TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm in desperate need of a tw200 CDI. Does anyone have one for sale or know anyone who is selling one? I've tried everything and because of the year it's super hard to find any sort of conversion or parts for this bike. My bike is actually a 96 but I'm located in Canada so I guess Canada didn't change to new ignitions until 98 or maybe even 2001. I have a U.S. Address for shipping so it won't be an issue. It would help a lot! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,078 Posts
The 87 CDI is way different than any other year and should not be used. If yours is an 96, I would research it by that year.

Welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on what you find please.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I should've clarified. My bike is in fact a 1996 model as verified by the VIN stamped into the engine and frame, but the wiring harness, CDI, Stator, and all of the works of the ignition system are the parts from a 1987 TW. I think the Canadian TW's are different somehow, because my friends 1994 TW has the same ignition as mine. It's super confusing why it is the way it is, but that's just it. Its a 2XJ CDI. So basically I need the 1987 one

·
Super Moderator
18,078 Posts
Reactions: Dryden-Tdub

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I really can't afford a brand new one so that's why I was hoping someone had one :) it's definitely the CDI, I attempted to cut open a friends CDI that was broken and didn't realize I was holding my CDI and cut it open. One of the dumbest things I've ever done, that's for sure!

·
Super Moderator
18,078 Posts
Someone might, don't give up yet bro....

TW Brian??? :director: Calling TW Brian!!

·
Super Moderator
18,078 Posts
Stick around, someone might have one that will work.... Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
18,078 Posts
At least once a day until you hear something, post something in this thread, it will keep it up top as new stuff to read and someone may come along that has one. You are trying to obtain the rarest CDI around though and they can be almost impossible to find. There is one other option, there is an after market CDI out there that has worked for some, but I can't think who makes it or what it is called...anyone know?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ignitec is the one I've heard of. I sent them an email and am just waiting for a reply. They seem cheap and getting a programmable cdi would be really neat to play around with :D

·
Super Moderator
18,078 Posts
That's the one!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you very much for that video! I passed it a million times on YouTube thinking it wasn't an 87, I guess I learned my lesson on assuming :p We have a local vendor in London ON that sells those GY6 CDI's so I'm going to pick one up and try it. Thank you guys for all of the responses! By the way, I got ahold of ignitec and it looks like it's going to be $145 usd for the non programmable version with $52USD shipping, and with current exchange it comes out to about $250 CAD. Ouch!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, tried the Chinese CDI and I have spark and the bike runs, but the spark is weak and the power of the bike is way down. It'll tie me over until I can find a better one but its weak! Anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for a TT-R125? I have a CDI from one coming from eBay because I thought I would try the TTR conversion but I didn't realize that my stator is an 87 stator :mad: Anyways thanks for the help guys!

·
Super Moderator
5,269 Posts
Anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for a TT-R125? I have a CDI from one coming from eBay because I thought I would try the TTR conversion but I didn't realize that my stator is an 87 stator :mad: Anyways thanks for the help guys!
Go to Google - click on "images" search for "TT-R125 wiring diagram" - take your choice .........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I search TTR125 wiring diagram there are no TTR wiring diagrams, only diagrams for different bikes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, sorry I haven't updated this! I want to confirm that a Yamaha TTR 125 CDI from any year of the TTR works flawlessly with the 87 TW. The 88 and up needs the source coil switched because of the 3 wire source coil on the TW as opposed to the 2 wire source coil on the TTR and the 87 TW. I've put over 250 kilometers on my bike with the TTR CDI and there is no knock or power loss with premium gas. You can get them for as cheap as $20 on eBay! Anyway, I found an 87 CDI on eBay for $75 with free shipping so I bought that as fast as I could fill out the payment info :p I'll be selling my TTR CDI to a friend with an 87 ignition whose CDI is bad. Thank you guys for your help while I was trying to get it all figured out!

·
Registered
163 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts