TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ride Aug. 8th and 9th. Saturday and Sunday. Arrive Friday and leave Sunday afternoon. I have a doctors appointment Monday which will prove convenient. Would be dry camping on BLM land, no facilities. We will ride to Crater Lake, Antelope Fire Lookout and Eagle Lake. The second day we can ride the notorious, "don't know till I go ride".

Directions----28 miles west of Susanville, Calif. on Highway 44. At Bogard Visitor Center turn perpendicular northeast on to Forest Rte 32 NO8 for 3/4 mile at this point you will run into a volcano. Drop anchor. California Volcano Insurance Fee maybe collected. Dirts a Flyen SanDue 馃檮馃榾

Registered
At ~7,600 ft the Antelope lookout should be a bit cooler.
New modern tower is quite bit different from the old one.
antelope look out.jpeg

Fire lookout operators are gradually becoming new and modern too...I've been used to meeting antiques like Gary Freeland who first started in 1942.
antelop-Allxb-400x300.jpg

Imagine Alicia Hinojosa may still be staffing the tower this August, she is in her twenties and has the knees for those stairs.:cool:. Actually I am more used to fire look outs in forested terrain thus necessitating tall towers and steep stairs.
Alicia has it pampered by comparrison.
Alicia Hinojosa.jpg

If you come you will likely be pampered by the Sue half of the DanSue duo too! The Dan half of the Duo likely still needs supervision around open flame though.

Registered
Now if Dan and Sue had met our group at Red Lake the other year rather than going to Blue Lake they could have ridden with us to my local Crater Lake which is a bit higher but admittedly harder to reach. But that's OK, I like the color blind.:)
crater lake..jpg

I had to tease Sue because there are more than a few Crater Lakes, Eagle Lakes & Antelope Mountain Fire Lookouts in California and the western US.

Registered
Now that is a well named lake!
After SanDue's Volcano Warning Group Ride maybe we could plan a Crater Lakes Tour for the future. All three Crater Lakes mentioned can be visited in about 450 miles. Seems as good a theme for a long distance ride as anything else.

Lassen Counties somewhat subdued terrain might be ideal for getting a few Nor-Cal folks safely together and out on the trail again.
I think Evan has a freshly painted tank for his Black Widow TW that is begging to be shown off.
Bananachunks is off on his Honda riding the Continental Divide Tour for 3 weeks but for the rest of you Bay Area types
fun with Dan and Sue is but a bit over 250 miles away.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious, is this a ride only or a ride and shoot
elime----- The "Ride and Shoot" is the last weekend in October. This ride is more of a "Ride and Find Your Way Back" kinda adventure. The Forest service office is only 3/4 mile away from our camp. There is a camp ground near by, not to mention the fire look out tower, Eagle Lake campground plus free range cattle. Not the best place to shoot at each other! However, it would be so cool if Rider21 were to participate and give an archery demonstration. It's my understanding he is very good/competitive/expert/Riderhood21. Dirts a Flyen SanDue 馃檮馃榾

Registered
At our age; I figured "archery" was some new type of surgery or orthopedic to fix plantar fasciitis.
And now that I've written it; "ortho pe dic" might have a totally different meaning too.
Maybe something "you might get" if you forget to "wear a helmet"; like Fred said he is going to do!

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I will start by saying there may have been some shenanigans that may have gotten out of control. The participants were Rider21, SanDue (defendants) and Fred (plaintiff). I'll get to that.

Saturday's ride went as planned, if the plan was to get lost. I was leading and I'm always surprised why I'm allowed to lead. They should know by now it's not my strong point. Fred and Rider21 were good sports about it, Sue not so much. I guess the first couple of times getting lost is fun/acceptable, but can get old fast. That's my life and welcome to it. It was dusty so we rode in pairs some distance apart to avoid it. I let Sue set the pace that she was comfortable with around twenty miles per hour. Evidently this part of the ride was a warm up because on our return she was riding at 40 miles per hour. That seems fast to me for a dirt road with chipmunks darting in front of you. It was a fun ride. In the evenings we placed our lawn furniture out in a clearing and did some star gazing. We saw Jupiter, Saturn, Venus and many falling stars. I was surprise at the quantity of satellites that are in orbit. Rider21 had the coolest app. on his cell phone that would locate the constellations etc. It had been a long time since I've seen the Milky Way in such detail. It makes you ponder. Truly amazing.

Rider21, true to his word, gave us an archery demonstration. Wow, this guy can shoot an arrow. His bow is very high tech! It is so complicated I'm not even going to try and describe it. He set up the target and shot bulls eye after bulls eye. He made it look so easy, so accurate. Then we started joking about shooting an apple from someones head. We thought Rider21 was honestly a better shot then Robin Hood and by golly we could prove it. We tied Fred to a tree. I'll admit it wasn't easy but the three of us did it. We compromised with him and allowed him to wear his motorcycle helmet. The Apple was placed upon Fred's head and Rider21 took aim and shot that Apple dead center. Good times! Dirts a Flyen SanDue馃檮馃榾

Registered
Rider 21 competes in the unlimited class. He gave us a very good introduction into the mental preparations and discipline in addition to rather sophisticated equipment entailed in serious archery competition.
Unlimited class means anything goes so here is his basic bow, and this is just the beginning of the gear:
Bow .jpg

Rider 21 makes it all come together nicely. Here is just a casual 3 arrow demonstration from 20 yards:
arrow 1 .jpg

...about this time Sue goes for the apples.

Why I ride with these folks is a mystery at times. Maybe because Sue gets such good close up photography. This is quite tranquil Silver Lake, a pleasant surprise we found Sunday morning photo.
sue silver lake.jpg

Close up photos like this of Crater Lake.:cool:
crater lake .jpg

Somehow Dan's leading gets us to this solar charging station atop Antelope Peak. Will have to remember this spot once the Green New Deal bans gasoline.
Antelope Lookout.jpg

Good times with good people made for another memorable weekend.

Registered
They said I kept flinching...
arrow2.jpeg

Something about Rider 21 needing a steady target...
arrow 3.jpg

So after Dan tied me up the accuracy really improved...
arrow 4.jpg

Registered
Totally staged of course, we had only innocent fun but lots of it.
Don't think there was anyone else camped within miles of us. So deserted that our stargazing was done from camp chairs set in the middle of our access road where maybe one car a day drove by.

Registered
Totally staged of course, we had only innocent fun but lots of it.
Don't think there was anyone else camped within miles of us. So deserted that our stargazing was done from camp chairs set in the middle of our access road where maybe one car a day drove by.
1597164725475.png

Registered
It was an interesting trip to see what folks do for recreation in Lassen County.
Did not see a single motorcycle, ATV, UTV or 4-wheel out in the hundred miles of our exploring lakes and a solitary mountain peak. Odd.
Did see a fellow in a hammock set up inside his van atop a mountain...inside the van so he was sheltered from the impressive 360 degree view. Odd.
Did see hundreds of people in overflowing campgrounds located seemingly a hundred yards or so from a large somewhat alkaline lake. We walked to where we could see the lake and noticed that no one seemed to be interacting with the water other than a couple of fishing boats. No wading, no boat ramps, no swimming, no wind surfing, no picnicking along the shore that I could detect. Most just seemed to be enjoying the campground experience in their own camp. Odd.
Did see a campground host in his motorized golf cart patrolling the "No-Motorized Vehicles" path. Guess as George Orwell wrote "some pigs are more equal than other pigs".

Sunday morning we did visit one of several small wooded lakes at the edge of the Caribou Wilderness. Quiet visitors at cabins and along shore helped preserve a pleasing solitude. I think we and the bug slurping trout were the loudest things for a bit. We rode as quietly as reasonable when we left. Very nice, a good final TW destination before we all headed home.

Registered
It was a very enjoyable trip. Very serene camp spot and good company. Thanks Dan and Sue for all the good food and Fred for kind of volunteering to be the apple prop. The conditions and location were great for stargazing. Next time time I'll bring a telescope.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts