TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine who passed away last year in a motorcycle accident left me his 2009 tw200, and it's seen better days for sure. He tried to repaint it and his dog ended up preferring the plastics instead of the chew toy they got him soo.. I think it's finally time for a complete rebuild. She runs like a champ i use it to get around town almost daily but I want to make this thing last.

Anyone have any resources for a top down rebuild on it? Advice on where to start? Im thinking about just tearing it down and doing it piece by piece and buying whatever needs replaced with factory parts but one look at the cart price and I can buy a new one with half the cost lol. Has anyone ever done this with their 200? Any and all input is much appreciated 馃

Registered
Rebuilding an 87 at the moment, bike is having some framework done to get a different motor in, but I've been slowly gathering all the parts and working on other sections of the bike.

That bike looks like it's in fairly decent shape!!!

I just started at the front, scouring eBay and deals on partzilla and Amazon for all the electrical, cabling, controls. Just focus on what's going to get the bike running first, all the plastics and junk can wait until the end.

Reuse and recondition what you have, sometimes a little pb blaster and a little paint can go a long way.

Registered
Sorry to hear about your friend. From personal experience, it's really easy to go overboard in this situation. You'll get it in your mind that you're honoring your friends memory with everything your doing and you can mentally trick yourself into making some not so sound decisions. If you catch yourself being in one of those situations, ask yourself if your buddy would've been prouder of you for spending the money or if that friend would've been more proud of how much you saved doing it a cheaper way.
Dad fell into this trap when my sister died in a car accident. She had several other vehicles and he just had to restore them all in her memory. Now there's 2 mint condition vehicles rusting away in the driveway and one he actually drives. We've since recovered from the shock and he now regrets every penny of it because he has thousands and thousands of dollars in 2 cars that are worth about 800$ and 3000$. Plus whatever he's got in the one he drives.

Once you get a list of cosmetic stuff it needs, throw up a want ad in here.

Registered
I tore down my 87 and powder coated and rattle caned bits, cleaned and added some bits. An exercise in patients, some blood and too much money LOL

have fun with it

Registered
whats your location I have 2 complete 2009 motors sitting in my parts bin one has 15k miles and likely a hole in the piston but the other had 5k miles and is in good shape ready to install

both are shiny clean Cali motors original paint still gleams throughout

In Arizona

Registered
whats your location I have 2 complete 2009 motors sitting in my parts bin one has 15k miles and likely a hole in the piston but the other had 5k miles and is in good shape ready to install

both are shiny clean Cali motors original paint still gleams throughout

In Arizona
I believe you may have overlooked the part where he says it runs like a champ. He's looking to restore the parts that are attached to said motor.

Reactions: KenR74
1 - 6 of 6 Posts