TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
6,307 Posts
Yes - full of hormones

Moving swiftly on - time to start leaving those reviews, perhaps pointing out that the manufacturers compatibility list is slightly "over exaggerated" - the TW is unlikely to be the only victim here ....

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
478 Posts
They know me and I am tempted to call them and tell them it is a poor business decision not to make it right and that over the long run it will cost them way way more in sales.
They only need read this thread. Totally self-inflicted injury. Ouch.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Personalty i have a real hard time condemning Pro Cycle for this. They did not build this product, Kisan Electronics did. I would also bet the farm that Pro Cycle did not come up with the application list for this, Kisan Electronics did.

Bottom line, its not Pro Cycle's job as a reseller of a product to test it on a particular application. That is up to the manufacturer of the product.

I equate this to things i have experienced in the past with auto parts and i have seen it more times than i can count. Like when i bought a set of Moog ball joints from Napa for my old truck. They did not fit, not even close. Moog says that part number does fit my application yet it was not the correct fit for my truck. Its not Napa's fault that Moog supplied bad info, its Moog's. Its not up to Napa to make sure the part actually fits a 06 Silverado 1500 4wd, they have to trust what the manufacturer of the part tells them. This signal minder is the same type of thing.

edit: I also want to add that Pro Cycle did exactly the right thing in refunding the OP's money. That is all they can do. A lot of times electronic devices are non returnable since its not hard to damage one with a bad install but they stepped up and did the right thing. Anything beyond that is out of their control. Was the actual manufacturer even contacted to get any support or advice?
I couldn't agree more.
In addition, Pro Cycle can not be expected or required to guaranty the work of a 3rd party installer, especially one unknown to them. OP should look to his installer for relief there....they were working for him, not ProCycle.
I think we should think this through before we come down too hard on Pro Cycle. They actually went a "step beyond" in refunding the purchase price of the part...for all they know the 3rd party installer bungled the part. It was obviously a good-will gesture on their part.
I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them and have always been 100% satisfied.
Let's not get them "down" on the TW community/forum.

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
I am. I always want to rush in to help the underdog and those unjustly used. I'll be good though... 😏

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Personalty i have a real hard time condemning Pro Cycle for this. They did not build this product, Kisan Electronics did. I would also bet the farm that Pro Cycle did not come up with the application list for this, Kisan Electronics did.

Bottom line, its not Pro Cycle's job as a reseller of a product to test it on a particular application. That is up to the manufacturer of the product.

I equate this to things i have experienced in the past with auto parts and i have seen it more times than i can count. Like when i bought a set of Moog ball joints from Napa for my old truck. They did not fit, not even close. Moog says that part number does fit my application yet it was not the correct fit for my truck. Its not Napa's fault that Moog supplied bad info, its Moog's. Its not up to Napa to make sure the part actually fits a 06 Silverado 1500 4wd, they have to trust what the manufacturer of the part tells them. This signal minder is the same type of thing.

edit: I also want to add that Pro Cycle did exactly the right thing in refunding the OP's money. That is all they can do. A lot of times electronic devices are non returnable since its not hard to damage one with a bad install but they stepped up and did the right thing. Anything beyond that is out of their control. Was the actual manufacturer even contacted to get any support or advice?
Yes JB, there were many attempts to contact Qisan. They didn’t reply to me or my contractor Mobile West. I appreciate your opinion. P

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Westieterrier had a relationship with ProCycle. ProCycle has a relationship with someone, the manufacturer or some middleman.

ProCycle has an obligation to Westieterrier to supply a part that performs as advertised. Don't feel sorry for the retailer... theirs is the easiest part of the money trail.

I retired from retail.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
A man attempts to rape a woman; but he couldn't get an erection.
He was caught and charged with "assault with a 'dead' weapon".
But he got off (so to speak) because "the evidence wouldn't (still couldn't) stand up in court".

My view the court may take as an example:

1) I buy a Sharp brand microwave at Walmart. Walmart does not test (nor is required to test) every item they sell - every dress, sock, blender, bobby pin, microwave, and so on. If it doesn't work/is broken - Walmart does the good thing in refunding your money; instead of making you deal with the manufacturer Sharp.

2) I buy the same Sharp microwave at Walmart and the first time I use it - it explodes starting a fire that burns my house down. The court would say you need to bring your lawsuit against Sharp; not Walmart.

If the manufacturer can show that it can indeed work with TWs then it would be between you and the installation business.
It sucks regardless.
Wish you luck

·
Registered
232 Posts
Loghouse -
I have a retail background, too...GM & part owner of a Kawasaki & Polaris full-service dealership.
The retailer ProCycle (PC) has no responsibility in this case, in my opinion.

The purchaser made the decision to have a 3rd party, unknown (to PC), do the install.
Did PC agree to this beforehand? Apparently not, and that is not their decision to make, anyway.
How does anyone in the whole chain know the part was 'defective'?
How does anyone know the purchaser did not fudge up the part before taking it to 3rd party installer?
How does anyone know the 3rd party installer did not fudge up the install and/or part?
Do we really know that this part is incompatible with the TW electrical system? PC (apparently) claims successful installs...are they lying? How would we know?
PC did step up and go beyond their stated 'Return and Refund Policy' when they refunded the purchase price, apparently as a "good will gesture".
Return and Refund Policy | ProCycle.us
Please, let's not misconstrue this good will as admitting/accepting liability on PC's part. Should they also be reasonably expected to cover 2nd or 3rd party's (possible) errors in the hundreds of $$? Maybe the 2nd & 3rd parties made no errors? How would PC know?
What error(s) did PC actually commit in this...none that I can see?
Does Walmart, or your local Yamaha dealer "R&D" every after-market item they sell?
And maybe I'm wrong...wouldn't be the first time. But what am I missing, please tell me?!
I too, hate to see any of our TW200 brethren have a bad, expensive buying experience, but...?

As of now, Signal Minder is still listed on the PC site as available for TW200.
Apparently, PC is still standing behind this product...or just doesn't give a shit.
I suspect the former rather than the latter.
FWIW: Signal Minder has a huge presence on the retail/mail order Internet.

Personally, I think there is too much "shooting from the hip" going on here.
Dave

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Dave, I appreciate your input. I didn’t do anything to the part before handing it over to Mobile West, an electrical contractor with over 25 years of experience in Portland. They rewire entire motorcycles, cars, campers, and have done extensive work for me. Owner Peter Clover and tech Ashley Williams have a stellar reputation in the Portland area, and I trust them implicitly when they say the unit would never work on a TW.

i’ve asked PC for any kind of evidence that this unit has worked on a TW and they have not been forthcoming. Zero information provided.

During the install, they assured the technician that the part would work, so he continued making attempts and racking up time. But still, never providing any concrete demonstrations. The manufacture has never answered a single phone call or email.

my shop is out a significant amount of time even with the $480 charge to me. I’m out said monies. PC is out nothing but a few correspondences and shipping fees.

There remains still no proof that this part would ever work on a TW. I suspect they don’t care. All I asked for was a $200 credit or a 50%/25% discount on my next purchase of parts from them, just so they have a little skin in the game with this as well.

As for their responsibility as a retailer under Oregon law, i’ll have to see what the local judge has to say about that if I file. Sounds like you and Ron know more about that than me, At that point, though, maybe we’ll get to see their evidence of install. P

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Was there a missing comment to your post or just pointing out that procycle still lists it?
No missing comment, just a link to what all the fuss is about for anyone not knowing. But good point that they are STILL listing it as viable for the TW200. I'd have to say that at least now they know it won't work and yet willing to sell it still for the TW200 application.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No missing comment, just a link to what all the fuss is about for anyone not knowing. But good point that they are STILL listing it as viable for the TW200. I'd have to say that at least now they know it won't work and yet willing to sell it still for the TW200 application.
Gotcha, thanks for the reply. I just asked because I have, from time to time, intended to post a commentary to accompany a link and hit send before I was finished!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts