TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting from Southern Arizona,

I am putting the finishing touches on a 1987 T-DUB that had been torn down and abandoned.
This will be my wife's grocery getter, and short distance moto-camping rig so It doesn't need to be pretty, just reliable.

I have been able to find some parts locally but am down to the last few hard to find items.

Fuel cap - I never in my life thought I would see $100 for a moto fuel cap on ebay... Inflation must be really bad.
Muffler - Stock is preferred, however an aftermarket may have to suffice.
Carb - I have a cleaned and functioning carb, but it has some pitting and the passages were filled with sand and debris. I'd feel better if I had a secondary as back-up.
Wiring loom - Mine is there and I have spliced and fixed and the bike is running, I just don't want to worry about it if we do any long distances.

Thanks for the help

Charles

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, for the heads up on the fuel cap. Part ordered.

Unfortunate for me, the closest moto-salvage is a few hours away.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
I have a carb that I bought from a member here a few years back for $100. Looks to be in great shape but I never had it on a bike and don't have a TW to try it on any more. Yours for the $100 plus postage. I also have what I believe is an 1987 wire harness. Not great and it does have some wires cut, I think for the blinkers. You can have it with the carb and possibly piece things together between yours and this one. The carb has no broke parts which is a rather common issue with the used ones you find at the auction site. You can also still buy brand new Old Style carbs for around $270 which I have done a few times.

Drop me a PM if at all interested.

GaryL IMG_1481.JPG IMG_1482.JPG IMG_1483.JPG

·
Registered
14 Posts
chas,
ive got an 86 which of course i cant find parts for so i just try to keep it in the "spirit" of original. stock colors and that sort of thing. it looks like you just want to use it for what it is so dont worry too much about museum quality details. enjoy the sucker!

·
Registered
149 Posts
chas,
ive got an 86 which of course i cant find parts for so i just try to keep it in the "spirit" of original. stock colors and that sort of thing. it looks like you just want to use it for what it is so dont worry too much about museum quality details. enjoy the sucker!
Chas, if your having problems finding parts you can use almost any of these TW 1987-2018 years components. My 1st TW was manufactured in 1986 sold in 1986 as a 1987.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
chas,
Welcome to the forum gringo. You have a TW200 that was built in 1986 but I can assure you it is a 1987 TW200 which is the very first year of this model of bike. Many parts from all the years still fit on your bike so there is no shortage of parts to keep yours running. The carb on the 1987 is the same as the one used right up through 2000. What is very different about the 1987 and only the 1987 is the electrical system. That is a one year only system and was upgraded for the 1988 models.

GaryL

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got a brand new 2017 muffler with 26 miles on t ill sell ya. make an offer
Bootz,

I think I remember reading that the muffler attachments changed in 2006.
If that is incorrect I'll hit you up for the '17 pipe.
Just out of curiosity, what did you put on yours? and are you happy with it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
that is correct about the attachment points changing. i can vouch that FMF slip-on pipes are off by approx. 35mm at the hanger above the buddy peg. easily remedied with some bar stock and grinder but a hassle none the less. kinda dulls the glitter($$$) of a farkle when you've gotta customize a direct-fit part but luckily i am not the one that paid for the FMF

·
Registered
8,298 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thumper- Thanks, I measured against my 2006 and that is about the distance. I guess it's back to an older stock muffler....

GaryL - I got my carb zeroed in with a rebuild kit and some Jets-R-Us jets. (and I've reached my budget for the month)
I'll check back to see if you still have the carb when my resource officer tells me I can spend more. I'm also wanting the rear plastic set, which I think I saw on your classified post, but not sure how it can be shipped

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Thumper- Thanks, I measured against my 2006 and that is about the distance. I guess it's back to an older stock muffler....

GaryL - I got my carb zeroed in with a rebuild kit and some Jets-R-Us jets. (and I've reached my budget for the month)
I'll check back to see if you still have the carb when my resource officer tells me I can spend more. I'm also wanting the rear plastic set, which I think I saw on your classified post, but not sure how it can be shipped
YUP! the shipping on the rear cowl would be pretty high even though it weighs next to nothing. The size of the box is where they get you. Buying that part local is your best bet or off ebay with free shipping. My used carb looks fine all around inside and out but I never had it on an engine so I can't attest to it functionality. A member who has one with broken float posts will likely be the buyer for it.

GaryL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts