TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was out riding, did over 100 miles under a clear blue sky, very rare in southeast Alaska. With only 500 yards till home my chain seal came off and threw the chain off the front sprocket. Without any tools I was able to put the chain back on and baby her home. This got me thinking about how in my 25k miles of motorcycle riding between a KLR650 and TW200 I have never, not once, not made it home. *knock on wood* What are your experiences? Has a broken down TW ever left you walking home? What tools do you wish you had, or was it something that no one could have predicted or fixed (seized motor).

Any long hauls I carry:
small metric tool kit
stop-and-go air pump
tire patch kit
Motion pro tire spoons w/ metric wrench ends

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
What is a "chain seal"?

I have always "made it home"...but sometimes limping or bleeding or with a damaged helmet.
Once from a police station...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Pretty sure it’s the rubber protecting the swingarm that the chain slides on.

Don’t ride too long like that. It’ll start sawing through the swingarm. The swingarm has to come off to replace it. Unless you want to modify the part. Not too bad, just awkward and time consuming.

Someone posted cheap knockoffs I think on Amazon or eBay. Search the threads. Good luck. Glad you got home and it didn’t lock up the rear.

I’m a city guy, so the one time I got stumped by an electrical problem I took a $6 Uber home and brought my truck back to get it.

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
I always call someone when I break down. That way I don't have to walk. :p

Blown engine. Wife recovery mobile

Unknown electrical problem. Later determined to be the pickup coil co-located with the stator. Pops-in-law recovery vehicle

Reactions: Darth and GOF

·
Registered
301 Posts
Battery died out of the blue. Stopped to take a break and walk around WAY back in the woods on a single track. NO fricken kick start so I was done. Pushed that POS nearly 3 miles till I found a hill big enough and with solid enough ground to bump start her. Back in the day when cell phone wasn't even around.

This was on a XR650L not a TW. Bump starting a 650 single in nearly impossible but it can be done., by yourself. Had no choice.

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Have seized a cylinder once and holed a case in a river crossing once on enduro bikes, both resulted in about 10 mile hikes. Left one of these bikes overnight upright standing in mud in a not-quite-dry lakebed outside Tonopah NV once, but returned at dawn when mud was semi-frozen and rode out.
The TW has treated me better though allowing me to limp home with flat rear tire twice. Another time Betty Boop was so mired in mud I had to walk away to find cell service & call for help. Help brought me excavation tools

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I also want to know what a "chain seal" is too? Master Link? Never heard the term before with close to 50 years of motorcycles.
AKTW... what is it? My Dad always said if you get to learn at least one new thing a day you're doing okay.

Reactions: Darth

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"chain seal" is what Yamaha calls the part. It is a rubbery plasticy thing that is about 3 inches behind the front sprocket. Typically it is white or yellowish. This covers the swing arm from the chain rubbing on it.

Everyone says you have to remove the swing arm to replace it, I had the same part go out on the KLR650 and I was able to replace it by bending/wrappng it around and fishing it through. Has anyone been able to do that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts