TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched for recommendations and not been successful.

Any suggestions appreciated. Bike will be outdoors 24/7. Subject to south Florida summer thunderstorms.

Bike is stock and the only anticipated addition would be a luggage rack. (Cyclerack probably)

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
312 Posts
From experience as a upholstery guy I would recommend having one custom made from sunbrella, it will last for 10 year's or better outdoors and is waterproof. It may be more expensive but I have foud that the ready made one's don't hold up. I have made a lot of covers and so has my fatherinlaw some still going 20 year's later.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I don't think I really paid any attention to it. I originally got one for my Harley in the medium size. It wouldn't fit over the windshield and saddlebags very good and I ended up using it on my TW in the shed, just covering it so that it couldn't be seen from the shed window. I have to say I don't know if it is waterproof or water resistant, although I am sure it is resistant. Sorry I couldn't have been more help. The ones at Autozone or Cyclegear I have no clue about at all.

LT

Read the reviews for the linked model. Lot of happy campers it seems but none say specifically that it is really waterPROOF.

Has yours been properly waterproof tested and which size did you get?

LIG

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dowco Guardian is very good. A+

Nelson Rigg makes a cheaper one but if water pools in it-water will penetrate. B

Saw a DR650 guy use a bungie from the cross bar to the tail rack to tent his cover up so no pooling occurs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From experience as a upholstery guy I would recommend having one custom made from sunbrella, it will last for 10 year's or better outdoors and is waterproof. It may be more expensive but I have foud that the ready made one's don't hold up. I have made a lot of covers and so has my fatherinlaw some still going 20 year's later.
LOL. Thanks 66. But at my age (76) longevity of a product is not a high priority. I would be happy with an under $100 fully waterproof, reasonably fitting cover.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
LOL. Thanks 66. But at my age (76) longevity of a product is not a high priority. I would be happy with an under $100 fully waterproof, reasonably fitting cover.
well I would still look into it, it might be cheaper than you think, and having it custom made fits the bike way better then the universal fit nothings do just my .02 I have made them for under 100(not out of sunbrella but something almost as good)

·
Registered
90 Posts
100% waterproof is a bad idea IMHO, water will condense inside and cause corrosion.

·
Registered
736 Posts
dowco are really good brand....butttt after the storm take the cover off and air it out, let the bike dry from condensation. a vehicle cover shouldn't stay on for-ever...will mess up the body work. unless the vehicle is stored indoors and its used as a dust cover.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anyway you can build a small shed to keep it in? Maybe something like a small carport (bikeport)? PVC or fence piping frame, covered with polytarp, panels joined with double-sided carpet tape.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyway you can build a small shed to keep it in? Maybe something like a small carport (bikeport)? PVC or fence piping frame, covered with polytarp, panels joined with double-sided carpet tape.
I have a garage now. But I am selling and moving to a senior citizen community. No garage or 'shed' But I think the 'CycleShell' will fly. Gonna try it I think. Most appealing of the suggestions proffered.

Otherwise it will probably be the heavy duty Dowco.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey LIG, nice to see another older gent on this forum. I'll be 75 in March. "I'm not as good as I once was, but as good once as I ever was.!"

Will

Reactions: sparky jan and Mel

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Hey LIG, nice to see another older gent on this forum. I'll be 75 in March. "I'm not as good as I once was, but as good once as I ever was.!"

Will
Summers on Squam Lake!!!!???? Well, I'll be damned! I didn't even know it still existed! I spent time up there with my grandmother in the mid 50's, at Camp Whatchamacallit. (East End, I think) Wonderful memories.:p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL. I hear you Will.

I gave up riding (Kawasaki Vulcan) ten years ago when two riding buddies were killed in a four month period.
It's tough down here (south Florida) because of all the seniors on the road. Many from up
north, unfamiliar with the roads, and talking on cell phones while trying to drive.
To say nothing of my greatest concern. Dark tinted windows. When I started riding (1952) I developed the
habit of watching (in town) the faces/eyes of other drivers. Can't do it now with all the heavily tinted glass
used down here to ward off the sun's rays.
I just plan to ride locally and mostly on old trails, power line trails and such. LOL. Hope I don't come across
any real off roaders. My lack of skills will be embarrassingly apparent. The last time I rode off road was in the 70's when
I had a little 125 elsinore. Rode that for three years in s/w Tenn. Lots of hill climbing and such. But back then
I was strong and had no trouble manhandling that little 125. With two shoulder surgeries behind me I doubt if I will be manhandling
my TW's 300 lbs.LOL.

Just reread what I wrote. Funny. Me at 76 being critical of senior car drivers. I guess it is just human nature to think, " well, I'M
different from them." Haha.

Won't be taking possession of my bike for two or three more weeks. The seller (a member here) was kind enough to store said
bike on his lanai until I finalize arrangements for its new home.

Take care and like you it is nice to know I am not the only old timer on the forum.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts