TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you shouldn't use pressure washers on bikes, but can you use them on certain areas of the bike? Fact is, after being off road, the bike can get very dirty and there are lots of places that's hard to reach with a cloth.

How do you guys wash and clean your bikes, especially dual sport bikes? Any tips and tricks are appreciated.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Pressure washers can blow the rubber out of o-ring chains. Ditto for all the little rubber grommets, covers, isulation, wire connectors, etc. They can also be directed to reach into areas not intended to hold water (such as your airbox, which is a bit harder to accomplish with a garden hose..

That said they're a temptation/ worksaver after a long offroad trip. Use them gently and sparingly with with a fan pattern, if at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Best to remove heavy deposits by hand. Just grab hold and pull the slop off. Then a water hose with a nozzle and a soft brush.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You can wash bikes with pressure washers just don't use the straight jet. You just have to sometimes prep the bike before and dry and oil afterwards.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
After washing and drying use some spray silicone under the fenders and on the frame. It helps keep the muck from sticking and makes the engine look good. Just be sure to not to get it on your disc brake if you have one!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Do you recommend WD 40 or silicone spray to coat the bike (minus brake the brakes) after cleaning?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I use good ol' Johnson's paste floor wax ((Comes in a short round can like car wax) under my fenders.

Put it on, but don't wipe it off after it hazes. Mud and dirt won't stick to it, outlasts any spray 10-1, though a lot less joyful to apply than a spray.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Don't they have bikini bike washes where you live? Last bikini bike wash I saw featured girls in thongs and very thin, very wet, white t-shirts. What was supposed to be 6 hours of fundraising turned into 15 hours and $12,000 raised.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Long day. I bet they rubbed yer paint completely off...

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Not hardly. I printed the t-shirts, special order at the request of the sponsor, extra thin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts