TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody share experiences with fording water? Creek crossing ect. Also I have seen air box mods. Can anybody share how the mods have affected the water depth fording ability?

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good mods, in the old thread. Subscribed, and good luck to the OP!

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read it all. The vent also made sense. I had a king quad many years ago. I was riding at little Sahara and it died. Every time I would open the gas cap. It started for a moment then died. I finally found a kink in the vent hose! LOL anyway, I will pay attention to the area under the seat as I install my new rack. I will look at dialectic grease to prevent the water with minerals from shorting anything. I will also look at the plug wire in the future as well.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Georgia

Wyoming

·
Registered
21,885 Posts
The CV carb works on subtle pressure differentials that get adversely affected if tanks and carb vents do not constantly see ambient atmospheric pressure. This is why submerging the carb's vent will often have the bike stall within a few seconds, only to restart shortly afterwards once vent is out of the water. These pressure concerns are also why the air filter needs to not be wet, over oiled nor clogged by dirt.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks for that explanation Fred. I knew about the stalling, mine died the first time I splashed through a 3" puddle, but was fixed right up after I did the vent mod. Until you said that, I still couldn't really get my head around how plugging a fent would kill it almost immediately.

·
Registered
21,885 Posts
I know, the water crossing stalling seems illogical at times.
Some folks think the vent is sucking water into the carb and that that is what causes the flame-outs but I don't think so. I could well be wrong but it seems like the lines only start to draw a bit of vacuum before competing with the negative pressure at the manifold side of the carb that is responsible for pulling fuel through the jets and various circuitry and ultimately into the combustion chamber. No suck? Then no fuel. And that sucks.;)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Just wheelie across the water and no vent mods necessary!;)

Actually did that once, across Sespe Creek, but it was a 175cc 2 stroke.
Would have been a serious problem if I lost it, as I was a long ways from home

·
Registered
1,940 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Mad Mike's tips for water crossings:

1. Aim the TW straight at the water obstacle!
2. Rev the TW engine just enough to intimidate your water obstacle!
3. Launch your motorcycle fearlessly into the water obstacle!
4. Just keep going like hell unto you either reach the other side successfully, or your bike stalls in the water…
5. It doesn't matter whether you reach the other side or stalled in the middle, just keep a big smile on your face and exclaim things to your riding companions like "now that was fun!" Or "I sure do love a refreshing dip in the cool stream!"
6. If you're really lucky, one of your riding companions might be in a close enough proximity that you may actually splash them with water. This is the ultimate coup de grace! And if at all possible should be your ultimate goal…:cussing:

One more thing, always have extra dry socks! Or at least a good friend who will load you a pair (thanks again Fred :icon_thumright:) :cool: m.

·
Super Moderator
19,878 Posts
Great U-Turn in the middle of the crossing Fred!! :D
mhomadness is the second bike to "launch fearlessly" into the first water crossing, yet for some reason he stops to wash his socks.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
All I know is that water puts a lot more pressure on the bike. I stalled mine several times entering water until I figured that out. When your front tire enters the water start twisting the throttle. I have the carb vent mod so that wasn't the issue. The last time I rode through a flood I had water hitting the face of my helmet. I had to slow down. That was fun.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Great U-Turn in the middle of the crossing Fred!! :D

Fred------ your such a show off. Ha. We were there during this water crossing. When riding up to a water crossing and everyone is standing around the creek, you know someone got wet. This is where you will find Mhomadness riding the puddle until he stalls out. Great fun I suppose, go figure. Seems he has to find the deepest spot. The photo of Rhodtrip dumping water out of his boot will be a classic. What is it about these water crossings? Fred, as you can plainly observe at the end of this video clip, can be seen riding 360 degrees around in the water and then exits the puddle. We have heard of Fred's 360' waterloop demonstration, but till now never witnessed it. You won't catch me in the water. I like my women dry and my feet wet. Maybe I got that backwards. I don't know. Dirts a Flyen SanDue :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
21,885 Posts
I wasn't showing off. My rear tire slipped on a submerged corrugated culvert thus spinning me around. It was just luck that I could ride the slide and not go swimming. Dan, you or your supposedly responsible wife should have warned me about those underwater hazards to navigation.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Fred------ your such a show off. Ha. We were there during this water crossing. When riding up to a water crossing and everyone is standing around the creek, you know someone got wet. This is where you will find Mhomadness riding the puddle until he stalls out. Great fun I suppose, go figure. Seems he has to find the deepest spot. The photo of Rhodtrip dumping water out of his boot will be a classic. What is it about these water crossings? Fred, as you can plainly observe at the end of this video clip, can be seen riding 360 degrees around in the water and then exits the puddle. We have heard of Fred's 360' waterloop demonstration, but till now never witnessed it. You won't catch me in the water. I like my women dry and my feet wet. Maybe I got that backwards. I don't know. Dirts a Flyen SanDue :rolleyes::D
Dan's correct, I'm always deep in the creek, don't matter up the creek ner down it... :D And never a paddle at hand! :eek::rolleyes::cool: m.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, good eye....that's exactly it. We rode from Big Piney down to Kemmerer that day... I love that area and recall it often...beautiful and wild.
Here is a direct link to that days ride:

PS. Welcome to the forum!
I also "love and recall" that area often... I grew up in Kemmerer, so those are some of my old stomping grounds. In fact it was at that exact crossing that I had my first and only mountain lion spotting, while mountain biking. Somewhat unnerving., but extremely memorable! I have always avoided that crossing on bikes, too many times it was too deep. (over the fenders of my jeep once)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts