TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
501 - 520 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Live near Bellingham. And am looking forward to some trail rides but am an absolute newbie.

Allanb occasionally will claim me as an amigo when desperate enough. ;) He is also much too modest and has spent probably hundreds of hours sea kayaking in the boisterous waters of Deception Pass and has been known as one of the most skillful that play there. I’ve seen him do hand roll (no paddle to help) eskimo rolls while in the thick of the ‘fun stuff’ there. Great place to play—just need to know and be able to do a few things!

Edit: U guys done the Canyon Ridge Trail up here in Whatcom County? Take Canyon Creek Road, not far from Glacier on Mt. Baker Hwy (542), to get to the trailhead. It’s a 9.5 mile one way trail that spends a fair amount of time around and north of 5000’ elevation in the alpine zone. Open to dirt bikes. I’ve hiked the first several miles a couple of times. Hope to do it this summer maybe starting in late July.

·
Super Moderator
21,846 Posts
Live near Bellingham. And am looking forward to some trail rides but am an absolute newbie.

Allanb occasionally will claim me as an amigo when desperate enough. ;) He is also much too modest and has spent probably hundreds of hours sea kayaking in the boisterous waters of Deception Pass and has been known as one of the most skillful that play there. I’ve seen him do hand roll (no paddle to help) eskimo rolls while in the thick of the ‘fun stuff’ there. Great place to play—just need to know and be able to do a few things!
HE IS A GOOD BROTHER, but you're right, he's a little quiet!! ha ha ha ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Be fun to meet up and ck out capital forest. Good haul across all that big city I’am allergic to :). Or maybe I can work it in on trip north
Good Morning Allan, I just noticed the name of your TW, "rickoshay". Im probably really dating myself here, but I remember a western funny page character of that name from my time at the U of Montana. Am I on target?

·
Registered
2018 Tw, rickoshay, Shinko, tusk, on and on
495 Posts
I’ll claim it Tom. I remember a character by that name too. Will have to look up. More resembles my riding style. Bouncing from one side of trail, rocks etc to other!
Full disclosure, I just got tired of trying to spell the eponymous skid plate, and pecking on this phone. All while trying to keep up with the cool kids and list my new bike and accessories on the bottom of my texts :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Interesting…I did my last term of skool at U of Montana. My wife grew up in Missoula. Small world.
It is a small world. My Mom's side of the family lived around Havre and then moved to Shelton, Washington during the mid-1930's. I grew up in the Olympia area, when it was time to think about college, many of my friends went to the U of WA, I wanted to be different and figured Id go to Eastern Washington State College (as it was known back then). My Grandmother said; we still have relatives in western Montana, why dont you think about going to the U of MT in Missoula. Sooooo, off to UM I went and like many people, I had a GREAT TIME my first year at UM, then joined the Army, then went back and finished, only slightly wiser...:)

Missoula sure has changed after nearly 40 years. Miss the old Dornblaser stadium, but really like the new Washington Grizzly stadium, I have to take my boys to a Cat-Griz game one of these days. Was shocked to find out the Heidelhaus is now the Montana Club....somethings just should NOT change, but the food was great the last time we went through Missoula.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Alright, since I won't be able to make it to Moab, there's enough of us here in Washington and Oregon... let's start talking and get together for a ride sometime early this year.

Im gonna suggest Capitol Forest, doing one of the loops, staging at Rock Candy Mountain. This doesn't have to be the place but it gives us all something to look at.

I'm thinking May 1st or May 7th. One of the loops should take a solid couple hours.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Bump. Got lost in chatter

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Washington State TDubers

I think I'm going to start an annual West Coast Two-Wheeled-Walrus Ride

Or WCTWWR if you're into acronyms.

Come see an actual man-shaped walrus riding a TW... in nature!

As with my previous invites, I am expecting the normal group size of one to show up, but if someone else with a TW got some bad directions, got lost, and ended up at Rock Candy Mountains trail entrance, that would be kinda rad.

I'm taking a couple days off to ride:

May 5th - (9:30-10:00AM Arrival) Rock Candy Mountain - Meeting at the rock candy mountain trail head (see below)
Map Screenshot Terrestrial plant Font

From Olympia, WA head west on the 101, then take HWY 8 a couple miles, pass the BBQ joint on the left and the turn for the trailhead will be just up the road.

Water resources Map Natural landscape Watercourse Biome

May 6th - Tahuya (9:30-10:00AM Arrival)
Meeting at Elfendahl Staging area, I've never been here before, so I'll just be exploring
unless a Tahuya vet wants to show up and take me on some rad trails and totally hit some dirty gnar.

Map Font Astronomical object Circle Screenshot

From Belfair, take NE Belfair Tahuya RD west out of town, and then hook a right (northish) on NE Elfendahl Pass RD until you see a right for the staging area a few miles up.

Map Screenshot Mountain

May 7th - Let me know if anyone wants to ride this day, and we can plan on one of the above sites or somewhere

·
Registered
495 Posts
Wish I didn’t have such a allergic reaction to Seattle / Tacoma megalopolis traffic. But will put on the calendar and see what happens.
just rehabbed my machine from winter in Az. Actually found 2 cholla stickers in the seat for first time.
But ready to ride between the rain.
Do ya ever get over to the peninsula to ride? Only middle ground tween us till the snow melts.
Wood Gesture Grey Twig Art

Automotive lighting Car Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wood Gesture Grey Twig Art
Automotive lighting Car Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Wish I didn’t have such a allergic reaction to Seattle / Tacoma megalopolis traffic. But will put on the calendar and see what happens.
just rehabbed my machine from winter in Az. Actually found 2 cholla stickers in the seat for first time.
But ready to ride between the rain.
Do ya ever get over to the peninsula to ride? Only middle ground tween us till the snow melts. View attachment 225187
View attachment 225188 View attachment 225187 View attachment 225188
Theres lots of places in Washington I haven't ridden, the peninsula is the first place where I kinda learned how to ride, that's where Rock Candy Mountain is, in the Capitol forest, it's just further south than a lot of the really cool Capitol forest trails.

Unless you mean another peninsula (other than the Olympic) in which case I'll feel dumb lol.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ah. Yah, I was thinking of Olympic peninsula as in hood canal, squim, pt Townsend etc. a buddy and I were thinking of riding over by pt angeles on wed. But Aw, the benefit of being retired

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Washington State TDubers

As with my previous invites, I am expecting the normal group size of one to show up, but if someone else with a TW got some bad directions, got lost, and ended up at Rock Candy Mountains trail entrance, that would be kinda rad.

May 5th - (9:30-10:00AM Arrival) Rock Candy Mountain - Meeting at the rock candy mountain trail head (see below)

Map Screenshot Terrestrial plant Font

From Olympia, WA head west on the 101, then take HWY 8 a couple miles, pass the BBQ joint on the left and the turn for the trailhead will be just up the road.

Water resources Map Natural landscape Watercourse Biome

Meeting at Elfendahl Staging area, I've never been here before, so I'll just be exploring
unless a Tahuya vet wants to show up and take me on some rad trails and totally hit some dirty gnar.

Map Font Astronomical object Circle Screenshot

From Belfair, take NE Belfair Tahuya RD west out of town, and then hook a right (northish) on NE Elfendahl Pass RD until you see a right for the staging area a few miles up.

Map Screenshot Mountain

May 7th - Let me know if anyone wants to ride this day, and we can plan on one of the above sites or somewhere

·
Registered
301 Posts
Washington State TDubers

View attachment 225193

View attachment 225192

View attachment 225195

View attachment 225196

Last time we did a TW ride there the trails were so wet you could have run jet skis on them. Anyway I might be interested and will check with SIL also.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha TW200
47 Posts

Edit: U guys done the Canyon Ridge Trail up here in Whatcom County? Take Canyon Creek Road, not far from Glacier on Mt. Baker Hwy (542), to get to the trailhead. It’s a 9.5 mile one way trail that spends a fair amount of time around and north of 5000’ elevation in the alpine zone. Open to dirt bikes. I’ve hiked the first several miles a couple of times. Hope to do it this summer maybe starting in late July.
That sounds awesome. might have to check that one out this summer. I know a spot just after glacier can't remember the road but it goes to the "Heliotrope ridge" trail head. if you keep going up the forest road there is some sweet logging roads and a few spots where the road turns into a trail. There is also a sweet cabin up there with a killer view of Mt. Baker. no signs that say no motorized vehicles so I just go for it. not sure how far the trail goes yet though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Was that in Tahuya? I hear the trails can become forbidden soup with just a little bit of rain.
At that time the trails had berms on each side that held water so you rode in about 6 inches of muddy water, with no way of knowing what was underneath. We had a good time though. SIL is interested in tagging along. He is a noob to trail riding so we will see.

501 - 520 of 530 Posts