TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Water fording ability

9K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  old w/?? 
#1 ·
Can anybody share experiences with fording water? Creek crossing ect. Also I have seen air box mods. Can anybody share how the mods have affected the water depth fording ability?

#2 ·
#4 ·
I read it all. The vent also made sense. I had a king quad many years ago. I was riding at little Sahara and it died. Every time I would open the gas cap. It started for a moment then died. I finally found a kink in the vent hose! LOL anyway, I will pay attention to the area under the seat as I install my new rack. I will look at dialectic grease to prevent the water with minerals from shorting anything. I will also look at the plug wire in the future as well.

#5 ·
Georgia

Wyoming

#6 ·
The CV carb works on subtle pressure differentials that get adversely affected if tanks and carb vents do not constantly see ambient atmospheric pressure. This is why submerging the carb's vent will often have the bike stall within a few seconds, only to restart shortly afterwards once vent is out of the water. These pressure concerns are also why the air filter needs to not be wet, over oiled nor clogged by dirt.

#8 · (Edited)
I know, the water crossing stalling seems illogical at times.
Some folks think the vent is sucking water into the carb and that that is what causes the flame-outs but I don't think so. I could well be wrong but it seems like the lines only start to draw a bit of vacuum before competing with the negative pressure at the manifold side of the carb that is responsible for pulling fuel through the jets and various circuitry and ultimately into the combustion chamber. No suck? Then no fuel. And that sucks.;)

#9 ·
Just wheelie across the water and no vent mods necessary!;)

Actually did that once, across Sespe Creek, but it was a 175cc 2 stroke.
Would have been a serious problem if I lost it, as I was a long ways from home

#11 ·
#13 ·
Mad Mike's tips for water crossings:

1. Aim the TW straight at the water obstacle!
2. Rev the TW engine just enough to intimidate your water obstacle!
3. Launch your motorcycle fearlessly into the water obstacle!
4. Just keep going like hell unto you either reach the other side successfully, or your bike stalls in the water…
5. It doesn't matter whether you reach the other side or stalled in the middle, just keep a big smile on your face and exclaim things to your riding companions like "now that was fun!" Or "I sure do love a refreshing dip in the cool stream!"
6. If you're really lucky, one of your riding companions might be in a close enough proximity that you may actually splash them with water. This is the ultimate coup de grace! And if at all possible should be your ultimate goal…:cussing:

One more thing, always have extra dry socks! Or at least a good friend who will load you a pair (thanks again Fred :icon_thumright:) :cool: m.

#15 ·
Great U-Turn in the middle of the crossing Fred!! :D

#16 ·
All I know is that water puts a lot more pressure on the bike. I stalled mine several times entering water until I figured that out. When your front tire enters the water start twisting the throttle. I have the carb vent mod so that wasn't the issue. The last time I rode through a flood I had water hitting the face of my helmet. I had to slow down. That was fun.

#18 ·
I wasn't showing off. My rear tire slipped on a submerged corrugated culvert thus spinning me around. It was just luck that I could ride the slide and not go swimming. Dan, you or your supposedly responsible wife should have warned me about those underwater hazards to navigation.

#21 ·
This one is on Kane Creek Road in Moab. Up Periscope!

#30 ·
Reactions: littletommy
#28 ·
That ticket seems like a combination poor motorcycle and poor jet ski whose cost would have likely purchased a good motorcycle and a good jet ski seperately. Notice this invention hasn't exactly set the world on fire. Maybe they just need to add an overhead gyrocopter rotor so it will also fly poorly. :p

#31 ·
A neighbor, many years ago, painted the top of a rock, mid stream, with orange paint.
If the orange cannot be seen, it is 24" or deeper.
Sometimes I wish I had better color vision!

Only once in 17+ years has it been too deep to cross. That time it was 6 feet.

Dirt road Soil Water resources Geological phenomenon Road

Water resources Geological phenomenon Waterway Dirt road Bank

#34 ·
#38 · (Edited)
So I had my daughter setting in front of me. We were riding on a main trail that had several pools of water. None had been more that maybe 12 inches deep. I took a different line and dropped into a hole that was, while setting on the seat, was up to my knees. It was somewhere near the fuel tank for a good 6 feet. I freaked to say the least. With my daughter on board, we both wear helmets off course but still I go slower and in sand and mud I will drop my feet off the pegs. Soooo my knees actually got wet. I have never had water so deep on any bike I have been on before. It was just momentary as it was a smaller deep hole. My daughter squealed with glee. When the front began to drop into the hole. I gunned it. That was my reaction. Gun it.

Apparently my answer I was looking for it is can at least for short distances ford water to the bottom of the gas tank. If it rans again. I will return with a yard stick and measure. If it does rain again. I will wear a bathing suit and test it out for grins.

#39 · (Edited)
So I had my daughter setting in front of me. We were riding on a main trail that had several pools of water. None had been more that maybe 12 inches deep. I took a different line and dropped into a hole that was, while setting on the seat, was up to my knees. It was somewhere near the fuel tank for a good 6 feet. I freaked to say the least. With my daughter on board, we both wear helmets off course but still I go slower and in sand and mud I will drop my feet off the pegs. Soooo my knees actually got wet. I have never had water so deep on any bike I have been on before. It was just momentary as it was a smaller deep hole. My daughter squealed with glee. When the front began to drop into the hole. I gunned it. That was my reaction. Gun it.

Apparently my answer I was looking for it is can at least for short distances ford water to the bottom of the gas tank. If it rans again. I will return with a yard stick and measure. If it does ran again. I will wear a bathing suit and test it out for grins.
There is a modification to help with deep water fording for our TW's. A forum member who passed away a few years ago came up with it. Search Lizrdbrth Y water ford modification or something like that.

This is an oldie but goodie of me crossing the Owyhee River in Eastern Oregon "without said modification". You'll get a kick out of it though I was a bit worried at the time. I took the air cleaner cover off, rung out the filter and it started back up a few minutes later. I rode back across but took a different line and made it with no problem. The things we do...and learn from eh?

Have fun in them water holes. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.