on that ride and followed us all of the way to town. Now stuck with us, he flew past us all day. I didn't know a t-dub could do what he did on his.

I use the Moab 4x4 book for planning, so I also had #33 in my GPS which was Jackson Hole, a "moderate" rating in the book. It is a spur road off of the main road out to Chicken Corners, so we took it on our way back. It goes out for a while and then does a loop. Gorgeous! Kind of a bouncy, rough ride, but it rounded out the day of just amazing scenery. We also bumped into some other dubbers a couple of times along the way.

Enjoy...

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
"Crazies" eh? Too Funny.

In May I (we) rode Chicken Corners which was my first time in 4 Moab trips. Watching your video I'm now positive we didn't go to the turn around point "Chicken Corners". Where we stopped there wasn't the hiking trail to the real Chicken Corner. I'm sure we stopped to soon now. I had it in the back of my mind to ride the Jackson Loop but it was getting late so I didn't suggest it. Cool Stuff! ...so far.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a couple of nice overlook areas along that road. The one at the end is great, especially if you aren't a chicken and walk around the corner (it's not that bad at all). The last two pics in the chicken corners part are from around the other side. Also, from the other side you are able to look all around towards the SW and see features inside of Canyonlands NP. The Jackson Hole ride in-out-loop is also very scenic and well worth it next time. I recommend it.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Slickrock Bike Trail

Day 3 - Sand Flats and the slickrock

A group of us headed down to town and up to the Sand Flats Recreation Area to ride the Slickrock Bike Trail. Two previous Moab meet-ups and I had not been on this quintessential trail! It lived up to its lore. Gorgeous scenery, of course. Up and downhill slopes you may need a adult diaper for. Side hill riding next to canyon cliffs, etc., etc. As I sort of mention towards the end of my video, it was more difficult than I thought it would be for me. I mean, it's clearly totally do-able since nobody in our group ever actually crashed, but some of the tight switches, steep uphill slopes with bumps or ledges in the middle of the climb, and some of the near vertical bunny hops you needed to make got my heart rate up more often than I had pictured in my head pre-ride. One of the best trails ever though, and, well, you gotta do it.

Seriously though, the stupid wide angle fish eye lens of my old GoPro Hero 2 doesn't seem to give an accurate feel to how steep some of those up and down hill slopes were. Enjoy...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Day 3 continued-

We spent the day in the Sand Flats Recreation Area, so after riding the Slickrock Bike Trail we move onto do Fins and Things and Hells Revenge. It all offered crazy steep slopes, mixed with sandy areas, mixed with rough rocky areas. The snow capped La Sal Mountains felt so much closer than they appear on video which made the rides in Moab majestic. Unfortunately, since we were out there for so many hours I used up all of the batteries for the GoPro on Slickrock and Fins and Things, so I didn't get any footage of Hells Revenge.

Enjoy the final video of day 3, Fins and Things...

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Day 3 - Sand Flats and the slickrock

A group of us headed down to town and up to the Sand Flats Recreation Area to ride the Slickrock Bike Trail. Two previous Moab meet-ups and I had not been on this quintessential trail! It lived up to its lore. Gorgeous scenery, of course. Up and downhill slopes you may need a adult diaper for. Side hill riding next to canyon cliffs, etc., etc. As I sort of mention towards the end of my video, it was more difficult than I thought it would be for me. I mean, it's clearly totally do-able since nobody in our group ever actually crashed, but some of the tight switches, steep uphill slopes with bumps or ledges in the middle of the climb, and some of the near vertical bunny hops you needed to make got my heart rate up more often than I had pictured in my head pre-ride. One of the best trails ever though, and, well, you gotta do it.

Seriously though, the stupid wide angle fish eye lens of my old GoPro Hero 2 doesn't seem to give an accurate feel to how steep some of those up and down hill slopes were. Enjoy...

This was one of my favorite places on the slickrock trail. Had the full blown Fred Flintstone feel for me.

Yeah, this spot was tricky both ways but more so heading back. You bleeped out a comment so I suppose you agree with me:p

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Day 3 continued-

We spent the day in the Sand Flats Recreation Area, so after riding the Slickrock Bike Trail we move onto do Fins and Things and Hells Revenge. It all offered crazy steep slopes, mixed with sandy areas, mixed with rough rocky areas. The snow capped La Sal Mountains felt so much closer than they appear on video which made the rides in Moab majestic. Unfortunately, since we were out there for so many hours I used up all of the batteries for the GoPro on Slickrock and Fins and Things, so I didn't get any footage of Hells Revenge.

Enjoy the final video of day 3, Fins and Things...

When Bodi took us on this trail for the first time in Moab 15 we riding in the opposite direction of what you have to nowadays. I remember this spot gave us a little trouble as I feel we were still all learning how to really ride off-road and in Moab in particular. Today, we ride up or down this stuff thinking how exciting it is rather than the horror of us crashing.

Great video's Larry!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Moab is a sort of paradise for riding, and it offers something for everyone in all difficulty classes.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice Fred. Looks great. What camera and editing software are you using these days?

I lost the game because I couldn't keep track after wiggling my pinkie toes!

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
Hi Larry, sorry for the semi-hijack.
Camera as always is a four year old Contour+2 set at 720p and 30 frames per second. No software editing is used per se, simple unedited video clips stitched together with a bit of post-post-production music added after uploading to Youtube. My laptop’s memory issues preclude being able to leave camera on for extended periods. Thus the captured clips reflect when I think something might be interesting ahead and happen only when I feel it is safe enough to reach up activate camera. As such I sometimes miss video-ing some exciting challenging sections as I need to keep both hands on the handle bar.:eek: SlickRock Trail is a good example of a ride where often I didn’t feel comfortable letting go of the handlebar to manage camera.
Basically I would need an external memory drive to facilitate downloading and editing of clips longer than a minute or so.
I am still a fan of the torpedo shapes of the Contour and Ion camera lines. They permit a more conformal installation on helmet visor or chin that one cannot replicate with boxy Go-Pros or their clones. I prefer the imagery gotten from a chin mount, plus many of the GoPro’s seem to have wider angle lenses with the accompanying spherical and “ropey” distortions at lower frame rates.
While a built in microphone jack permits sound capture options I have been pleased with acceptably low flow noise using just the stock mic.
An added bonus are the incorporated standard 1/4-20 tripod threads in addition to the proprietary mounts. This really increases mounting flexibility. With a Go-Pro one pretty much needs their bulky accessories. Contour flush mounts have no protruding appendages to generate turbulence and flow noise.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No worries Fred, it appears to be just us here, haha. The original Contours were great cameras. I've been running the GoPro Hero 2, because well, it was a free hand-me-down! Sidekick Chad picked up a Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/522869), which is a GoPro type. It is very impressive in clarity, image stabilizing, and a fish-eye-less view. We both run ours on a chin mount. We like the Proshot chin mount (proshotcam). It seems pretty unintrusive and convenient.

As for the bullet style cams, Everide has been putting up some pretty impressive footage with the Sony FDR-X3000 (https://www.sony.com/electronics/actioncam/fdr-x3000-body-kit).

It is a large investment to get good quality videos...cameras, microphones, sticks, drones, tripods, powerful computer hardware, editing software, etc. Then, of course there is the TIME! That is what I am always short of. One of these days I'll put in the investments to churn out some better stuff.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Day 4 --

After an intense day 3 on the slickrock, for a change of pace, I took a group on a ride down to the Green River via Spring Canyon Bottom and Hey Joe road/trails. This out-and-back is one of my favorite rides in Moab due to its beauty. I absolutely love looking up at the shear cliff walls in all of their splendor and might. In awe of the colors, and puzzled by the shapes nature created. It is a mostly easy ride on a dual-sport motorcycle. I included in the video most of the challenges, crossing the stream, rocky areas, some washout dips, some mud, and vegetation. I highly recommend combining it with Long Canyon, which will be the next video in the series. Enjoy!

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
It was weird not riding with you this year (except WRT). Seems like you met more traffic on the trail like we did. More than last year for sure and a lot more jeep sized 4x4's.

Only 3 of us (ejfranz, Stig, & me) rode Hey Joe this year. Stig crawled into a mine opening (small hole) near the machinery (old pickup) that some people who were coming out told us about. I've posted Stig's mine video somewhere in my Moab 17 thread. Stig reported it was dark in there haha.

Thanks for sharing Larry. It's funny to hear you giggle in your videos...and bleep out some words. :D

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was weird not riding with you this year (except WRT). Seems like you met more traffic on the trail like we did. More than last year for sure and a lot more jeep sized 4x4's.

Only 3 of us (ejfranz, Stig, & me) rode Hey Joe this year. Stig crawled into a mine opening (small hole) near the machinery (old pickup) that some people who were coming out told us about. I've posted Stig's mine video somewhere in my Moab 17 thread. Stig reported it was dark in there haha.

Thanks for sharing Larry. It's funny to hear you giggle in your videos...and bleep out some words. :D
Your ticket sells out quick, my friend! Haha. I revisited your thread over the weekend, and we rode a lot of the same rides, just not on the same day. You did an excellent job on your thread, and since you called us (others with cameras) out there, I had to start one too. For those that haven't seen his... http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/38585-moab-2017-admirals-views.html

I do make my videos longer. Mostly because I want to edit them just once, and I like to have them be as much of a personal scrapbook to myself as being captivating to the audience. I do try to add in significance where I can so that others that may be interested in a certain trail/road/ride/etc. can get a feel for what it is, and what it'd be like on a TW.

Thanks for the encouragement.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Day 4 cont'd...

After a glorious morning ride down Spring Canyon Bottom and the Hey Joe mine area, the group split up. Most headed back towards camp. Sidekick Chad wisely followed my lead to ride further up Hwy 313 to go down Long Canyon. It's not a difficult road, and it offers more amazing scenery. Up on top, the views of the red fins and the snow capped La Sal mountains lit up by the afternoon sun is a sight to behold! Winding down through the canyon is also amazing. A must while in Moab. Thanks for watching!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts