TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
12skimikin lake 2.JPG 13skimikin lake.JPG

i went for a 255 km ride yesterday and tried to stay off of the pavement, but because of snow loads and wash outs and floods, there wasn't much dirt to be had. lakes sure are purdy when they are full.......( if this is toooo negative for you purple, turn away before your eyes burn!!!):lips:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
We are experiencing 100 year flood levels in BC. Every time I listen to the news there are reports on flooding. We almost had to take a different route to visit my parents as Hwy 3 was closed for a few days due to flooding. The water had receded and we made it through. Where it flooded, I would never have thought it would. River crested and filled a farmer's field and just kept flowing.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
and it is all on it's way to the coast!! maybe some big problems coming. here we are flooding and the forest fires have all ready started. we'll be looking like California and Nevada soon.

we were camping at the lake in my picture 2 years ago and you could all most walk across it. if you can see the island in the picture, well it's not an island, you can normally drive out to the picnic table

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are experiencing 100 year flood levels in BC. Every time I listen to the news there are reports on flooding. We almost had to take a different route to visit my parents as Hwy 3 was closed for a few days due to flooding. The water had receded and we made it through. Where it flooded, I would never have thought it would. River crested and filled a farmer's field and just kept flowing.
where on highway 3 do your parents live?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
They are in Penticton, but we use Hwy 3 to get up there. The road was flooded at the west end at the the start of the first doubles lanes before Keremeous.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We sure see the secondary effects of all the interior flooding with the extra water volume and silt that the Fraser River dumps into the Strait of Georgia. There's typically a visible silt plume extending out from the delta but on a flight from Vancouver on Tuesday I could see it was much larger that usual and it extended all the way over to Gabriola Island (just off Vancouver Island). Lots of trees and logs and other debris mixed in too.

IMG_20180515_163311483.jpg

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are in Penticton, but we use Hwy 3 to get up there. The road was flooded at the west end at the the start of the first doubles lanes before Keremeous.
i lived in Princeton for 10 years and never saw the highway flood out that way. a dike broke in Princeton in 1995 and the river ran right through my basement. i was lucky my 5th wheel never floated away. i was working in Manning park that day and was amazed at how high the river was out there.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We sure see the secondary effects of all the interior flooding with the extra water volume and silt that the Fraser River dumps into the Strait of Georgia. There's typically a visible silt plume extending out from the delta but on a flight from Vancouver on Tuesday I could see it was much larger that usual and it extended all the way over to Gabriola Island (just off Vancouver Island). Lots of trees and logs and other debris mixed in too.

View attachment 176274
that'll be a shame if the waters in your area are dirtied. as a kid, we had a cabin on Gabriola, at False Narrows and the water was clean and clear, until Harmac would dump chemicals in the water

·
Registered
552 Posts
Our snow pack up high is slightly less than average and the snow line seems to be climbing a little faster than usual this spring. No flooding this year in Wallowa County. Here is a pic from this week down below Imnaha. You can see the river is at the high mark, but that's normal for spring run off.
IMG_20180516_172708_1526699558026.jpg
This is my first pic since the site started having pic posting issues. If you can't see it let me know and I will try and fix it. Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
I fly over Georgia Strait, interior BC and the Rockies every week. In fact, I can see Armstrong if I sit on the port side of the plane flying home. Saw massive glide cracks in the Cascade Range this Spring. Must've made for some great warm snow avalanches. The freshet from the Fraser is pretty incredible this year. The snow level was right around 3,800' in the Coastal Range last weekend when we climbed a small mountain in our front-country behind Powell River. Buddy of mine was snowmobiling in 11' of snow in a T-shirt when it was 81F Fernie the other day. Parked his truck in the snow, and when they got back to it the snow was gone and hundreds of feet up the logging road. Sure has been a crazy Spring. (All units converted to Imperial so as not to confuse our Southern neighbors.)

·
Registered
19,426 Posts
Thanks for the conversion. Everyone is being so nice this week, must be the Royal Wedding.
It snowed here the other day, should have rolled the bike out. Problem is I just can't ride snow like Yevgen here.:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts