TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
That "no role model" is bull crap. The notion of "no role model" is political poppycock. If there really was "no role model" where did the sperm from which he was conceived come from? He has a role model, passed out in the weeds in the empty lot by the pool hall. Most of these bastard children actually do have role models, and the boys will probably grow up to be just like their fathers, which is passed out in the weeds in the empty lot by the pool hall. Monkey see, monkey do is pretty much universal across ethnic dividing lines.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
That's awful. I could just barely even make it through it.

Roles models? Are you serious, or was that a bit of a joke? If you were serious then I would suggest that type of thinking is just part of the problem. Role models exist in abundance in this Country, even to this day. There is no government program for role models. They don't assign you role models based upon the government's perception of your need, or even based on actual demonstrated need.

It is the basic obligation and duty of every person, for themselves and to themselves, to seek out and find role models. You can role model someone you have never even met. You can role model a man or woman long dead. But, you have to want and desire those positive traits. Even more importantly you have to be able to identify those admirable traits. And that being said, you now have the problem.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Are we all forgetting that all role models are not necessarily good role models? If you want to be a worthless thug you usually hitch your wagon to that of another worthless thug. Lots of successful individuals grew up in homes where worthless role models were the norm. Bringing yourself out of the gutter in and of itself is the first step but you get to decide. Accepting the roll of Victim is the teaching of today in many less fortunate family structures and it is coming around to haunt most inner city areas both in this and many other countries. Being a victim is easy while being a survivor takes a bit of work!

GaryL

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I guess it may be a mater of semantics. I think of role models in the positive. I think of the others as negative influences.

Regardless, unless you can get over step one, being taught or teaching yourself to spot and admire positive traits, you are cast to the winds of chance.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
That's awful. I could just barely even make it through it.

Roles models? Are you serious, or was that a bit of a joke? If you were serious then I would suggest that type of thinking is just part of the problem. Role models exist in abundance in this Country, even to this day. There is no government program for role models. They don't assign you role models based upon the government's perception of your need, or even based on actual demonstrated need.

It is the basic obligation and duty of every person, for themselves and to themselves, to seek out and find role models. You can role model someone you have never even met. You can role model a man or woman long dead. But, you have to want and desire those positive traits. Even more importantly you have to be able to identify those admirable traits. And that being said, you now have the problem.
Hate to say it, but there is no clean end on the turd no matter the semantics. Semantics makes no difference, unless one chooses to be further buffaloed by bull crap. Look where that has gotten us. The root of the problem is people make different choices when nobody is looking than they do when somebody is looking. Nobody is born a winner or a looser, we are all born choosers. No exceptions.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The video is compelling and says a lot about human nature... I would say "he who is without sin cast the first stone"...

Q - I agree we are born choosers, I am just not sure if all of us get enough critical thinking experience. Should we be held to account for the things which we don't know that we don't know?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
clearly stated by a lawyer, and I understand in the rule of law that ignorance is no excuse. And if true in a philosophical sense I think we are all accountable to an almost unimaginable list of breaches.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
One might mitigate this lads culpability or level of punishment by exploring his training on the company harassment policy. I would suggest he grieve his dismissal, show that he was never fully oriented to the company policies and work towards being reinstated with a lesser discipline. Certainly, one should have known and education/training is important.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Actually has not a thing to do with that. I would have said the same thing back when I had my construction company. Think John Galt.
I don't disagree... I just think there is an opportunity for insight and compassion (perhaps a less than desirable trait in Ann Rand's world view). Institutionalized populations are easy to demonize from a privileged world view. Empowered individuals generally recognize their ability to choose, disempowered individuals rarely recognize that they have a choice.

Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ann Rand and Atlas Shrugged are both here in the house. As are many other works on social development.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I understand, but I could easily argue that misguided compassion was a good part of why that young man in the original video is the way he is.
I would hold your statement to be true. That is the point where institutionalization bites. I would suggest that the misguided compassion results from a collective feeling of guilt within the society that has been the oppressor. I think what we lose in these web discussions are the nuances of dialogue.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
By the way Top, I appreciated this post. In fact I'd "like" it. Except I don't.
I kinda put this out there yesterday. Just in case someone out there was on the fence to go vote or not. I like paying taxes I just hate seeing my taxes wasted. If we don't fix this gross theft in America the only thing that is going to fix it is <alt> <shift> <del>. Reboot.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts