TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 13\63 combo and I can go anywhere in first gear. Even going down hill I don't have to use a break
stufid thats what i'm wanting also, I've got some long descents that i can shut the motor off for and coast down in first so save the brake pads. Also looks like we are neighbors, i am in the boise/mtn home area.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
stufid thats what i'm wanting also, I've got some long descents that i can shut the motor off for and coast down in first so save the brake pads. Also looks like we are neighbors, i am in the boise/mtn home area.
Sounds like a great idea, but I thought I read on here or somewhere that shutting off the ignition stops lubrication to the trans/gearbox. Could be wrong, I am old. Maybe someone can correct me.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You are correct that it has been posted that if the engine is not running, oil is not being sent to lubricate the tranny which may end up poorly for you. Or expensively.

When I've run 14-65; the great benefit was not using the brakes anywhere near as much going down hill; where touching the brakes could induce the bike to slide.
In some long steep downhill spots I had to shift up to 2nd because those ahead of me with stock gearing that were in 1st and constantly on their brakes, were still pulling away from me when I was in 1st and not braking at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys. I had not known that about the gear box i figured it was a simple pumper oiler like you find in transfer cases.

For the replacement chain how many links will i need running a 14/72? Its the final thing i need to order

1 - 13 of 13 Posts