TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure we are all sending well wishes and prayers to those affected by this epic storm. In the coming weeks, months and years be very cautious with things you might buy from auction sites, CL and even from unscrupulous vehicle dealers.

Some bikes such as the TW can take a deep water dunking and be brought back from the depths with a lot of attention. Hard parts are usually OK after being drowned but electrical parts are often useless. Vehicles, Trucks, Cars and sophisticated MCs are a completely different story. There will be millions of vehicles that were completely submerged and all should have salvage titles if they have titles at all.

I am not saying we should not buy things that have been dunked but just be aware that many sellers will not be honest and anything you do buy will need to be washed, rinsed in fresh water and properly dried. This water is a mix of rain and salt water so I would avoid anything electrical that I can't physically disassemble and thoroughly clean. Just be very careful in the coming months and expect to see a lot of items offered for sale that might have been in these flood zones.

​​​​​​​GaryL

·
Registered
1 Posts
GaryL makes a good point. Often these vehicles make there way to other market areas where buyers are not thinking about water damage. After Katrina we saw a lot in the DFW area. Water in the transmission, electrical, etc. Always practice due diligence when buying used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D
GaryL makes a good point. Often these vehicles make there way to other market areas where buyers are not thinking about water damage. After Katrina we saw a lot in the DFW area. Water in the transmission, electrical, etc. Always practice due diligence when buying used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no real issue if you are buying a submerged TW parts bike. You just have to jump right on the parts you want from it and get them cleaned and dried out. Electrical parts are certainly suspect but most of the rest can be rescued as long as you don't allow it to sit for long. All of those trucks we see plowing through 3-4 feet of water are in for a major and rather sad surprise and when ever I see a vehicle or TW driving on a sandy and salty beach it just makes me cringe. There is not a single used car or truck I would touch if it comes from a flood zone in recent years.

When I retired we went on vacation to Florida. While there and staying at a friends nice home a woman 2 homes up passed away. Her family was there cleaning out the house and getting it ready for sale. We made an offer right then and there and they accepted it. 2 months later I had to return to Florida to do the final closing on buying the home. I insisted on doing a final inspection before handing over my money and the lawyer was very reluctant to allow me to inspect. I was not buying the house until I was able to see what shape they left it in after we made our initial offer. When I did get in to inspect it I found that the last person to leave the house after all the furniture was out had flushed the toilet, clogged it up and it ran over for 5 full days filling the entire home with 4 inches of water. Every wall had black mold growing up the dry wall and the carpets had fungus growing on them. They and their lawyer had every intention of taking my money, selling me the house without ever telling me of this serious issue. Once I saw the damage I broke the contract and came back home. 2 years later we again went to our friends house on vacation and the home we tried to buy was totally gone with just a cement pad left that was in the beginning of a new home being built. The new owner told me that the house was sold as is for half of what we were buying it for and that buyer tried to clean out the mold but let the bank foreclose on it because there was no fixing it. The bank tore it down and sold the lot with the cement pad to this new owner. People are dishonest and lawyers are no different. Buying a pig in a poke is always a very bad idea unless you are getting it for less than nothing.

GaryL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts