TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon I headed down an unknown trail, which was a mixture of gravel and clay. Recent heavy rains had left puddles but nothing serious.

The trail suddenly turned and descended rapidly and I spied a 90° turn coming up. I peripherally noticed deep wet loose gravel so I applied the rear brakes lightly and The front brakes gently— or so I thought. Suddenly the front tire went sideways and down we went. I was barely going but a walking speed, so I wasn't hurt a bit when I bit the dirt.

After hitting the kill switch, I heaved up the bike. I felt like a dumbass.

I have the stock tire on the bike, and I was wondering if this was partially the result of the tires performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
This afternoon I headed down an unknown trail, which was a mixture of gravel and clay. Recent heavy rains had left puddles but nothing serious.

The trail suddenly turned and descended rapidly and I spied a 90° turn coming up. I peripherally noticed deep wet loose gravel so I applied the rear brakes lightly and The front brakes gently— or so I thought. Suddenly the front tire went sideways and down we went. I was barely going but a walking speed, so I wasn't hurt a bit when I bit the dirt.

After hitting the kill switch, I heaved up the bike. I felt like a dumbass.

I have the stock tire on the bike, and I was wondering if this was partially the result of the tires performance?

What was your tire pressure? Lower tire pressure in any tire including the stock front tire well help in that kind of situation. Of course, that is not to say the stock tire wasn't at fault, because it doesn't do that well off road, but the lower pressure will help. There are some people who have ridden for just a short bit and have had a spill and got hurt badly, but others have ridden with that tire it's entire lifespan and nothing ever happened so a lot of it is the rider, not the tire.

Just the same, and for peace of mind, your best bet would be to change that tire to a 241 or 244, or something better so that doesn't happen again.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Typical deathwing.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I find the Shinko 241 much more forgiving than the stock front tire on loose ground. It maintains better traction in situations where the stocker bounces around or might wash out. It has probably saved me from going down a time or two when I've been using less than perfect off-road riding technique.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Stock tire is OK unless your on gravel, mud, sand, dirt, grass, but other than that, it's OK.
You forgot roots, rock gardens, loom and leaves.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Stock tire is OK unless your on gravel, mud, sand, dirt, grass, but other than that, it's OK.
The issue "the deathwing" has is... that when it lets go, it let's go fast and trying to save it is usually fruitless and impossible as your on your side in an instant... Learn and remember its limits and you'll slide out less. Better tires generally allow you to recover before eating dirt whereas with the deathwing there is no "in between", your up... then your down. That's been my experience anyway. It's ok on dry asphalt though, I've pushed it harder then I should have and been ok. But like scotti says with grass, gravel, sand, etc... watch what youre doing and learn it's limits. That's your job as the rider, to learn not only your bikes limits, but your own too. I rode a deathwing for a long time, didn't want to toss a new tire, but now having experienced much better tires it's just not worth using that tire, the cost of a good one is next to nothing compared to what you could damage in just one fall.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The issue "the deathwing" has is... that when it lets go, it let's go fast and trying to save it is usually fruitless and impossible as your on your side in an instant... Learn and remember its limits and you'll slide out less. Better tires generally allow you to recover before eating dirt whereas with the deathwing there is no "in between", your up... then your down. That's been my experience anyway. It's ok on dry asphalt though, I've pushed it harder then I should have and been ok. But like scotti says with grass, gravel, sand, etc... watch what youre doing and learn it's limits. That's your job as the rider, to learn not only your bikes limits, but your own too. I rode a deathwing for a long time, didn't want to toss a new tire, but now having experienced much better tires it's just not worth using that tire, the cost of a good one is next to nothing compared to what you could damage in just one fall.
You described it exactly: " when it lets go, it lets go fast." That's how it happened to me. Even though I was barely going but a walking speed, the front tire slid out like it was on ice instead of wet, loose gravel. Scary.

As soon as someone can confirm the correct size I'm ordering one!

It is 4.0x18" right?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

I did the same thing last year. I didn't blame the tire. I know how to avoid it now... Less front brake :D

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
You described it exactly: " when it lets go, it lets go fast." That's how it happened to me. Even though I was barely going but a walking speed, the front tire slid out like it was on ice instead of wet, loose gravel. Scary.

It is 4.0x18" right?

That is correct. Get ordering! :D

Tom

Reactions: littletommy

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Rocky Mountain ATV is where I got my two..

Product DescriptionPart # PriceQuantitySubtotal
[HR][/HR]
These Items Have Shipped from our Winchester, KY warehouse.
[HR][/HR]
4.00x18 (64P) Tube Type Shinko SR241 Series Trials Tire
$52.99​
2​
$105.98
[HR][/HR]
Subtotal:$105.98
Shipping:Free!

It is 4.0x18" right?

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I rode a deathwing for a long time, didn't want to toss a new tire, but now having experienced much better tires it's just not worth using that tire, the cost of a good one is next to nothing compared to what you could damage in just one fall.
The same goes for a chain. Get an o or x-ring. It's just not worth wasting your time. Lugnut.. if your reading.. add an x-ring chain to your list. Get it now before you waste your new sprockets. Put a new x-ring on, adjust it once or twice and get thousands of miles out of it with next to no maintenance. Lube it with 100% sprayon brand food grade silicone before each ride, it won't pick up dirt and the chain and sprockets stay new fir what seems to be forever.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What I come to love about the 241 is it sticks like glue on steep angled dry hard pack. There's tons of times where the stock tire or 270 would cut loose on me in those conditions. The 241 has never once slipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
217 Posts
The same goes for a chain. Get an o or x-ring. It's just not worth wasting your time. Lugnut.. if your reading.. add an x-ring chain to your list. Get it now before you waste your new sprockets. Put a new x-ring on, adjust it once or twice and get thousands of miles out of it with next to no maintenance. Lube it with 100% sprayon brand food grade silicone before each ride, it won't pick up dirt and the chain and sprockets stay new fir what seems to be forever.

I am reading and writing this down. I need to go see how long my chain is before I order one. Where is the best place to get an x-ring chain?

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I am reading and writing this down. I need to go see how long my chain is before I order one. Where is the best place to get an x-ring chain?
Prices vary, watch eBay, Amazon, rockmoutain, etc. google is your friend :) someone help me out here whats the stock chain link count with 14/50 gears 142? I'm getting old lol

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
122 I think.
Prices vary, watch eBay, Amazon, rockmoutain, etc. google is your friend :) someone help me out here whats the stock chain link count with 14/50 gears 142? I'm getting old lol

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I know there's a two in there LOL. I think you are correct, maybe. My brain... is tired.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts