TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
**Bought a Super Sherpa** Though, still interested in a TW if it's a really good deal.

a2a2e2y4.jpg

Hey all, I'm hunting for a TW200, XT225/250, Super Sherpa, etc etc. Basically a small dual sport for my girlfriend. She's taking MSF in a couple weeks, and I want her to have a bike waiting. I don't care what year, I just want a running bike for cheap! So, if you're close to me, have a decently price bike, I've got cash in hand. Let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey all, I'm hunting for a TW200, XT225/250, Super Sherpa, etc etc. Basically a small dual sport for my girlfriend. She's taking MSF in a couple weeks, and I want her to have a bike waiting. I don't care what year, I just want a running bike for cheap! So, if you're close to me, have a decently price bike, I've got cash in hand. Let me know, thanks.
I have one for sale but it may be a little more than you want. It is an 08. It has pro-taper ATV Hi bars, heated Rock Star grips, Clark tank, seat concepts seat, black Jimbo shield, large pegs, square IMGO mirrors, 12 volt outlet, HID front light, LED rear turn signals, Carb mod, Air-box mod, Front and rear Cycle Racks, Wolfman tank bag, Built tail bag, New Shinko Tires for street, a spare rear wheel and tire. I also have another complete set of rims with a Bighorn 2.0 rear and Kenda 760 front also all new. I am sure I forgot about some of the stuff I have. I want $#200 for everything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure that's $3200, huh? Yeah, it's out of my price range. I'm maxing out around $2k unfortunately. Bills and some such. Though it is a good deal for anyone who wants it, nice amount of farkles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still looking folks! I've literally walked through 3 barns in the last week to look at "mid-90s" "great condition" "running" TW200s. All of them have been 1987 models, rusted tanks. One had carb issues, one had what I'm guessing is a CDI issue, and the other just wouldn't start. None of them had their oil changed in the last 10 years, fuel probably as long. All needed new rubber, chains, sprockets. All the owners wanted over $1000. I laughed, offered $500-700 based on condition, and walked away.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Probably to far for you and it was posted 24 Feb. Still up though.1993, 9,000 miles, $1,600, Nampa, Idaho.

93 Yamaha TW200

There are others available too, but higher than what you want.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks admiral, I admire your TW quite a lot, found pictures on adv. What tank do you use?

As far as that one, it's not a good enough deal to warrant a 19 hour day in my book. Is that really what a 93 is worth?

Probably to far for you and it was posted 24 Feb. Still up though.1993, 9,000 miles, $1,600, Nampa, Idaho.

93 Yamaha TW200

There are others available too, but higher than what you want.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Thanks admiral, I admire your TW quite a lot, found pictures on adv. What tank do you use?

As far as that one, it's not a good enough deal to warrant a 19 hour day in my book. Is that really what a 93 is worth?
I'm pretty sure this seller will get pretty close to his asking price. I'm sure better deals can be had, but... TW's around here tend to be higher than elsewhere.

Got my tank from a forum member few years back. It's a mid 1980's XT600. I sure do like the extra range in-between fill up's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then I found a '96 that looks terrific for 1.8 should I just go for it? 4k miles and a cycle rack.

Think I'll need to hunt for that xt600 tank. Looks smoother than the xt225s.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Honestly $1,800 probably ain't bad all things considered. Nice lower miles, so lots of life left in. Cycle Rack = Bonus!

I really love the looks of the XT225 tanks, but even my XT600 is larger at about 2.9 gal. XT600 was offered so I accepted, but if I were looking for a different tank now, I'd be looking for a Clark XT350 tank or similar which holds about 4 gal. Lots of options of different tanks, all have some issues of fit or modification to fit. You'll figure out what your needs are once you get one!

Good luck!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Then I found a '96 that looks terrific for 1.8 should I just go for it? 4k miles and a cycle rack.

Think I'll need to hunt for that xt600 tank. Looks smoother than the xt225s.
If you need one NOW, that is not a bad price if well cared for. I found a 98 recently for $750.00. However, it was not running but was totally complete (6K miles). It needed about 20 hours of cleaning, adjusting, and a few missing nuts and bolts. If I had needed a shop to do the work I would have the shop time into it (20 hrs @ $?.?? - $500 to $1,000.00?). Plus, I bet they would have replaced a lot more parts than I did. So, it would not be hard to be into it for $1,750.00 if I couldn't do the work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bleh, I was going to pull the trigger on the '96. It was very well cared for, but he sold it before I could get to it. I'm so freaking upset, one of my local dealers took in a 2007 with only 180 something miles on it, cyclerack and everything. They paid $1200.... They won't sell it to me. They're going to use it for MSF classes. They're going to trash the crap out of that poor bike. They don't maintain any of their MSF fleet, I'm told they just snatch up good priced used ones, and run them until they die.

So, still looking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 1989 Black/Red tw200 with all new factory plastic, wide footpegs, protaper tall bars, new trailwing tire rear and Kenda 270 front. all cables and brake shoes were replaced. original owners manual and always serviced every 2 thousand miles. Runs like a top and still looks good for its age....looking to get $1700.00 if interested call me at 206-794-2092.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm probably going to end up with a Super Sherpa! I'm quite disappointed she's not getting a TW, but the little sherpa will still be a good starter bike. 2003 with less than 6k miles for $1600. I'll keep you guys up to date.

·
Registered
814 Posts
CMIKIMOTO posted,"WTS: 1989 Yamaha tw200
I am selling my 1989 Black/Red tw200. It has all new factory plastic's, wide footpegs, protaper tall bars, new trailwing rear tire and Kenda 270 front tire. all cables and brake shoes were replaced. comes with original manual and has always been serviced every 2k....runs like a top....bike is located in Snoqualmie wa. Im looking to get $1700.00...call Rick at 206-794-2092."

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Project 1987 TW200 Enduro / Dual Sport

[h=2]Project 1987 TW200 Enduro / Dual Sport - $600 (Port Angeles)[/h]

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map) (yahoo map)

more ads by this user
So I bought a used TW200 last year intending to modify it into a motard. It was really fun for a month, then it just stopped running when going down the highway (acted like it was out of gas). Since then, it has sat in my garage waiting for time to look at it. The only fix I tried was changing out the CDI as I know the '87's had an issue with the, well it now has a BRAND NEW $350 CDI, not the problem. Otherwise, I have yet to mess with it.

This bike as seen a lot of use in it's life, and is not pretty, but it was running great last September, with power to get 190lbs of me up to 55mph, but still have goat climbing gears to head into the hills.

In prep to tun it into something cool, I've bough a new set of indicator/hi/low/horn buttons ($85), (which are on the bars, but not yet hooked up), new mirrors($40), new small LED indicators($45), painted the engine with high gloss 3000* engine paint, and purchased new breaks for front and rear ($120, not installed).

This bike could be a great bike again, perfect for an around town cruiser, hunting bike, or for someone to learn on (small, but lots of power, hard to stall). This year included both a kick and electric start for ease and dependability which is very nice.

It could use some new rubber, still legal, but nearing the end, it also needs a battery, I hadn't changed it as it still worked with the kick start. If you wanted to bring this bike back to looking new, parts are very inexpensive and easily found on sites such ProCycle (Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle) or custom parts on JapanBike (YAMAHA TW200 Custom Parts and Customer Reviews). The last pic is what I was intending to do with it.

I am asking $600 OBO, which could easily be made up even parting it as it comes with 2 working, hard to find CDI units, and many new parts, just trying to get some of my money back from it. I would continue working on it, but recently bought a new BMW F650GS and will be moving to Alaska in a few weeks.

Would trade for a flat bed or enclosed trailer, a small or old quad, scooter, large dog kennel. I need this thing gone before I move, let me know what you have. Delivery available for the price of gas as far as Seattle. Clean tittle in my name. Current tabs. Make me an offer! I also have a KZ440/DR350 hybrid custom dual sport for sale, with some carb issues, and will make a great deal for the two of them!

I leave for AK in a few weeks, need this little teedub gone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts