TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to having a bike meant for off/on road got my new bike and finally had decent weather to go and get it dirty.
How do most of you wash your bike afterwards? And tips on these specific bikes?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I wait until she has cooled off....then hose her down.
Pay attention under the fenders...it likes to build up in there. As well as the back side of the muffler...where it will stick and rust away part of your exhaust.

Don't use a pressure-washer....regular garden hose will do.

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
Well, the washing style depends on how dirty your TW gets.

If it has a light coat of dirt/mud like this TW, we prefer TW-Brians method

I call it the "bird bath method". This causes a different kind of "pressure wash"...not falling pressure!

I'm sure somebody will come on here and tell you a more common-sense approach to washing the TW...but it ain't as much fun!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
all I would say is just be careful with any high pressure around the wheel/axle seals as it is possible to inject water into the wheel bearings... which will rust the bearings in short order

·
Registered
89 Posts
My go to method is to spray down with simple green then hose off with garden hose then wash with normal car wash soap then rinse. I then blow off the water with a leaf blower then a short ride up and down the street to dry it off dragging the brakes to heat them up then lube the chain and put her to bed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My go to method is to spray down with simple green then hose off with garden hose then wash with normal car wash soap then rinse. I then blow off the water with a leaf blower then a short ride up and down the street to dry it off dragging the brakes to heat them up then lube the chain and put her to bed.
+1 for the leaf blower!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I do mine carefully at the car wash about twice a year an always before putting away for the Winter

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I use Simple Green on the entire bike but try not to get too much around the wheel seals. A stiff brush works well to get the gunk of the chain. Also after drying the bike I use silicone spray on the undersides of the fenders and front frame down tube. This helps to keep the mud from sticking. Also if you have been riding in the dust clean your air filter!! The Dub's just have a small sheet of foam so it gets clogged pretty quickly. Spray with Simple Green,rinse and re oil it. Also if there's been a lot of water crossings give the swing arm zerks a shot of grease.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Another tip for mud/sludge and dirt... once the bike is clean and dry... hit the underside, skid plate, and inside fenders with PAM cooking spray, a friend taught me that... helped quite a bit for the post ride cleanup.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
If you have a high mount front fender and you know there will be sticky mud put several strips of duct tape under it. Make sure it over laps and extends over the top. Then when it starts to build up just peel it off. I've used this trick on long muddy Hare Scrambles and it's kept me moving. It also works on the frame down tube.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just gave mine a light wash for the first time. There doesn't seem to be much to watch out for or any hard places to hit.

I sprayed with water, then sprayed with a 1:10 solution of Simple Green everywhere but the seat and handlebars and instrument panel, then rinsed completely and gently wiped any area that still had light dirt/mud buildup on it with a cloth saturated in the Simple Green solution. I rinsed again, then patted the trim and gas tank dry with a towel. Lastly, I blew the bike once over with the leaf blower. Looks great!

·
Super Moderator
18,166 Posts
Just don't throw out the baby with the bathwater...

Reactions: grewen

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well, the washing style depends on how dirty your TW gets. View attachment 204722

If it has a light coat of dirt/mud like this TW, we prefer TW-Brians method
View attachment 204723

I call it the "bird bath method". This causes a different kind of "pressure wash"...not falling pressure!
View attachment 204724

I'm sure somebody will come on here and tell you a more common-sense approach to washing the TW...but it ain't as much fun!
:D Wow , at first I thought that had a belt drive conversion on it until I zoomed the picture in , look at the mud on that chain 😲

1 - 20 of 26 Posts