TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so quick recap for those who may not know the history. I had a stock tank. I found the range to short for good rides. I purchased the Clarke TW200 tank knowing there were "issues" (you can read this thread, good info throughout but better from page 4 on https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/1238-clarke-tank-tw200.html ) . However, after using the Clarke TW200 tank for about 6 months I was not satisfied. The stated capacity was far from usable capacity, I really didn't like the fit and regardless of anyone else's opinion the "blemish" on mine was too much to ignore. Fast forward to Acerbis IT and Acerbis US telling me to piss up a rope as they have zero interest in producing a tank.

Here we are. I got to see a XT225 tank in person and it was actually perfect. No blemishes. Good fit. Good capacity and I even liked the way it looked. So, I ordered one. It is hard to believe that the TW200 and the XT225 tank are even made by the same people over at Clarke. I just wanted to share a pic of how it looks. So far the function is good. Sure it took some modifications and creativity to get it mounted perfectly, but alas here it is and I am happy with it. Quick note, after the first ride the ripple in the seat cover went away. You can see that in the crappy 2nd pic.

Click either pics for larger size and higher resolution.

Hope this helps anyone out there who may be interested. Cheers.

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, but I think it’s probably the angle of the pic. The front of the truck is leveled, but no other lift. It is a diesel with off-road tires though. However I do see you are located in Greece. That may make it a very relative statement. ;)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for posting this, Sthrnromr! I have been considering the Clarke XT225 tank, but was concerned that it might have the same "thin spot" issues as the TW200 model. You have alleviated my concerns, friend.
Glad to help reddave :)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
that's strange, the stock tank on my xt225 was 2.3 gal
Hmmm...
I wonder if the stock steel XT225 tank would work on a T-Dub w/o major surgery?
2.3 gal would be perfect for the way I use my bike.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's strange, the stock tank on my xt225 was 2.3 gal
For clarity, this is an XT225 tank from Clarke. Not a stock tank.

Hmmm...
I wonder if the XT225 tank would work on a T-Dub?
I would imagine a stock XT225 tank would also fit, but with less capacity.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sthrnromr, great job!
I’ve been wondering if going the Clarke xt225 route would be better than the crappy Clarke tw tank that they refuse to fix. You mentioned having to do a little modification work. Without going into too much detail, what did that entail?
Also, could you post a side view profile photo of the bike with the handlebars straight? With your first photo the bars and hand guards cover up most of the tank.
Thanks again for taking the plunge and then posting your results!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sthrnromr, great job!
I’ve been wondering if going the Clarke xt225 route would be better than the crappy Clarke tw tank that they refuse to fix. You mentioned having to do a little modification work. Without going into too much detail, what did that entail?
Also, could you post a side view profile photo of the bike with the handlebars straight? With your first photo the bars and hand guards cover up most of the tank.
Thanks again for taking the plunge and then posting your results!
Sure thing. Here is a quick pic. ( Click for lager pic and higher resolution ). I will try to get some better ones as I'll be riding an OHV trail system with my son today. But here is what I snapped during install. Also, as for the mounting I used this thread as reference ( https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/4410-installing-clarke-xt225-tank.html ) . But, the whole hockey puck thing is not very easy for me to just go pick up down here, so I used some metal, spacers and bushings I had laying around and was able to get the tank mounted. It is not very difficult you just have to play with a few adjustments until you get the placement how you want it and make sure you still have full wheel turn capability without hitting the tank. I was able to find success with what I had in my shop, sans hockey pucks.

IMG_0545.jpg

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Sthrnromr, that is an awesome result you have achieved. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m an XT225 owner and have a Clarke tank too. Love the tank but the Clarke gas cap absolutely sucks. My gas cap split open after about 6 months of use. The fix is ordering a Tusk aluminum cap from RockyMountainATVMC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m an XT225 owner and have a Clarke tank too. Love the tank but the Clarke gas cap absolutely sucks. My gas cap split open after about 6 months of use. The fix is ordering a Tusk aluminum cap from RockyMountainATVMC.

Agreed. Tusk on mine. Works great.

·
Registered
562 Posts

A split gas cap will not only ruin your day but has the potential to leak fuel on your genitals which will also ruin your day. Those aluminum caps are heavy. And it seems like I'm always making my TW heavier. Does anyone other plastic cap fit Clark tanks?

·
Registered
13 Posts
A split gas cap will not only ruin your day but has the potential to leak fuel on your genitals which will also ruin your day. Those aluminum caps are heavy. And it seems like I'm always making my TW heavier. Does anyone other plastic cap fit Clark tanks?
Correct, the Tusk gas cap does weigh more than the cheapo cap that comes with the Clarke tank. Unfortunately most quality items will come with a weight penalty. I hate adding extra weight to the bike too because even small amounts add to a larger amount. If weight is a concern then a larger capacity fuel tank should not be an option. I guess one has to decide if avoiding “fuel on your genitals” is worth the extra 3.3 OZ weight penalty of the Tusk gas cap. I’d rather have a quality gas cap and then drop a few ounces from my body fat. I’ll be healthier for it too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts