TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to what everybody here uses and how they like it. I've got a few pieces of gear that need a little help in the weather proofing department and was just looking for what the Pro's use. I think some good criteria would be

1. Overall rating
2. Ease of application
3. Fabric types, affects on color, durability etc.
4. Worst weather condition that it has been through and how it performed

This may seam a little cheesy and there's more than one way to skin a cat but I just don't trust 9 out of 10 product "reviews" that you find on most resale websites. Thanks for the time Gents!

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Curious as to what everybody here uses and how they like it. I've got a few pieces of gear that need a little help in the weather proofing department and was just looking for what the Pro's use. I think some good criteria would be

1. Overall rating
2. Ease of application
3. Fabric types, affects on color, durability etc.
4. Worst weather condition that it has been through and how it performed

This may seam a little cheesy and there's more than one way to skin a cat but I just don't trust 9 out of 10 product "reviews" that you find on most resale websites. Thanks for the time Gents!
3M Scotchguard. Long lasting "in my experience". I have used it on polar fleece watch caps, tents, sneakers, and every new car's floors and seats. No discoloration.

Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Agree 3M Scotchguard.

Although not for fabric a good spray for the bike to help prevent water corrosion is EEZOX, great stuff, sold mostly at gun places but I have used it on my bikes down here in the keys for years, and keeps the salt from corroding. Sure it would be great up north too.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Just read an article about waterproofing backpacks. don't know why it wouldn't work on other things as well.

Take mineral spirits and mix clear caulking with it until completely mixed. Take a paintbrush and apply and let dry.

·
Registered
394 Posts
3M Scotchguard. This is not a place you want to cheap out much on unless you enjoy the wet-dog look and feel.
Whatever you do DON'T buy this:
2015-05-12 21.35.39.jpg
or this:
2015-05-12 21.36.44.jpg

You'll be lucky to get through an afternoon's worth of gentle drizzle before being soaked to your skivvies and hating life
Get the good stuff and be happy :)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have used Camp Dry on fabric with good results. One thing I also tried with absolutely horrible results is a new product from Rustoleum called Never Wet. Stay away from this crap for sure. They claim it can be used on all sorts of items but I put it on my satellite dishes to help with snow and ice which it is specifically listed for. After a week of snow and ice I had to go up on the roof and remove the junk after I melted the ice and snow that was stuck on it worse than ever before. Never Wet is a complete farse and failure.

GaryL

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you gentlemen, I will be looking into 3m for sure. What don't these guys make that isn't worth its price?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts