TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like many of you, I've known about the general principles of screw extractors for years. I've never had much luck with them. This guy takes it to a whole 'nother level! As always, the devil is in the details....I would never have thought of using a big mallet so gently to get the extractor to bite!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have a set of the center guide drill bit holders used in woodworking for drilling hinge plates so the hole is dead center. Excellent idea! What I need to get is a good set of left hand drill bits to go with my easy out extractors. I did just buy a nice set of metric taps and dies from Harbor Freight because I keep finding threads that need cleaning and re cutting. Probably not the highest quality taps and dies so I have to use them extremely carefully so I don't break one off in a threaded hole. Getting a broken tap made of hardened steel or titanium out would probably be near impossible.

Nice tutorial and thanks Rocky

GaryL

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
+1 on care using hardened, but brittle, taps due to downside if one snaps.
Our generation was perhaps the last to offer metal and auto shops in high school where we were taught basic stuff like packing wheel bearings, re-winding commutators, sand mold casting and other skills to understand and sucessfully manipulate the world around us. Guess they killed off all those curriculums when Home Economy was deemed sexist for girls. Too bad. I miss wood shop...ours burned down reducing my Parson's table project to ashes.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
+1 on care using hardened, but brittle, taps due to downside if one snaps.
Our generation was perhaps the last to offer metal and auto shops in high school where we were taught basic stuff like packing wheel bearings, re-winding commutators, sand mold casting and other skills to understand and sucessfully manipulate the world around us. Guess they killed off all those curriculums when Home Economy was deemed sexist for girls. Too bad. I miss wood shop...ours burned down reducing my Parson's table project to ashes.
I resemble that remark Fred. I took both wood and metal shop in HS and I also aced Home Economics and Cooking class. I can still fix most of my stuff and my wife loves my cooking. I do pretty much suck at math and electricity but that's what pals are for. As for these damned computers, I can't have guns around when the screen freezes but Dryden Tom is usually just a phone call away and saves me both ammo and computers.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not really all that funny RBM. I hate when on the computer and some stupid program asks 16 questions, 11 of which I have no idea what the hell they are asking or how to answer. Dryden Tom steered me toward a Chrome book and it is like a computer for dummies and so much easier than the windows based microsoft crap.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Not really all that funny RBM. I hate when on the computer and some stupid program asks 16 questions, 11 of which I have no idea what the hell they are asking or how to answer. Dryden Tom steered me toward a Chrome book and it is like a computer for dummies and so much easier than the windows based microsoft crap.

GaryL
I hear ya, they can be a pita... It just struck me as a funny statement, i pictured you throwing a nlaptop out the back door and blasting it, made me laugh :).

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I hear ya, they can be a pita... It just struck me as a funny statement, i pictured you throwing a nlaptop out the back door and blasting it, made me laugh :).
You should have been here! We had 2 desk top windows based computers here that I did in fact blast with a 12 gauge and 00 buckshot. First I removed the HD from each and hammered them into smitherine. My internet comes from satellite and I have a 10 GB data cap with it. I would boot up the windows computer and the very first thing it did was install updates that would eat up almost all of my monthly data allotment in a mater of minutes. I Phones are just as bad but we take them to places where they have free WiFi or unlimited data services to do the constant updates on them.

GaryL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts