TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...by secure, i mean, making it so prying hands can't get inside too easily. This is nothing more than my grocery/fetch stuff configuration, but want to do something simple with the lid to prevent the local meth-heads and tweakers from just opening and reaching in. There were no opaque ones, so I'm thinking of something just to cover it as well.

Ideas?

20141004_163532.jpg 20141004_163542.jpg 20141004_163604.jpg 20141004_163620.jpg

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
No offence but first get a dark colored, stronger box... This one is easily broken with a tap from a hard object of some sort. Look for a Rubbermaid action packer or stronger.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Just saw where you are, and worried about meth heads. What a shame this shit is in such beautiful places like the state of WA. I know, I see it's everywhere. But years ago, this crap was in the cities. WTF is happening? It's sad to say the least. Sorry to say, but I think you know the answer. There isn't any way to stop them. Clear plastic is good so they see not to trash it when empty. Make all your stops before you hit the food store where you fill it up. Then shoot right home after you have your goods. Nothing will stop 2 or more amped up kids from dragging your whole bike away. It's hard to stop them when in need of a fix.

Do NOT do this, but I'd feel like setting a bear trap in there. Then after a few loose hands, word on the street, Stay away from that bike....you can't do stuff like that, even though we'd like to...;)

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Just get the 8 gal Action Packer. You can put locks on it if you wish. Have it on one of our TWs works great.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would try and find some tough netting something like the orange stuff they have at construction sites used for temporary fencing. You could fasten one side and paddle lock the other. It would be hard for someone not prepared with cutters to cut it off, its tough stuff. You could also try and find some light weight cable netting and do the same thing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Used three 'U' bolts with wingnuts, covered it and added a couple locks.....this will work just fine for its intended purpose.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Locks are made to keep mostly honest folks out. When I docked my boats at a marina I left every lockable door and hatch unlocked! Thiefs did more damage breaking in than the value of what they stole. Out of sight is your best option but any box you secure on your bike and leave unattended is simple to break in to. The portable, battery powered disc grinder is the most popular burglar tool on the market and no lock stands a chance. If a thief can't easily get in your box then hell, just take the freaking bike! It is a sad world!

GaryL

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Locks are made to keep mostly honest folks out. When I docked my boats at a marina I left every lockable door and hatch unlocked! Thiefs did more damage breaking in than the value of what they stole. Out of sight is your best option but any box you secure on your bike and leave unattended is simple to break in to. The portable, battery powered disc grinder is the most popular burglar tool on the market and no lock stands a chance. If a thief can't easily get in your box then hell, just take the freaking bike! It is a sad world!

GaryL
My grandparents had a cottage, my grandfather insisted that it would never be locked. Also canned food would be left on table with a few dollars. This was after WWII. He had a grocery store during the war and had helped many when their rations ran out.
The cabin was never damaged and food and money sometimes would be gone. A few times more food and money was on the table, than what they had left.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
True about the locks, but this town, as small as it is, had a notorious amount of tweakers and undesirables that roam everywhere. A lot off towns they congregate in certain areas, but they are scattered pretty far and wide. So they are just looking for the quick grab, rather than full-on thieving process.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts