TW200 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Dette, would would you think of having your daughter fly out here to visit you ?????????

Mike

I just had her out for Christmas. I promised a year ago that I would fly out for her birthday this year and meet all her friends. I lived in OK for 32 years so I have a lot of friends I plan on catching up with while there also. I will definitely try and meet up with other WA T-dubbers another time :)

Claudette

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Licensing wheeled all-terrain vehicles

Metal tags for ATVs

A new law changed how 4-wheeled and utility-type ATVs are licensed. All wheeled all-terrain vehicle (WATVs) that meet the definition below must display a metal tag.
Visit a vehicle licensing office to get a WATV permit issued. You won’t get the metal tag at that time. It will be mailed to you from our headquarters in Olympia. Depending upon the demand, metal tags may be mailed within 2 weeks.
As a WATV owner you’re required to:

• Affix the metal tag to the rear of the WATV.
  • Keep the ORV decal on the WATV for law enforcement purposes.
  • Sign the registration and carry it when operating the WATV.

Definition of wheeled all-terrain vehicles that need a metal tag

These are considered wheeled all-terrain vehicles, and must have a metal tag:

• A motorized, non-highway vehicle with handle bars:
    • That is 50 inches or less in width.
    • Have a seat height of at least 20 inches.
    • Weighs less than 1,500 pounds.
    • Has 4 tires with diameters of 30 inches or less.
  • or
  • A utility-type vehicle designed for, and capable of, travel over designated roads that:
    • Has 4 or more low-pressure tires of 20 psi or less.
    • Is less than 74 inches wide.
    • Weighs less than 2,000 pounds.
    • Has a wheelbase of 110 inches or less.
    • Meets 1 or more of the following:
      • Is at least 50 inches wide.
      • Weighs at least 900 pounds.
      • Has a wheelbase of over 61 inches.
If your WATV is modified for on-road use, you may get a tab to display on the on-road portion of the metal tag. This allows you to ride your WATV on certain roads. Please visit the city or county website where you want to operate your WATV to make sure on-road use is allowed.
How to modify your wheeled all-terrain vehicle for on-road use

1. Make sure the vehicle has the following equipment installed as required by RCW 46.09.457*:
  2. Have a Washington licensed WATV repair shop or dealer inspect the vehicle. They’ll complete Part 1 of the Wheeled All-Terrain Vehicle Road Use Declaration form and sign it.
  3. Take the following to a vehicle licensing office:
    • The Wheeled All-Terrain Vehicle Road Use Declaration form.
    • A copy of the receipt showing you paid for the inspection – attached to form.
    • The vehicle’s title.
      • If your bank has the title, contact them to get it and the road use declaration submitted.
*Note: All equipment must meet the requirements within Chapter 46.09 RCW.
Metal tag

We’ll issue a temporary permit and mail a metal tag to you:

• The permit is printed on security paper and must be weatherproofed before using.
  • When you receive your tag, affix it to the rear of the WATV.
  • Keep the ORV decal on the WATV for law enforcement purposes.
  • Sign the registration and carry it when operating the WATV.
If you’ve completed all the steps to modify your WATV for on-road use:

• We’ll add “modified for on-road use” to the vehicle registration.
  • To ride on allowable roads, you’ll need a metal tag with a current tab. The law requires you to pay both on- and off-road fees and meet the requirements for on-road use.
Frequently asked questions

How can I find out if a WATV dealer or repair shop is licensed?
Ask for their Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number and Search business and professional licenses online. Repair shops will have a business license; dealers will have both a professional and a business license. The status should be open and active.

How much will the safety inspection cost?
The dealer or repair shop can’t charge more than $50 per safety inspection. Attach a copy of the receipt to your Wheeled All-Terrain Vehicle Road Use Declaration form.

What if I decide to remove the equipment that’s installed?
After you’ve removed the equipment, you must submit the title to a vehicle licensing office and remove the on-road tab from the metal tag. We’ll issue a new title for the vehicle with the comment “not eligible for road use.”

Do I need a driver license to operate a WATV on a public roadway?
Yes. It must be valid and you must comply with all:

• Applicable Rules of the road, except that wheeled all-terrain vehicles may not be operated side-by-side in a single lane of traffic.
  • and
  • Laws for motorcycle drivers under RCW 46.37.530.
Do I need a motorcycle endorsement?
No.

Related laws

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
FYI Washington area riders- we are getting together for a ride in Capitol Forest near Olympia this Saturday, June 27th at 9am. I see we have some new WA riders on the forum that may not have seen this earlier. All are welcome. There is something for everyone here, from easy gravel roads to challenging trails. Quads are ok too. We're planning to meet in the Rock Candy parking area, west of Olympia. 10.9 miles west of I-5 (exit 104 towards Aberdeen) on Hwy 8, turn south onto Rock Candy mtn rd. A parking lot is just up the road, and it has room for trailers and has pit toilets available. This is a Washington state forest, so it requires the Discover Pass. It figures on being warm, but the forest offers a lot of shade. Bring a lunch and fluids. Hope to see you for a fun day of riding!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I suggest Tahuya, as it's one of the few areas with trails that is open year round. Trails in Capitol don't open until May 1st. Plus, Tahuya is just a great, fun place. We'll see if we can get a weather window. March is fast approaching!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Sounds great to me Larry. Hope some others will join in for a day up there. I really enjoyed the last outing, been way too long. tahuya works for me, would like to wring out the Ace a bit too while there.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Would be nice to do a run in Feb before Moab to get the kinks worked out. Anyone interested? A local western wa one I would be up for. Weather permitting of course.
I think all but one of my Feb. weekends are taken and yesterday, I told my niece I was available for baby sitting on that one free weekend if she needs me. I want to keep posted on the date you all choose just in case Mexico closes their borders or my niece doesn't need me.....lol.

I need to think about ordering that new battery soon so when I am available to ride I will actually have a bike ready to ride :D

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I need to think about ordering that new battery soon so when I am available to ride I will actually have a bike ready to ride :D
Is your battery bad, Dette? Your bike is pretty new, isn't it?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Is your battery bad, Dette? Your bike is pretty new, isn't it?
It's a 2013; TW200 mileage Jan. 2016.jpg was getting sketchy last season. I topped the water levels up and that helped a bit but it struggled to start often, to the point I was afraid to even ride it to work.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Nice! Getting some miles racked up I see. Well, it sounds like you are due for that battery. You want that kitten purring for springtime. :)

Reactions: dette

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ok Mike, if you want us to get with it, I will call it on the 13th. Does that work for those that can make it, chime in here. If not I think we are getting close to putting things together for the trip to Moab. Any takers for the 13th to do Tahuya?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
13th works for me. Really they all do. I'm more concerned with the weather than the date. It won't be fun if it's a sloppy mess.

41 - 60 of 405 Posts