1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I see the line he wanted. He just had a bike that he had to braap his way through with, and one that could leap out of his hands. I'd try it with the tractor-like goatiness of the dub.

·
Registered
19,578 Posts
Rick Hogge says: " I wasn't going quick enough" :eek:
Funny thing is as I was watching the whole 9 minute video and thought from the start that his tall gearing was inappropriate, if not dangerous for that trail. I like to go slow enough to maintain control.
Our TWs, especially with modified lower than stock gearing, could manage those nasty section slow enough that the minimum speed is not so great as to rebound a bike and rider off a cliff.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Delete

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've ridden a converted MX bike in stuff like that and sent mine over the edge. Idaho in the sawtooths. Hit a root and the rear wheel kicked to the side wrong direction. Slid me off the saddle and my throttle hand near pegged. Luckily a bush caught my bike before it went into the water and I was able to grab a rock before going all the way to the bottom. The real problem then was that no one actually saw me, we were spaced out so each could handle the terrain without bunching up. As rider after rider rode past, I shouted without being heard. I finally realized I'd need to get up there before the last rider went through and get them to see me. Lucky for me, I did. Took a lot of rope and hands, but got my bike back up to the trail.
I no longer ride that bike. Still have it, need to sell it. The TW200 works well as I can easily step off it, being a short bike. A big reason I do not carry cargo on my small rack off road. I carry a small backpack instead. My rescue gear stays with me!!
Thanks for the video!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I've ridden a converted MX bike in stuff like that and sent mine over the edge. Idaho in the sawtooths. Hit a root and the rear wheel kicked to the side wrong direction. Slid me off the saddle and my throttle hand near pegged. Luckily a bush caught my bike before it went into the water and I was able to grab a rock before going all the way to the bottom. The real problem then was that no one actually saw me, we were spaced out so each could handle the terrain without bunching up. As rider after rider rode past, I shouted without being heard. I finally realized I'd need to get up there before the last rider went through and get them to see me. Lucky for me, I did. Took a lot of rope and hands, but got my bike back up to the trail.
I no longer ride that bike. Still have it, need to sell it. The TW200 works well as I can easily step off it, being a short bike. A big reason I do not carry cargo on my small rack off road. I carry a small backpack instead. My rescue gear stays with me!!
Thanks for the video!
i have a whistle on my key... but that assumes i stay w/ the bike.

·
Registered
19,578 Posts
I usually keep a whistle on a lanyard attached to chest of my riding jacket. That way it can wrap around my neck and choke me silly.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I usually keep a whistle on a lanyard attached to chest of my riding jacket. That way it can wrap around my neck and choke me silly.
fred,
from knowing you... i'm wondering if it hasn't already wrapped a time or two in the past?

;)

·
Registered
19,578 Posts
Joe, we gotta go riding again. Someplace away from cliffs

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts