TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have never owned one...just picked one up for the wife...just looking for advice on a powder to start working up a mule deer load...

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Jack O'Connor was the poster boy for the .270 back in the day. I believe his "pet" load was 49 grains of 4064 under a 130 grain bullet. But my memory ain't that great. That, I believe, was the load he found to be most accurate in a 24" barrel. I think his hunting loads were at times hotter and heavier. I recommend his book "Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns" if you are a gun guy. You can get a used copy off Amazon for around three bucks.

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Oh good, a re-loading thread!
I would go my trusty Speer reloading manual once I decided on bullet weight and construction but many others may have a lot more experience and knowledge with the 270. I just reloaded for magnum revolvers with slow burning powders so have nothing useful to share. Anxious to read other's replies though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
.270 win. Is one of my favorites. You need to check out the 130 Barnes TTSX above IMR4350. I believe you could work up a .5 MOA load w/ out any trouble. There a little pricey but who cares, a big Muley. And an ethical take down.... Priceless...!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Any of the medium to slower rifle powders would work fine, so if you already have a powder you use for other full size rifle cartridges that is what I would start with. 4895, 4064, H380 etc. would work fine. The 4350s, 4831, Winchester 760 etc. will be your top choices if you don't already have anything suitable.
Actually I think even the cheap .50 BMG powders that Jeff Bartlett (gibrass.com) carries works well for .270.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have used my 270 for many game animals, and is a good choice for the lady. I have used most bullet weights from 130 to 150 depending upon my use. I would suggest using your on hand powder if it is listed in the Speer Manual. I usually start by loading one powder weight below their listed recommend load with 9-12 round, the same for the recommended load, and a series of 9-12 with the load weight above the recommended. Every rifle barrel will have it's own accuracy load. Take your pick of what you like for accuracy. I find that some of the best accuracy is loaded down, not up.
My credentials----I brought home money form every competition I ever entered!
Mel

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hell of a good looking Remington in a great caliber......but put that original stock back on and glass bed that puppy and it will be even better IMO! How old is it?

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Even if you do not appreciate the looks of that thumbhole stock, it WILL make you a more accurate shooter in the offhand position. Since this is a hunting rifle I would leave it on. It is also easier to support the rifle with just your shooting hand while freeing your supporting hand to retrieve a grunt call or work some rattling antlers. Function before form.

Tom

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nice looking stock, and you can't go wrong with a Rem 700 action.
I've never personally loaded for a .270, so I'll also defer to those that have, but I've found that it really isn't too difficult to find a load combo that'll group tighter than most can shoot. Just pick a quality bullet, and find a loading that will deliver the velocity you're after, and shoot it a lot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My credentials----I brought home money form every competition I ever entered!
Mel
Hey Mel, are you a silhouette shooter?
I can remember a guy on a shooting forum going back a few years who posted as ??? in SLO (I forget his actual handle). I eventually learned that SLO meant San Luis Obispo.
He was predominantly a smallbore and airgun shooter from what I recall.
Sounded like lots of shooting opportunities in that area as I remember.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I fired precision target events, sponsored by individual gun clubs. There was no organization, or Association. Just high accuracy events with center fired calibers 243 and up.
Mel

·
Registered
394 Posts
Marking for future reference.
Good choice on the rifle :) My primary deer whacker is the bog-standard Rem 700 in .270 Win. Not fancy, but very accurate and with minimal recoil. 130 grain seems to work better in mine than the 150 YMMV.

(For the curious - the back-up rifle is a bubba'd Swedish Mauser that kicks like a mule. It'll chop through brush like no tomorrow though, so I keep it around *laughing*)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts