TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
If you run your TW over 55MPH your valves start to float due to the piss-pore Yamaha design of cutting corners and using weak valve springs. I just scattered my engine at 70mph. Broke exhaust rocker, bent valves and trashed the piston. Don't know if Yamaha is gonna warranty the rebuild. HEY YAMAHA, IF IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE RIDDEN OVER 55MPH, LIMIT THE F*****G REVS!

·
Super Moderator
17,953 Posts
First time I've heard of someone blowing up their TW.

Sounds like something was wrong with it. They usually hold up to wide open throttle for thousands of miles. Valve float is basically a rev limiter on these engines

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
what year and how many miles when it broke?

·
Registered
503 Posts
warranty! Make sure you get a loner too

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
If you run your TW over 55MPH your valves start to float due to the piss-pore Yamaha design of cutting corners and using weak valve springs. I just scattered my engine at 70mph. Broke exhaust rocker, bent valves and trashed the piston. Don't know if Yamaha is gonna warranty the rebuild. HEY YAMAHA, IF IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE RIDEN OVER 55MPH, LIMIT THE FUCKING REVS!
I am sorry to hear about your motor. Mine is a 2013 as well and swear at "60mph on the speedo" that equates to about 57mph in real life my engine sounds like it is going to rattle to pieces. I only weigh 165 and have broken it in responsibly. I do not think my engine will last one year the way it sounds.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
17,953 Posts
It should be ook as long as you dont run it low on oil. There are a handful of guys on here with 40-50,000+ miles without a rebuild yet.
Also, remember Yamaha's from the factory are lean lean lean, so there is more possibility for a blown up engine unless you have rejetted or adjusted your carb if you drive it to the extreme.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Had mine cruising at about 63-65 on the Odometer....but in reality on the street, 52-55 feels about right....in the short time I've had mine....300 miles and 3 1/2 months, I am learning quickly on the limitations the tw200 has.....and I can live with them.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Engine checked out at 70 mph ,surprised you weren't injured . How long ago was the last oil change , just curious , did you use the same oil type / brand as past oil changes .

·
Registered
273 Posts
Something more is afoot here because there is plenty of evidence on this forum alone that the engine is quite durable, able to take its share of abuse. I have put over 5000 miles on mine and probably 1/4 of those were at 60 plus mph. ...but I followed qwerty's carb tuning advice and that should make it run cooler. I also use synthetic oil.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Something more is afoot here because there is plenty of evidence on this forum alone that the engine is quite durable, able to take its share of abuse. I have put over 5000 miles on mine and probably 1/4 of those were at 60 plus mph. ...but I followed qwerty's crab tuning advice and that should make it run cooler. I also use synthetic oil.

I am also using Mobil 1 4t synthetic. I have never pushed my TW to the ends of the RPM range 80% maybe 85% briefly just to merge into traffic. I have NOT touched the carb though plug is still in it.

Tom

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah that is an anomaly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
uh ho to late for me... run mine 55 plus all the time, mine just sings and keeps going, so far 1800mi in 8 months with zero problems, 3000 total on the bike now, but mine is a 87, wonder if they are building them now with cheaper materials? I am now running mobile 4t in it to.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree ! Something is up, and without knowing what was done last to the engine\bike with regards to maintenance or mods, I think it is a mystery.(a very sad mystery for sure)

Sorry to hear of your trouble Grimm, I don't know if you want feedback on the possible cause of this engine failure, (if so) we will need to know what were the very last few things that were done to the bike before the last ride. If not I think we all can understand the frustration of having something happen that is just not supposed to happen.

Here are a couple of things I can think of:
If the wrong filter was used per that factory part #mixup situation a few years back it could have starved the top end.
((That situation was due to the two stroke engine and four stroke engine filters getting switched in the parts packaging at Yamaha. If you got a two stroke filter it was missing the holes to allow oil to pass to the top end of the TW200 engine. there are threads on this forum about this.))
It could be a freak major component failure, unlikely but possible.
I have been trying to blow my 2003 TW up for several years now and regularly ride with the throttle pinned at 70+ with the right gearing, tire pressure, proper chain adjustment, and with my mouth closed to increase speed and currently have 19,583 miles on the poor whipped beast. the engine is like any other engine though and will blow up if it looses oil to the top end ETC.

However this turns out, good luck and quick moto recovery to you!
Jimbo C.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts