TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Sounds like your cam or cam bearing/ bushing is fried.
This is the first thing I would suspect. Sounds like you should pull the camshaft "collar" and inspect. In fact, I suggest replacing the factory part (#90387-255F3-00) with a #6005 open bearing. Take the opportunity to pull the camshaft and inspect it for any wear at the same time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I believe some people remove the piston still in the cylinder because they are not intending to check out or mess with the cylinder or piston. Might just be replacing the base gasket. The piston will remain in the same position for the wrist pin and rod.
Did you check out the rubber intake manifold to ensure it does not have a crack? Could possibly make a whistling sound at higher revs.
I see. And yeah I suppose it can be easier to remove 1 circlip than compressing rings for fitment into a cylinder.

The intake manifold is from ebay and was much better condition than my original one. I did not see any cracks when inspecting it.

I'm just in a spot now where I have the head off so I guess I might as well just do the cam stuff while the hoods up. And rings. I suppose I'll just do both. The classic: "Throw parts at it till the problem is fixed":)

How difficult is it to replace the cam?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This is the first thing I would suspect. Sounds like you should pull the camshaft "collar" and inspect. In fact, I suggest replacing the factory part (#90387-255F3-00) with a #6005 open bearing. Take the opportunity to pull the camshaft and inspect it for any wear at the same time.
Thanks for the tip Dave. So this one would work as a replacement for the collar entirely?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
That's the one, Dan!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
You're right about that exhaust valve. Holy crap.

What did the plug look like when you pulled it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just pulled the cam and collar... Is there supposed to be a diagonal slash on the inside of the collar? Even aside from that, the inside of it looks kinda rough in my opinion..

Would this have been the cause of that noise??

Photograph Tire Light Automotive tire Blue

I know some of this damage could be from me during removal.. Seemed like there was some dirt or debris in there I had to pull and wiggle the collar off the cam (see lower right pic, the smaller scratches on the left side.. Those a probably from me when trying to slide it off the cam).

How does my cam look.. should I replace that too?
Bicycle part Tool Gas Household hardware Nickel

Engineering Metal Auto part Household hardware Machine

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yep. The cam and bearing got fried. Happens sometimes when the top end bleeder was not opened after an oil change.
There is a groove on the inner part of the bearing.
Got it. Thanks for the confirmation. The cam is definitely toast too?

Man I am seriously considering just scooping a xt225 donor at this point....

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Could you take a couple of photos of the your valve rocker arms showing what the condition is where they ride on the cam lobes? They should be smooth. Also take a look at the pocket in the head where the cam ends goes to make sure it is not galled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Could you take a couple of photos of the your valve rocker arms showing what the condition is where they ride on the cam lobes? They should be smooth. Also take a look at the pocket in the head where the cam ends goes to make sure it is not galled.
Best I could do with the lighting I had. Also there is some fresh oil on the parts from when I was test fitting the cam + new bearing.
White Automotive tire Light Black Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Rim Alloy wheel

21 - 33 of 33 Posts