TW200 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Forum! Yep, I still need to get a TW, but am stuck in indecision...is that proper English? Anyway, I go back and forth bt TW or the DR200. I like the tame nature of the TW, as it fits for me...I am no hotdog 🤖 But, I know the temptation of faster = more, and more should be better/more fun, etc. One reason I like the TW might be foolish, but it might be the only bike that prevents the tendency to want faster and faster, especially as things get old/boring/etc. I want to create obstacles to be stupid, so I don't wind up with another trip to the ER for thinking "I got this", when I don't. In that sense, the twitchiness (responsiveness) of bikes like the DR200, matched with the thin ner tire profile, would seem more accident prone. Even though I read the DR is considered mild mannered, and a great beginner bike, I still want more of a putter, which I think the TW stands for, where you can bog way down in first, and still not die.

When I watch various videos on youtube, the more typical DR-type dual sport (the xt225, xt250, cfr250l, cfr300l, klx250, klx230, etc) are better suited to riders with much greater experience to get the bikes to perform on what the TW might just do, without a whole lot of drama. Even though most if not all of the TW riders I've seen in videos are amazing, I think it's about the bike's capability, rather than rider skill.

Maybe my hesitations are unfounded, and the DR is just as confidence inspiring as the TW. My guess, however, is that the only place to honestly compare the TW to the DR are basic specifications, like seat height, weight, engine size, hp, etc. But in the rider confidence category, the TW wins hands down. Sorry for rambling.

I wonder if the DR200 (or any other bike) could do what this guy does with his TW:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Im not sure exactly what you mean by confidence inspiring or twitchiness as far as handling characteristics are concerned. While im sure the dr200 is faster than the tw, i believe it has a fair amount more horsepower, neither of these bikes are fast. Both im sure can hold their own offroad though i only have experience with the tw in this case. Both bikes are light, fairly old school simple dual sport bikes. If youre a shorter person the tw may fit you better because the seat height is so short. If youre taller maybe the dr is the better choice. Im 6ft tall and the tw fits me just fine and i really like the short seat height offroad for putting a foot down maneuvering through trails and around/over obstacles offroad. Im not sure what sort of speed you can get out of a dr200 but my tw will get up to about 75 if i really want it to but you arent buying a small dual sport to haul ass down the interstate. The handling of the tw isnt twitchy though its a light bike with a short wheel base and i would call its handling responsive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts